Levelling Conundrum

SEPS

Dear All,

Recently, we have notice that we need to go round winding down our steadies at least twice when we pitch up.

Do the usual levelling stuff when we arrive - go round making sure we are level, and steadies are firmly positioned against the ground . ..

Go into van - cup of tea, empty out lose contents for awning etc.

Check steadies (again!) - 2 or three will now be off the ground and need a couple of extra winds to get them down to the ground again ? After the first "levelling", and a little movement within the caravan, they seem to mysteriously raise themselves?

Didn't happen until a few months ago - only change has been to fit a pneumatic jockey wheel,but I can't see that that this would affect the levels . ..

Any thoughts anyone ?

Sarah

Try fitting clip on foot pads onto your steadies, you can buy a set of 4 for under a tenner from any camping accessory shop, helps spread the load and prevents the steadies digging into the ground which I reckon could be the problem :)

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

I think he is suggesting, as would I, that one corner is sinking causing the others to raise.

Chris

37689[/snapback]

I think Sarah needs to give us a little more information - I assumed that the van was still level, had it sunk on one corner then it would no longer be level. Personally I always use steady pads - mine are ten inch square pieces of solid timber and I also place one under the jockey wheel. B)

In fact we always use levelling pads, and a piece of wood under the jockey wheel, in the latest "incident" we were parked up on our very flat gravel, recently relaid, (expensive!) front drive.

It had been a long hot drive on Sunday (30 degrees, five hours), so I wondered if it was anything to do with the sub frame or tyres cooling ?

Thanks for taking an interest,

Cheers

Sarah

A caravan does not have shock absorbers, however removing some interior weight mayu allow it to rise. As tyres cool they get smaller so the van should come down. Interesting question!

In fact we always use levelling pads, and a piece of wood under the jockey wheel, in the latest "incident" we were parked up on our very flat gravel, recently relaid, (expensive!) front drive.

It had been a long hot drive on Sunday (30 degrees, five hours), so I wondered if it was anything to do with the sub frame or tyres cooling ?

Thanks for taking an interest,

Cheers

Sarah

37699[/snapback]

It sounds to me like the suspension is lifting the van after it has settled for a while - I do not know enough about the way it works but looking at the AL-KO drawing it does seem possible that during running it is compressing to it maximum and perhaps sticking there, then when rested for a while it recovers!

The other alternative is the your hydraulic jokey wheel is sinking or rising but that would make just the steadies at one end rise of the ground.

These are just theories of mine and I am sure there are more knowledgeable types out there who will have a more definitive answer. B)

Have you put on weight . ...... ? :)

This sounds very odd. I've never experienced anything similar. Could it be shock absorbers, or something else in the van suspension system ?

It sounds to me like the suspension is sagging during transit - maybe sticking in a "down" position - and then expanding up again as it cools/settles, thus lifting the van.

Don't worry SEPS your not on your own. After I've unloaded everything and re distributed the weight inside the van as you do when you arrive on site, I always go round and check the steadies - usually find that one or two are now 'loose' and tighten them. Have also noticed lots of other people doing the same. Perhaps the ones it doesnt happen too don't check them? :huh:

Eightofseven, you know you should never comment on a ladies weight ! tsk tsk ! :rolleyes:

I guess by removing some of the caravan contents we may shift the "centre of gravity" of the caravan and even cause the caravan to rise a little off it's suspension . .. but we are pretty careful on the amount we carry in the caravan, and I doubt wether removing a set of awning poles, an aquaroll, wastemaster and some chairs would cause the van to raise a couple of inches ?

If we do have "sticky suspension" would it be worth a service call out to investigate ?

Many Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Could it be that you first level your van fully loaded, then as you remove equipment the load lightens, thus the suspension raises lifting the steadies up.

We carry the aquaroll, wastemaster, chairs and table etc in our van.

As these are removed the van comes up on its suspension requiring the steadies to be re-adjusted.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Archived