12v System

Andpat

Hello all,

I'm picking up my new 540UFe from FJ in October - I bought a 540WLU in June but it was stolen within 36 hours of returning to this country. A question I had with the earlier van that will still apply to the new one regards the 'big' 12v system that I had fitted. As you know, to activate the system you wind down the green knob on the battery. If you are on site with 240 mains hook-up, should/can the 12v system be left 'on' to keep the battery charged (without causing the charger to be overworked) or turned on only periodically to ensure a charge. On my English vans I have had a meter to indicate the battery charge but there's not one on the Hobby to prompt action. I tried to ask FJ this question but was never certain that understanding had been achieved on either side.

Grateful thanks for any advice.

Regards to you all.

Andpat

• 3 months later...

Dont think ive got a green lever to wind down on mine (495 ufe-2003). I drive away with the battery connecters on, and when i hookup to the mains, it automaticly takes over. Im almost sure that it also charges the battery while connceted to 230 hookup.

Nig

Doc would be the best for this one.

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

No green lever here either. (495UK 2005) FJ arranged it.

I just plug in the mains when on site, and use the battery the rest of the time.

There is a small switch on the side of the wardrobe. I never know which way to switch it!

All the best.

And try to keep this one for longer :(

No green lever for me either - there is a switch next tot he battery box (fitted by Decuyper) which they told me to change when on site & towing but not sure exactly what it does as it makes no difference to the lights etc! It all seems to work wel however!!

- there is a switch next tot he battery box

Hmmm dont think ive got a swish on the wardrobe, not 100% so ill check. Exactly where are your switches?

Nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

mine is about head height, and has a number of green diodes that show how much charge is in the battery, and then a switch beside them.

If you are not on mains, the switch will kill the lights.

I'm waiting for a wizard to explain it!

Cheers

David