Porch Awnings

nige60

Hi all, appologies if this has been on before,but the "wife" has deceided that for short trips away we have to get a light weight porch awning, she saw one on our recent trip away,but did not ask what it was until we returned home!

Any thoughts/recomendations, anyone have one,can they damage the sides of the caravan?

Regards,

Nige.

I'd definitely recommend the Herzog Mistral porch awning. It's made from lightweight reinforced tent material with fibreglass poles, and although it is in close contact with the side of the van it’s well padded and hasn’t damaged the van.

According to Jeff Bowen Awnings who I bought it off, it has a higher waterproofing rating than the Sunncamp Scenic which is similar in design.

Ours survived a storm in Ireland earlier this year which demolished our pup tent :o

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Hi

I dont know the name but argos is doing a porch awning at a reasonable price. :)

Hey - recommending Porch Awnings from non-independent stores! - I believe the Argos one is a Sunnflair one, but may be wrong.

The one with the thickest fabric and storm straps is the Outdoor Revolution Porch Lite. Go to www. blue-diamond-products. co. uk and click on products, then compact awnings for full details on it - and stockists.

It retails at £129. 99 so its not the cheapest on the market but will last.

• 3 weeks later...

We've got the Compactalite awning. Very quick and easy to put up and much bigger than the other lightweights I've seen. We've used ours twice now, the second time we didn't bother putting all the guy ropes up (because it has a lot) and it was fine with just the front corner guys and the 2 storm straps.

The last time we took it down, it cut an hour off our packing up time compared with when we normally have our full size Bradcott awning up.

Packs into a little holdall and is light as a feather (well as light as a weekend bag).

See the Compactalite here

Sharon

I'd definitely recommend the Herzog Mistral porch awning. It's made from lightweight reinforced  tent material  with fibreglass poles, and  although it is in close contact with the side of the van it’s well padded and hasn’t damaged the van.

According to Jeff Bowen Awnings who I bought it off, it has a higher waterproofing rating than the Sunncamp Scenic which is similar in design.

Ours survived a storm in Ireland earlier this year which demolished our pup tent :o

37767[/snapback]

After seeing Steves at our Clumber Rally I have just bought a Herzog for weekends away in winter rather than my full awning. Great piece of kit just used it for the second time this weekend. No storm straps though but not tested it in the conditions Steve saw.

Bought the Herzog as I though it was thicker than other makes.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Great choice of awning !! - I read a few horror stories about this type of awning with the lightweight tent material tearing etc, but had no problems to date.

As well as being more practical in Winter, for me the weight at 15 kilos and that you can easily stow it under the seats is another bonus :)

btw did you buy it from Jeff Bowen?

We recently bought a Scenic Plus, which is quite large enough for 2 chairs and a small table, a wet dog and two pairs of muddy boots!

It folds down into a small holdall, and weighs only 10. 5kg, so it will be permanently in the caravan 'just in case'. It cost I thnk £120 from Catterick Caravans, and is green and grey, or you can get a navy/grey version. 10 mins to erect, 10 m ins to peg out and fasten guy ropes. 10 mins to dismantle. The first time we put it up it was blowing a fair old gale, wouldn't have attempted a 'normal' porch awning, but this was fine.

general description

A new larger version of the best selling Scenic. It will fit most caravans that have a 3 metre long level channel over the door. The channel height should be measured from the ground and be between 225 cm and 240 cm.

dimensions - awning (cm) 275x200x 240 tall

weight 10. 5kg

material polyester ripstop 3000 mm HH

colour grey with navy

poles fibreglass

Hi Mark,

Great choice of awning !! - I read a few horror stories about this type of awning with the lightweight tent material tearing etc, but had no problems to date.

As well as being more practical in Winter, for me the weight at 15 kilos and that you can easily stow it under the seats is another bonus :) 

btw did you buy it from Jeff Bowen?

39523[/snapback]

No bought it from Riverside Leisure same price as Bowen but I had dealt with them before. The main reason I used to like them is they will accept an alternative address for delivery and will text you the day before it is sent to ensure someone is in. Unfortunately it did not work this time no text and delivered to my home address, by chance Teresa was home so no problem really!!

Mark

The herzog must be catching on now there's 2 outlets in the UK. ...spread the word :lol:

Correction to earlier post. ....the weight of the Mistral is 7kg not 15 :o

The herzog must be catching on now there's 2 outlets in the UK. ...spread the word :lol:

39655[/snapback]

About time too :D

I have a Herzog Mistral as well and love it. I think it's good quality and it's withstood some very strong winds with no problem.