Sign in to follow this  
norfolkguyuk

Do You Leave Your Water Heater On?

Hey Guys,

I live in my van full time, and I was just wondering - I have a carver cascade 2 water heater installed, which is obviously gas.

At the moment, I dont like to waste expensive calor gas so I turn on the hot water 30 mins before I want it, and turn it off after I have finished however I am wondering if this is the best option.

If I switch on and leave it on, then how much will the usage of gas increase? Obviously once the water is hot the gas shuts off, then on to warm etc etc etc, or should I continue to switch on and off.

I've already broken the sliding switch and had to repair it by refixing the switch on to the actual control panel so I am wondering if switching it on and off at least 2 times a day, every day will increase the amount of wear on the boiler / switch system.

So based on that, I'm not sure what to do - use more gas but less wear and tear - or risk the boiler and switch failing but save gas. ..?

What would you do?

It definitely uses quite a lot more gas to keep it on all the time, we used to do that at first when we had a cascade but someone told us to turn it off if not needed and it used about half the gas. As you say the problem is possible wear on the switch.

Before I had this van I did not have hot water and this leaves me with the same question as you.

I operate the water heater on gas when a lot is needed for a shower. Otherwise we heat a kettle for the pot washing.

On EHU we use it and it is a real luxury but we don't often hook up.

When on gas we switch it on about 20 minutes before morning showers and off immediately afterwards repeat the same in the evenings.

I think if I were full timing it I'd still follow the above because the saving in gas would be significant. . maybe enough over a couple of years to buy a new boiler (if necessary)!

HTH

G

Yh its just a worry a replacement switch even secondhand on eBay, is about £30, (which is one and a half gas bottles) - and if the whole unit goes then in to £200ish. ...

As it is at the moment, I've cut down a lot on my gas usage, I always use gas for the kettle and hot water, my fridge only works on mains (needs a repair lol) and I have an oil filled rad on low all the time instead of using the gas fire. .. a 7KG bottle of butane did last me just over a month and that was when I did use the gas heater - I'm now switching over to propane and going to change to FloGas because of the massive cost savings (11KG propane for about £19)... Its all swings and roundabouts, I dont want to change or convert everything to mains, because although I am on a proper site at the moment, I am planning on moving around and touring and I want to be able to drop in to a layby and sleep lol, so still going to use gas and 12v a fair amount :)

The other thing I am planning on doing is fitting a little 60W tubular heater in the shower/toilet room, just to take the chill off the room - and place it under the cabinet so its away from the water - they are splashproof ones anyway :)

Its hard to know what to do about the gas situation lol

Oh, what is EHU?

Edited by norfolkguyuk

EHU Electric Hook Up well i think its what it is lol

oh and hello fellow Norfolk Guy

EHU - electric hook up :)

good choice on moving to flogas lol (i would say that as i work for them)

back to your original question, when we are away in our van we tend to do the same as you, switch on 30 mins beofre requiring hot water. we boil kettle for pots or take them to the pot wash station. Like you say tho, you do one thing to save money and its a problem somewhere else and vice versa.

Edited by jamesnshell

Hi

EHU = electric hook up ie 230v

kot

pigs

Hi

If you are on electric hook up, the you can keep the cost of gas down by boiling the kettle for washing up etc rather than using the boiler. Aside, I also use an electric toaster etc, slow cooker and other similar items to keep gas costs down.

Russell

The other thing I am planning on doing is fitting a little 60W tubular heater in the shower/toilet room and place it under the cabinet so its away from the water - they are splashproof ones anyway :)

Oh, what is EHU?

EHU is Electric hook up.

Do take care with mains in the shower. It maybe splashproof but you conduct electricity very well. :o

Do take care with mains in the shower. It maybe splashproof but you conduct electricity very well. :o

Yh, that was my main concern but the toilet is a huge cold spot, there is a vent which is always open in the wall near the shower tray, but even with the roof vent closed it is freezing, but I dont like leaving the door open lol. ..

Its a shame there is no real way to fit a heater in a shower/toilet. . :(

You will have to hot shower quickly and then dry off quick. :lol: The vent is to stop condensation forming.

I have always switched on and left it on, at 1kw on gas it is quite frugal and after allowing to go cold it is on longer fully reheating than if just topping up several times. All would depend on actual use but savings will vary from negative savings to some savings.

In winter I would suggest you don't have an option but to leave it on? the cascades design means it's heat exchanger, set in the wall, will just as readily transmit cold to the water as heat, if the frost is severe enough the water tank will and does suffer expensive damage as many have found out this last year!.

For the record, I repair control switches as well as the rest of the Cascade and other Carver stuff, I'm also mostly a lot cheaper than ebay, plus, you get a meaningful warranty, at least 6 but often a full 12 months. ..unlike from Ebay sellers

Guest Rita

We always leave our water heater on all the time when on gas