Sign in to follow this  
tony23

Thermostatic Shower

I seem to use a lot of my hot water,fiddleing with the over sensitive manual mixer tap fitted to our 2009 ranger gt60,which uses the normal plug in pump with outside water container, water heating via truma 8ltr unit

Has anybody tried fitting a domestic type thermostatic shower valve of the type used on tank feed systems which i understand work on a fairly low head ?

try useing a echo head for the shower, u gettwice as much useage out of the water

Thanks for that, i do have a faily low flow rate head fitted already. My problem is setting up and maintaining a constant flow and temperature.

Thermostatic shower.

My original shower valve blew its seals and as a replacement was difficult to obtain and expensive as well as not very well made I fitted a normal household shower vale instead. The knelt thing I had to do was fit a separate switch outside the cubical for the water pump. When I want a shower I switch the pump on then open the valve and I have a good supply of hot water, works well for a fraction of the price.

I also would be very interested hearing of anybodies experience of successfully introducing a thermostatic hot water mixer into our low pressure water systems.

I note CAK Tanks do two hot supply ones 3/8th and 1/2" BSP [page 48 of their new brochure] but they give no pressure drop info.

I use a trigger shower head only need to set temp once for two showers for me and my gal and only £7 odd quid on ebay .

Bob

Mine isn't thermostatic - although I don't have to twiddle the taps. I turn only the one control for correctly adjusted temperature. My system uses a 15mm straight through radiator valve added to the Whale shower outlet.

post-261-0-47665200-1321022255_thumb.jpg

Unless they are fitted with a non--return valve most in-line mixers don't have a very high specified minimum pressure (the one I have here is 0. 1 bar) just a maximum which is normally quite high, much higher than anything you would get in a caravan.

At 0. 5 bar the ISO specification says you should get at least 10 litres a minute, most will give about 15 litres though.

The main issue with an in-line one would be the cold water temperature variance, most will only tolerate +/- 10o C but if the valve was in a semi-accessible place like a cabinet it could be adjusted as necessary.

Many thanks for all the aboue guys, I think the only way to find out if it will work is to do a tempory muck up. So I am off to see if i can borrow a valve from a plumber mate. Will post when done.

Again many thanks