Phantom Tracking System

Message added by CT Advertising,

logoPhantom250px.pngSecure and reliable tracking system for caravan, motor home and car owners. High-quality security at affordable prices, tailored to your specific needs. Find out more

Has anyone has use of the Phantom Tracking System. I have just got a new van and so am contemplating fitting one as a security system. It sounds expensive but so is a new van. Once fitted and a sub of some £59 a year for monitoring, I thought it may be worth it.

What do you think?

CRiS seem to like the Phantom system.

Rooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Has anyone has use of the Phantom Tracking System. I have just got a new van and so am contemplating fitting one as a security system. It sounds expensive but so is  a new van. Once fitted and a sub of some £59 a year for monitoring, I thought it may be worth it.

What do you think?

Rooster

37382[/snapback]

We had it fitted earlier in the year and I can only praise the company for its efficiency in fitting the system - so far the caravan has not been stolen SO I have not had to try it out in anger!

BTW if you take the three year package it does save a bob or two. B)

i have one fitted,the pro version(tracked at all times).if caravan is moved without you knowing,phantom will ring you almost immediately to say your van has moved and to see if its you or someone else. the basic package you actually have to tell them its moved(stolen) before they will track it.

subs are or were about£90 per year or £295 for 5 years . it does give you piece of mind. a lot of insurance companies now are making it mandatory for a tracking sytem to be fitted if you van is worth £15000 or more.

http://www. caravan-alarms. co. uk/index. htm

I quite agree, if it's insured and recovered you have to have it back. ..so why should we have to put up with accepting "soiled goods" if we are already paying over the odds for our premiums :angry:

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

If some scunbag stole my van I would prefer they keep it after they have soiled it. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

37394[/snapback]

A good tracker system will recover the van before the tea-leaves have a chance to spoil it - most companies reckon 2 to 3 hours and the van/car/bike is in the hands of the police - who will then call you and offer you the following:-

1/- Tell you where it is and you recover it.

2/- For a small fee guard it for a limited period until you can recover it.

3/- For a larger fee remove it to a compound for your recovery later.

I am told that we should always try for option 2 B)

If some scunbag stole my van I would prefer they keep it after they have soiled it. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

37394[/snapback]

with the pro device i shouldn't think they would have the time to get their a--- settled in the drivers seat,never mind the caravan

Has anyone has use of the Phantom Tracking System. I have just got a new van and so am contemplating fitting one as a security system. It sounds expensive but so is  a new van. Once fitted and a sub of some £59 a year for monitoring, I thought it may be worth it.

What do you think?

Rooster

37382[/snapback]

I had my Van stolen (at three weeks old) and the hassle / annoyance / issues that I have had to attend to dealing with the claim for the Van / Equipment / personal belongings has taken me over seven weeks so far and is still far from resolved fully.

The Van and equipment have been replaced and being very serverly burnt I have had a pro-active Tracker fitted from Phantom. Excellent service and I have tested their response time by 'forgetting' to disable the sensors prior to moving the van from one place to another. It was two minutes!

Would seriously recommend anyone with a Caravan to look at this or other simular systems to protect their investment. If it is recovered in a damaged state then repairs would (as far as I am concerned) be covered by the insurance, but you haven't loss absoultly everything as I did.

GUJ

Isn't "Tracker" a loT cheaper and has a one off option subscription payment.   I think you have "£299" and it is a life subscription, as opposed to paying £199 every year for the rest of your life.   http://www. tracker. co. uk/home. php

37605[/snapback]

Fees are all about the same which ever company you use what varies is the fee for the level of service:-

TRACKER Monitor £299. 00

Duration of Ownership £325. 00

Installation £150. 00

SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) £774. 00

Which is about the same as the Phantom ProActive system

The other more basic system for Tracker:-

TRACKER Retrieve £199. 00

Installation £100. 00

SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) £624. 00

Which again is about the same as the Phantom Target system

As the old saying goes 'You gets what you pays for' B)

Phantom Pro active is instalation £499 and then an annual sub. The best is a sub of £299 for five years which is equal to under £60 a year.

There are a few perks if you are a Caravan or Camping Club member.

But I do agree if you are alerted within 15'' on average then the spoiling is limited. In that time they would not be thru the gate!!!!

Rooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Guest Hobbybod

Right folks,

I don't wish to partcularly denigrate Phantom and Tracker systems, but I think the ~£90/p. a. service charge is way over the top.

There are GPS location/warning systems which require no such annual charge, see here for some alternatives.

These operate in a very similar way to Phantom etc. but do not involve a 'third party' call centre; the 'alert' message goes directly to your own mobile 'phone to warn you that, either the 'van has been entered, &/or that it has moved location.

You then take the appropriate action yourself!! AK 47's, mates and baseball bats, or perhaps more appropriately telling the police!!

This annual charge (of Phantom etc.) can be avoided, and I'm given to understand that there are systems which allow tracking of the embedded mobile phone in the 'van, on your own computer; for a very small fee.

There is further discussion on this in the Security section of the Hobby Owners Club forum. (Hobbys are especially targeted for removal from their owners, by certain freckle-faced members of the community!!).

Right folks,

I don't wish to partcularly denigrate Phantom and Tracker systems, but I think the ~£90/p. a. service charge is way over the top.

There are GPS location/warning systems which require no such annual charge, see here for some alternatives.

These operate in a very similar way to Phantom etc. but do not involve a 'third party' call centre; the 'alert' message goes directly to your own mobile 'phone to warn you that, either the 'van has been entered, &/or that it has moved location.

You then take the appropriate action yourself!!  AK 47's, mates and baseball bats, or perhaps more appropriately telling the police!!

This annual charge (of Phantom etc.) can be avoided, and I'm given to understand that there are systems which allow tracking of the embedded mobile phone in the 'van, on your own computer; for a very small fee.

There is further discussion on this in the Security section of the Hobby Owners Club forum.   (Hobbys are especially targeted for removal from their owners, by certain freckle-faced members of the community!!).

37648[/snapback]

You may be right but for the 'very reasonable' fee I am happy to leave it to someone else - especially as most of the time I don't have my mobile switched on! And Phantom work on the basis that if they can not raise you by phone they assume the van is being moved illegally.

You may be right but for the 'very reasonable' fee I am happy to leave it to someone else - especially as most of the time I don't have my mobile switched on! And Phantom work on the basis that if they can not raise you by phone they assume the van is being moved illegally.

37649[/snapback]

This is not the case with Phantom, they never assume that your van is moving legally, they ALWAYS ring you they can never assume anything. Something you also need to be aware of. It is good that you can "forget" to de-activate the unit to test the response but beware, this is not a bottomless pit, there is a limit to the number of calls that are allowed on any one account. This limit has been put on by Vodaphone who handle the mobile calls, there is an upper limit as we found out. Once the limit has been reached you will need the limit resetting and there MAY be a charge.

navigator

This is not the case with Phantom, they never assume that your van is moving legally, they ALWAYS ring you they can never assume anything. Something you also need to be aware of. It is good that you can "forget" to de-activate the unit to test the response but beware, this is not a bottomless pit, there is a limit to the number of calls that are allowed on any one account. This limit has been put on by Vodaphone who handle the mobile calls, there is an upper limit as we found out. Once the limit has been reached you will need the limit resetting and there MAY be a charge.

navigator

37657[/snapback]

I assume NAVIGATOR that you are involved in the industry and therefore your forthright message above is correct - if so then it seems that I have been given incorrect advice - admittedly that advice was not in writing but that is the advice I was given, i. e. they will try and contact me on my land line and my mobile and if no response they will then action the call from the van. :blink:

Thanks Hobbybod for that info. All very useful. I know that Phantom seems expensive but so is the cost of the new van. I don't mind paying £60 a year to ensure peace of mind and also getting 25% off my insurance. I have not subtracted that but certainly reduces the annual sub even more.

I understand that the call frequency needs to be more than a dozen a year before an extra fee is considered. That is false calls.

Thanks again for the Hobby info.

Rooster

Fees are all about the same which ever company you use what varies is the fee for the level of service:-

TRACKER Monitor £299. 00

Installation £150. 00

SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) £774. 00

Which is about the same as the Phantom ProActive system

The other more basic system for Tracker:-

TRACKER Retrieve £199. 00

Installation £100. 00

SUB TOTAL (inc. VAT) £624. 00

Which again is about the same as the Phantom Target system

As the old saying goes  'You gets what you pays for' B)

37607[/snapback]

This means that if you keep the van 5 years the cost is £65 and anything over 5 years is a bonus as opposed to PHANTOM who will be charging you another 5 years subscription at £299.

I have a phantom tracker on my new Bailey Senator.

After buying a new van earlier this year we went away in it a couple of weeks later to try everything out. 2 weeks after this the van was stolen.

Most people may not know but once you inform your insurance company that your pride and joy is missing and you make a claim they cancel your policy. So when my new van was delivered I had to take up another policy and a further £580.

If I had fitted a tracker to my original van I perhaps would not have gone through all the grief of loosing it and have been no worse off financially

I assume NAVIGATOR that you are involved in the industry and therefore your forthright message above is correct - if so then it seems that I have been given incorrect advice - admittedly that advice was not in writing but that is the advice I was given, i. e. they will try and contact me on my land line and my mobile and if no response they will then action the call from the van. :blink:

37686[/snapback]

Ted,

I'm not in the industry I'm speaking from experience from my enquiries with Phantom prior to purchasing my system. If you Phantom activates, the control centre has to verify that the alarm is genuine, if it is and you van is not with you, the Phantom advise you to ring the local police and obtain a crime reference number, you pass the crime reference number to Phantom, they contact the police force concerned and tell them where the van is and update them with its location until it is found. If Phantom were to action the call from the van because they couldn't reach you for whatever reason, and it was a false alarm, ie you were towing happily along off on holiday and the police stopped you - it wouldn't look very professional.

Don't take my word for it ring Phantom and ask for either Steve or Mark and they will tell you I assume what they told me.

Just as a matter of interest Ted, how does your Phantom arm itself, can you physically switch it off/on?

navigator

[Navigator

There is an arming switch which you yourself initiate. According to Phantom the recovery rate is 100% and generally within 45''.

It does need a bumpy road to start transmitting to the satellite and then to control. I asked what was a bumpy road and they replied a manhole cover would be sufficient to trigger the start. Then every bump after that would be a further signal giving away its route and speed.

rooster

i would just like to add my small reponse we have a phantom proactive and all i can say its bloody brilliant apart from one teething problem when fitted it has worked well on all occasions.

i have spoken to phantom a number of times and its always been helpful no matter what the call was regarding my response times have varied from a min to two mins but all the same that is not bad and a couple of times when i have spoken to them (not the control centre) they can tell me where the van is to the very spot.

all i can say is again phantom all the way

not wanting to bad mouth any other companys but we deal / get involved with another tracking company with plant mach and its bloddy useless (ok the last time we were involved they got the digger back but only after spending four days stopping every digger on trailer, or in yards with in the 2 mile triangle it must of been painful for the owner knowing it was there somewhere.

well done phantom as far as i am concerned you are the best i have never had a van nicked (touch wood) but everything you have done with me as a cust as been amazing.

Ford Ranger Thunder 2007 2200kg KW

Elddis Crusader Cyclone 2010 2100kg MTPLM

Ted,

Just as a matter of interest Ted, how does your Phantom arm itself, can you physically switch it off/on?

navigator

38255[/snapback]

Ours is linked to the SAS Alarm system so it is the SAS alarm we set/unset with a remote control fob.

The phantom Proactive use a GPS device along with its own information sender (a sort of mobile phone) and it is triggered if the alarm is triggered either by the passive movement detector or the tilt sensor.

So as far as the tracking system is concerned we do not have to do anything - except to remember to unset the alarm before entering the van B) - unless we want a false alarm or to test the system. :unsure:

[Navigator

There is an arming switch which you yourself initiate.   According to Phantom the recovery rate is 100% and generally within 45''.

It does need a bumpy road to start transmitting to the satellite and then to control. I asked what was a bumpy road and they replied a manhole cover would be sufficient to trigger the start. Then every bump after that would be a further signal giving away its route and speed.

rooster

38407[/snapback]

Rooster,

We have a an actual on/off switch in a concealed location, we have a mercury tilt switch built in to the unit which we paid extra for. Once we arm the system it only needs the van to move in any direction, if we arm the system and there is a strong enough wind, the phantom will activate if we don't put the legs down. I only wanted to enquire how others activated their systems, Phantom did tell me that it is normally activated in conjuction with an existing alarm system as Teds does we don't have any other system hence the tilt switch. I don't think a bumpy road was needed though>

navigator

Guest Hobbybod

Forgive me if I seem a bit 'nice but dim', but does Phantom not activate itself purely by a change in GPS location as many of the other systems do?

That's what I took to be the whole point of such systems; move out of the 'set' GPS footprint (~20m) and the system is alerted, via the integrated mobile 'phone system. {Consequential 'tracking' can also then take place}

Why are tilt switches etc. needed, other than to activate other associated 'alarms' or protect against 'entry' as well as movement?

I'm puzzled.