Towbar Bleeper

planner

I have had a single electrics towbar fitted to my car and it has a bleeper which operates whenever the indicators are used. Presumably this is to remind you that you are towing something - just in case you forgot :huh: The problem is that the bleeper is set at such a loud and harsh pitch that it makes my son cry everytime it goes off because it hurts his ears so much, and I can't say I find it very pleasant either. Is this something the towbar fitter should be able to alter or can I easily do it ;), and/or do I legally have to have a bleeper sound every time the indicators are used.

I have had a single electrics towbar fitted to my car and it has a bleeper which operates whenever the indicators are used.   Presumably this is to remind you that you are towing something - just in case you forgot :huh:  The problem is that the bleeper is set at such a loud and harsh pitch that it makes my son cry everytime it goes off because it hurts his ears so much, and I can't say I find it very pleasant either.   Is this something the towbar fitter should be able to alter or can I easily do it ;), and/or do I legally have to have a bleeper sound every time the indicators are used.

37719[/snapback]

Have a look where the buzzer is mounted, if it is mounted to the bodywork of the car try letting it "hang free" this sould reduce the noise if it does then cable tye the buzzer to the body but not to too tight. Another alternative is to have a dash mounted light insted of the buzzer, you must have an audible OR visable warning, but the light is more involved to fit and could be more than a few pounds.

Hi,

The buzzer in my old car drove the dogs mad.

Find the buzzer and wrap it in foam adding more layers till the volume is down to an acceptable level.

It will save you the cost and hassle of having a bulb wired to your dash.

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

As I understand it, when towing, you need by law to have indication that the trailer direction lights are working. That’s what the buzzer is for. You could have a lamp to do the same job. If the bulb on the caravan fails the buzzer or lamp will not work so you know you have a problem.

Either convert to a warning light arrangement or use insulating tape to surround the "grills" of the bleeper to suppress the volume.

Many cars have a dashboard lamp specifically for this but the bulb is often not fitted!

I had a bleeper on my last car (Passat) and I could hardly hear it. I have a warning light now on the Volvo, the towbar was fitted by Volvo from new and is part of the vehicles electrical system so that on board computer knows it is there. I don't know what the benefit of that is but it works, I can see the lights.

navigator

I have the reverse problem, my bleeper is so inaudible that i cant hear it when the car is moving coljac.

Hi coljac, I've a similar situation with my LWB Shogun TD which I bought used and tow equipped, with bleeper etc. Frankly, it's too quiet, even with the music turned right down I struggle to hear it which I find disconcerting. I want to know that my signals are working and that others are aware of my intended actions. I guess I'll have to locate the bleeper and make sure it's got no bluetack/insulation tape/whatever as there is no obviously convenient site for a warning light installation on the dashboard.

Regards, Ian.

Might I suggest to all that cannot hear the bleeper fitting one of the cheap hands free 'phone kits.

The one where you clip a tiny mic over the hearpiece and the adjustable sound comes through the speaker.

This can then be set at a suitable level

Can be powered from cig lighter or ignition feed

• 3 months later...
I have had a single electrics towbar fitted to my car and it has a bleeper which operates whenever the indicators are used.   Presumably this is to remind you that you are towing something - just in case you forgot :huh:  The problem is that the bleeper is set at such a loud and harsh pitch that it makes my son cry everytime it goes off because it hurts his ears so much, and I can't say I find it very pleasant either.   Is this something the towbar fitter should be able to alter or can I easily do it ;), and/or do I legally have to have a bleeper sound every time the indicators are used.

37719[/snapback]

All the law requires is that you are aware whether (or not) the trailer indicators are working.

A bleeper is one way, though these are available with different frequencies. Others have suggested dash mounted lights. The Land Rover range has them in the dash as standard.

I used to use a rear mounted LED in my old Saab which I could see through the rear view mirror and this worked well.

My Newer Passat uses a thing called a C2 module. This effectively uses the existing warning lights on the dash. In esence, it tells you if a light fails, not that it is actually working. The drawback is if you forget to put the plug in cos it aint THAT clever!

Regards

Others have suggested dash mounted lights.   The Land Rover range has them in the dash as standard.

47464[/snapback]

My Disco 1 (1993) has the light but it works intermittently - seems to work best at low revs. I feel it's because the voltage gets too high for it when the battery's charging but would welcome other views.

Sorry just realised this has collided with another thread - but still looking for answers!

My Disco 1 (1993) has the light but it works intermittently - seems to work best at low revs. I feel it's because the voltage gets too high for it when the battery's charging but would welcome other views.

Sorry just realised this has collided with another thread - but still looking for answers!

47696[/snapback]

Assuming your charging system is working correctly, the fault is almost certainly with the 4 pin flasher fitted. I would try another.

Regards

My Disco 1 (1993) has the light but it works intermittently

47696[/snapback]

I had a similar problem with my Disco 1 (1994). The left turn display was intermittent, although the trailer lights were functioning correctly. The solution was to thoroughly clean the 12N trailer plug and car socket. Try this first, but if the fault persists, do as Tont M suggests and replace the flasher unit.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I had a similar problem with my Disco 1 (1994). The left turn display was intermittent, although the trailer lights were functioning correctly. The solution was to thoroughly clean the 12N trailer plug and car socket. Try this first, but if the fault persists, do as Tont M suggests and replace the flasher unit.

Gordon.

47956[/snapback]

Thanks to you both, I'll have a look next week.

Archived