Caravan Alarm

Big Tim

My 1997 Avondale Landranger is fitted with a "Keen Electronics" "Concept Kel" Alarm. The instruction leaflet says that this is trigered, when turned on by:

(1) Coupling/uncoupling 12N plug

(2) Operating car footbrake when coupled

(3) Entering the caravan (infra-red sensor)

(4) Winding the rear steady

All of these features operate appart from (4). I have spoken to Avondale who insist that there should be a clearly visible sensor on the offside rear steady and that it must be faulty. I have looked closely at the offside rear steady and can see nothing that might be a sensor?! It looks exactly like the nearside rear leg!!

What am I looking for?

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this type of system?

I have become interested in this because I am thinking of switching to the Caravan Club for my insurance and to get the security discount I need to have an alarm operated by a rear leg sensor or tilt sensor.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Incidentally does anyone know it is possible to fit a loulder siren as the current 110db one seems rather quiet? Or is it worn out?

Thanks Tim

:) Tim, I don't know your alarm system, but I've recently fitted an SAS alarm in my caravan. This system also has a corner steady detector which is fitted inside the caravan and detects vibrations through the floor when the steady is wound up. I mounted mine over the front offside steady. It looks like a white oblong box approx 4" x2" x2" with a loop of grey cable sticking out of the front. Have a look inside the van over each of the steadies and see if you can find anything like this. Good luck, Mikey :)

Hi spursboy,

I intend to fit an SAS alarm this weekend. Where did you mount the siren. I am dead against cutting or drilling holes in the sides of the van as suggested by SAS. I was thinking of putting it under the floor,well away from any road muck.

Frank

:D Thanks Folks

I've now located the sensor on the nearside rear leg, not the offside as Avondale Customer Service (1?) insisted. I'm going to try cleaning it but if that does't work I'll be taking up the suggestion of contacting Keen Electronics.

:( An extra question - sorry if this sounds silly! Where is the siren likely to be located. The sound seems to be loudest by the fridge grills, could it be behind the fridge or under the 'van where there is a red box?!

Thanks again for the advice much appreciated.

Thanks

:D Frank, I mounted mine in the gas locker. I have also seen advice to mount it behind the fridge vent so it can't be seen. Good luck, although its not difficult. I did have a slight problem the first time I armed it, but I just repeated the instructions and have had no problems since.

Mikey :D

Hi spursboy,

I intend to fit an SAS alarm this weekend. Where did you mount the siren. I am dead against cutting or drilling holes in the sides of the van as suggested by SAS. I was thinking of putting it under the floor,well away from any road muck.

Frank

37945[/snapback]

:D Tim, I have seen advice from some alarm systems to mount the siren behind the fridge vent. Not a bad idea, open to the outside world and not immediately visible.

Mikey :D

:D Thanks Folks

I've now located the sensor on the nearside rear leg, not the offside as Avondale Customer Service (1?) insisted.   I'm going to try cleaning it but if that does't work I'll be taking up the suggestion of contacting Keen Electronics.  

:( An extra question - sorry if this sounds silly!  Where is the siren likely to be located.   The sound seems to be loudest by the fridge grills, could it be behind the fridge or under the 'van where there is a red box?!

Thanks again for the advice much appreciated.

Thanks

37986[/snapback]

Thanks for that Mikey.

The fridge vent seems the most likely hiding place for the siren.

A further question. How the vents secured. I can't see any sign of screw fittings on the outside. Are they just held on by sealant or are they screwed or secured in some other way on the inside, ie, behind the fridge?

Thanks

Tim