Renewal Premium

bfgbeanieking

Wonder what I'm doing wrong, as Safeguard want £100 more from me this year. ...

Both Caravan Club and Camping & Caravan Club are coming in so much cheaper!

It's a strange World!

maybe the same cover just hope you dont need to use the " service" as i am sure thats were the cc will come out on top as per an earlier thread when a member had his van replaced in around two weeks ! now thats worth paying the extra for, jim

All those people are paying the CC based on their reputation for excellent service. I'm sure that they are not perfect - there must be some instances of them not getting it right - and equally sure that other companies can offer similar levels of service. Indeed, the insurers used by the CC will undoubtedly be in the market under different names, i wonder who they are?

Paying £100 or £150 for the privilege of being with the CC seems excessive but the only real test is to make a claim and I hope I never have to do that!

I suppose you pays your money . ...

Just got off the phone and both CC and Bakers Towergate insurers have advised that instead of fitting both Alko secure locks we can fit just one plus a sold secure wheel clamp and still qualify for the discount. In addition, we can disconnect the interior alarm sensor (the tilt sensor etc continues to function) and we still get the discount. This means we can leave the cat or dogs in the caravan and still have the alarm activated. Why this is not standard like on a car, I do not know. So bonus there as no change to premiums.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Have used Caravan Club insurance twice and excellent service. This year our premium due in September automatically went down. Cannot beat that.

I have also gone with SafeGuard as they were £220 cheaper than the CC for a better level of cover. As they are part of Swinton Group who is owned by AXA I believe this is good enough for me.

Gulp! How much are you guys paying?

The differences in premiums you are talking about are, in some cases, more than my premium is to start with.

£162 with CC.

I have also gone with SafeGuard as they were £220 cheaper than the CC for a better level of cover. As they are part of Swinton Group who is owned by AXA I believe this is good enough for me.

Gasp, the two insurers I detest the most mentioned in the same post. We have the same caravan and have been quoted £317 per annum so if you are £220 cheaper that means you are paying £97 per annum for cover on your caravan. Now that is a good deal. Would you like to confirm it?

PS Do you know if you can get a 10kg BP gas bottle in the front locker?

Lunar Delta TI

Our no claims was 1 year as we had an incident last year. We have not got European cover otherwise same as you it seems. Storage is a CASSOA gold site.

Lunar Delta TI

Trying to compare insurance premiums is really impossible as so many factors come into play. Where you live, your age, occupation and of course the vehicle itself all make a difference. Even trying to use one of the comparison websites is not always a good idea as they will rarely give exactly the same cover options. The other thing that puts me off them is that you have to input all your personal data, and then get bombarded with e mails for ever. If someone knows one where you just input the car type, posrtcode and your age and gives a generic quote, then i would be more interested. It would allow you to see which ones require further investigation.

Caravan insurance.

I had a claim with Safeguard and I couldn't fault them. I think caravan insurance is like that for cars it's worth checking all your options.

Edited by Sterling T

All those people are paying the CC based on their reputation for excellent service. I'm sure that they are not perfect - there must be some instances of them not getting it right - and equally sure that other companies can offer similar levels of service. Indeed, the insurers used by the CC will undoubtedly be in the market under different names, i wonder who they are?

Paying £100 or £150 for the privilege of being with the CC seems excessive but the only real test is to make a claim and I hope I never have to do that!

I suppose you pays your money . ...

Very very true. I can give you a good example of this. We had our van stolen from storage about 18months ago and it took the CC 8weeks (qouted 4 weeks usual/6 weeks max)too sort it out (new for old).You dont just deal with the CC you also have too deal with the loss adjusters and the insurance company. In other words three different offices. Also all money paid on the current policy is lost and you have too start again when you get another van so if you had just renewed your policy it could be a sizeable loss. Contents can be another problem with no more than £150 for any tv set no matter how much it cost to buy. No problems with the payout but not the most straightforward system you might think.

peter.

We had no issues with CC when we put in a claim for damage. Sorted in less than 48 hours. Same applied to Towergate.

Lunar Delta TI

CC insurance is CC in name only . ... as a previous poster has pointed out . ..they are 'underwritten' by someone else.

there are very few Insurance Companies, but lots of 'sellers' of Insurance Policies .

I was insured via Tesco for the car, that got expensive and i changed to Churchill ------ it's the same Company, so why the difference in price??

CC insurance is CC in name only . ... as a previous poster has pointed out . ..they are 'underwritten' by someone else.

there are very few Insurance Companies, but lots of 'sellers' of Insurance Policies .

I was insured via Tesco for the car, that got expensive and i changed to Churchill ------ it's the same Company, so why the difference in price??

Commission! CC is underwritten by Axa, Aviva and Lloyds. Most caravan policies are underwritten by these three and it depends on how some greedy brokers adds on commission. Towergate offered us identical insurance to CC but £34 cheaper. Both have no issues with paying on a claim so not too sure which one to take as current insurance with CC.

Lunar Delta TI

"Also all money paid on the current policy is lost and you have too start again when you get another van so if you had just renewed your policy it could be a sizeable loss."

This is because the subject matter of the insurance has been lost - ie stolen or written off. Insurance 'law' dictates that, after such a loss, the cover has been 'used' and needs to be reinstated. The same applies to the total loss of a vehicle. Some insurers do not apply this principle in the event of a total loss, but those that do are fully entitled to do so. Furthermore, an increasing number of insurers will require full reinstatement of the cover in these circumstances, simply because margins are tight, times is hard and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just run the renewal gauntlet. Currently with tower gate who wanted 50 quid more bringing quote to 330. 00, cc wanted 435, c and c club, 250, cover4 undercut everyone and finally got insurance for 220- haappy bunny and got legal cover thrown in, new for old policy with 280 days European cover. Happy! 1 year ncd.

I've just run the renewal gauntlet. Currently with tower gate who wanted 50 quid more bringing quote to 330. 00, cc wanted 435, c and c club, 250, cover4 undercut everyone and finally got insurance for 220- haappy bunny and got legal cover thrown in, new for old policy with 280 days European cover. Happy! 1 year ncd.

We always look for an insurance company that gives no hassles on a payout even if they cost a few pounds more but not like £100 or more.

Lunar Delta TI

I agree, that's why I asked cc to quote but at almost 200 more, I dont think it's worth it. I can see exactly where you are coming from though.

We always look for an insurance company that gives no hassles on a payout even if they cost a few pounds more but not like £100 or more.

I have just today insured our new van with the Caravan Club, £23000 new for old with all available discounts except the one for secure Storage; £256. I paid more last year but now have more discounts, I was quoted £225 by Caravan Guard and although I am not the CC greatest fan I do seem to hear mostly good about thier insurance services and for £25 didnt seem worth changing.

David