Active Brakes For Caravan

Does anyone know anything about this ?

Can anyone translate Dutch ?

http://www. ivra. nl/accessoires_detail. asp?id=721&cat=3

It seems to be an active braking system but I can't read Dutch :-(

It could be the answer to the prayers of all of us who have suffered with bad snaking problems.

There is also an interesting levelling system on the site. Trouble is it looks a lot heavier than my two bits of plastic :-)

Guest Hobbybod
Does anyone know anything about this ?

Can anyone translate Dutch ?

http://www. ivra. nl/accessoires_detail. asp?id=721&cat=3

It seems to be an active braking system but I can't read Dutch :-(

It could be the answer to the prayers of all of us who have suffered with bad snaking problems.

There is also an interesting levelling system on the site. Trouble is it looks a lot heavier than my two bits of plastic :-)

37582[/snapback]

Ivra seem to be, or are part of, Reich, and the 'Brake Control' system has been on the market for some time, but is not mentioned on the English version of the Reich site; you have to look at the German version here.

They did have a 'fail-safe' problem with it, but I should think this has been addressed.

There is in fact an anti-snaking system using electronic braking control on the caravan, called ELAS. Can't find the website at the moment, but it's supposed to be very effective.

My German dealer was fitting it as an option for ~600€ last year!

Guest Hobbybod
I thought this system was withdrawn from sale because of a number of incidents when the (electric) brakes locked on. I thought they were developing a revised version.

37618[/snapback]

Roger, you are correct that they'd had problems with it, as I intimated.

A couple of years ago, at one of the shows, I spoke with a German engineer at Reich (Ivra) about this very problem. He was aware of the problem (on a Swift run by the then MD of Swift, IIRC) and reckoned that they were sorting it out. Speaking with the UK Reich guys they intimated that they had sold a fair few over the years and so my offer of a 'cheap' test drive of their system on my 'van was declined, as unecessary!!

Personally, I would not bother with the 'Brake Control' system now (currently on the German website, BTW) but I might consider the LEAS electronic braking, antisnaking system see here if the price was right; and fitted for ~600€ isn't bad.