Satellite Reception

KeithJ

Even better. .........They're selling satellite finders, with patch lead for  £3. 99

37738[/snapback]

The Satfinders are poor. .. we have had many punters bringing them in for checking after getting them from Lidl. We had a batch . .. looked like a good deal at the time. .. & kicked them back to our supplier!

Compass looks good value. .. but. .. most electronic units need to be calibrated each time you use it. I have one on my watch. .. & it works very well but you must spend 1 min to calibrate it or East is South :rolleyes:

Keith - I bought a cheap plastic Compass from Trago £1. 99. First make sure your dish is level. Compass then gives you a rough direction which will vary slightly from North to South etc. Compass also is handy for using prior to pitching i. e. to check for a clear line of sight for your Sat. Dish. I had no trouble in France this year and only used the compass.

Good luck

Mike B)

Keith - I bought a cheap plastic Compass from Trago £1. 99. First make sure your dish is level. Compass then gives you a rough direction which will vary slightly from North to South etc. Compass also is handy for using prior to pitching i. e. to check for a clear line of sight for your Sat. Dish. I had no trouble in France this year and only used the compass.

Good luck

Mike B)

37956[/snapback]

I agree, I have a multimo sat dish. I have a compass on my watch using this we find a pitch where the trees are not in line of sight. Once the caravan is level I put the dish on the roof of the caravan using a basic walking compass to get approx bearing, using the sat box strength and quality lines move the dish a small amount leave it for a few seconds to see if it has locked on. If not move it a bit more etc.

It normally takes about 5 mins to get it right.

I used the same approach in Europe with no probs. So I would suggest, try the basic way before you buy kit you my not need ;)

See Link

Malt, thanks for pointing out the problems with the calibrating the compass I do have difficulty understanding how it works :blink: .   Any simple suggestions on how to use it?

thanks keith

37942[/snapback]

Not quite sure what you want to know. . but here we go.

I have no idea how electronic compasses work. .. but I do know that you must calibrate them before using them. On both of mine. .. you push a button & rotate the compass anti clockwise whilst a marker moves on the screen going in a clockwise direction. Takes less than a min & it's done.

The satellites are located east or west of true south, south being the Greenwich line. The satellites that transmit Sky are located at 28 degrees east of true south, mag variation will apply as the compass is looking at mag north & therefore be adrift by a few degrees. This doesn't really matter as you are only using the compass for a direction guide. Once you know where you need to point your dish it's erection time. .. tripod up dish on it (or push a button & rotate on a posh one) & adjust the angle of dangle & east or west until the sat meter obtains the highest reading, check the lock indicator on the Sky box & enjoy!

I have stressed this many times already but I will do it again. .. The signal meter in the Sky boxes takes up to 6/7 seconds to respond to a signal strength change & are therefore very poor for use as an alignment tool. A good but cheap (£20) takes most of the guesswork out of it & all of the frustration B)

And now that I am the official sponsor of this section I can say BUY ONE FROM ME ! :D:D

Regards

Mal

Smallworld AV Design

0121 321 3000

Thanks all for the replies, while I do normally just use a basic compass I thought this one might be a bit more precise. I dont think it's going to be that much better.

Mal thanks for the offer, if hadn't already got a sat finder I buy one from you. ...........doh :)

My dish is mounted on an aluninium pole clamped to the jocky wheel so i can see the TV through the front window and see when i've got the best signal. Not had a problen tuning in with a compass although i will confess to buying one of the Lidl Sat finders for £3. 99 :rolleyes:

My dish is mounted on an aluninium pole clamped to the jocky wheel so i can see the TV through the front window and see when i've got the best signal. Not had a problen tuning in with a compass although i will confess to buying one of the Lidl Sat finders for £3. 99 :rolleyes:

38134[/snapback]

The Lidl meters are better than nothing. .. but only just B)

Mal