Spare Wheel Fitting For Continental Touring

RogerL

Do you change your spare wheel carrier to exit from the right before touring on the continent?

It's obvious really that a puncture while abroad will have you taking the carrier out in to the traffic lane, with all these inherent dangers.

But this would mean changing the carrier back for UK touring, either at the port of entry or when you get back home.

Avondale Group have solved this problem by fitting the spare centrally, with access from within the caravan.

I solved the problem by removing the carrier altogether and putting the caravan spare in the car boot, but what do other Al-Ko chassised caravanners do?

Its a good point and one that not many have thought about. Although the Al-Ko carrier is good for weight distribution, its not very convenient. I like the Avondale method its just a pity more manufacturers have not done the same.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Got an Avondale, not an issue.

Never even seen my spare wheel - assume it's still there. The reason I haven't seen it? Oh - the plastic is still down in the van (only a year old). There is a flap cut in the plastic where the dealer must've PDId it (or it was put in at the factory).

Do you change your spare wheel carrier to exit from the right before touring on the continent?

It's obvious really that a puncture while abroad will have you taking the carrier out in to the traffic lane, with all these inherent dangers.

But this would mean changing the carrier back for UK touring, either at the port of entry or when you get back home.

Avondale Group have solved this problem by fitting the spare centrally, with access from within the caravan.

I solved the problem by removing the carrier altogether and putting the caravan spare in the car boot, but what do other Al-Ko chassised caravanners do?

3320[/snapback]

In 10 years of caravanning we have never had a puncture, so why worry - until last year. Travelling to the Vendee we had a blowout on the offside(in France) tyre. The tread parted from the carcass and ripped a hole in the floor. I only noticed because the'van was leaning over although my wife wondered what the explosion was. Hit the brakes and pulled onto the hard shoulder. On the opposited carriageway was a maintenence crew who came over and helped us reverse the outfit 25 yards into a maintenence driveway, where we changed the wheel. (Tip: get an ALko side lift jack. Our bottle jack wouldn't go under the chassis or axle and we borrowed the Frenchman's trolley jack). 30 minutes and we were on our way.

2 weeks in France then back to Blighty. Thought I'd risk it without a spare. North of Newark on the A1 the other tyre exploded. No drama and no damage apart from a lost wheelarch.(And no tread again - picked it up off the carriageway after a very nice Traffic Cop stopped the traffic and lets us crawl 1 mile to a lay-by).

A friend brought another spare to us.

So whichever side the spare had been on it would have been wrong.

The tyres? Federal 8 ply fitted in July 2001 manufactured in August 2000. Sent back to the dealer and Federal who said "No manufacturing defect and out of warrenty - tough" The tyre dealer (Savoy Tyres Hull and Beverley) said "we'll give you 50% as a gesture of goodwill". I'm well impressed with that. They're going to fit a brand new to my spare (having bought two new wheels and tyres).

The answer? Murphy's Law and S**T happens.

Stay lucky

Mike

Archived