Is an analog LNB the same as a digital LNB? A friend says (on the phone) that his analog FRENCH LNB connected to a new French digital tuner to receive French TV.

I ask this as I installed for my french teacher wife a cheapo French analog kit many years ago - which still works, but we now have a new TV with a digital freestat input and I am temptedto plug the cable from the LNB directly into the TV. But will this be compatable? or, knowing my luck blow up our new v expensive TV?

A home set up not a caravan question really but this forum has experts on everything!

You need a TV with Freesat to plug the lead from the LNB in direct and from what you say that is what you have got

My Panasonic with Freesat works off the same LNB lead in (F connector screw in )as the Sky+ box

The Sky+ via the RF out coax tunes to the analog scale on our TV

Is an analog LNB the same as a digital LNB? A friend says (on the phone) that his analog FRENCH LNB connected to a new French digital tuner to receive French TV.

I ask this as I installed for my french teacher wife a cheapo French analog kit many years ago - which still works, but we now have a new TV with a digital freestat input and I am temptedto plug the cable from the LNB directly into the TV. But will this be compatable? or, knowing my luck blow up our new v expensive TV?

A home set up not a caravan question really but this forum has experts on everything!

No it will not blow your tv up, as far as i'm aware you can get freesat hd through an ordinary lnb (well I do anyway) but if the sat dish is aligned for french channels you wont get freesat anyway (unless french tv comes off the same sat as freesat) HTH

Edited by basilfawlty

Thanks for the quick replys, I will have a go tomorrow. It is french channels that I'm after for my french teacher wife. We are still getting 4 analog french channels via sattelite, and we are surprised they have not been switched off yet.

My TV is also a Panasonic with a sattelite input. My dish is of course pointed at the correct French satt already.

Thanks for the quick replys, I will have a go tomorrow. It is french channels that I'm after for my french teacher wife. We are still getting 4 analog french channels via sattelite, and we are surprised they have not been switched off yet.

My TV is also a Panasonic with a sattelite input. My dish is of course pointed at the correct French satt already.

Hi Chris the only thing that bothers me is that if your tv has just got a freesat tuner then you will not get the french channels if it has some sort of universal sat tuner then you should be ok.

Hi Chris the only thing that bothers me is that if your tv has just got a freesat tuner then you will not get the french channels if it has some sort of universal sat tuner then you should be ok.

Yes I was wondering that, then I remembered that I have a Aldi "Sat in a suitcase" and I can use the tuner in that which I can SCART into the TV. I have picked up some odd programs on that. I would not have guessed that a LBN could be used for signals that are analog or digital. Still I will have a play tomorrow.

It works! I have used my nearly 20 year old dish / LNB and connected it to my Aldi "dish in a suitcase" tuner and now get many French digital channels. My dish is pointing to Hotbird 13 E.

So, the LNBs are universal and the advantage of the Aldi tuner is that it can tune into many different sattelites.

It works! I have used my nearly 20 year old dish / LNB and connected it to my Aldi "dish in a suitcase" tuner and now get many French digital channels. My dish is pointing to Hotbird 13 E.

So, the LNBs are universal and the advantage of the Aldi tuner is that it can tune into many different sattelites.

I must admit I am not up to date with French satellite reception since I stopped using a free to air analogue earlier this year. I am surprised you say you are getting "many" French free to air digital channels on Hotbird at 13°E as I thought a card was required for Fransat reception.

I did have free to air digital from 5°W via my Humax freesat box but these channels are now encrypted.

Please tell what French free to air channels you are receiving as a recent check shows none without a card and paired receiver.

I must admit I am not up to date with French satellite reception since I stopped using a free to air analogue earlier this year. I am surprised you say you are getting "many" French free to air digital channels on Hotbird at 13°E as I thought a card was required for Fransat reception.

I did have free to air digital from 5°W via my Humax freesat box but these channels are now encrypted.

Please tell what French free to air channels you are receiving as a recent check shows none without a card and paired receiver.

I get 20 channels. Bit long to list but includes

France, 2, 3, 5, O

TMC, LCP, Normandie TV, Paris TV, TV5 Monde, etc

+ one ?Portugese ? channel.

A load of radio stations as well.

I have no card, just the basic tuner that was included in the Aldi package.

France, 2, 3, 5, O

Thanks. Seems they are the same as the analogue channels that are (were?) on 5W. No TF1 only 2, 3 and 5 main channels. I am surprised they are free to air must do an other satellite scan on my Humax freesat receiver.

A analogue LNB will only pick up analogue transmitted signals and the same goes for a digital LNB will only pick up digital signals . The receiver would need to match either analogue or digital . A universal LNB will receive both but will depend on a digital or analogue receiver

New saterllites are digital as they can handle more channels than the old analogue saterllites .

http://www. maplin. co. uk/Media/PDFs/List_by_Satellite. pdf

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

There are no such things as "digital or analogue LNBs." Universal LNBs are able to receive Hi and Lo band signals.

In the early days of satellite in the UK the LNB for Sky was Lo band, and this was changed when Sky increased the number of channels. When digital satellite was introduced I doubt if there were any Lo band LNBs around. I installed my motorised system almost twenty years ago when there were only analogue channels. This was used for D2mac transmissions, that were analogue, as well as Sky. The same LNB was used for digital transmissions when they superseded analogue.

As Robbie stated, there are no such things as "digital or analogue LNBs" any more than there are "analogue or digital kitchen taps". An LNB is completely transparent to the signals it passes. All it does is to change them "en bloc" to a lower frequency band. It doesn't "care" whether the signals are carrying digital or analogue data - just as a kitchen tap doesn't "care" whether it's passing fresh water or chlorinated.

See http://www. satcure. co. uk/tech/lnb. htm

France, 2, 3, 5, O

Well I am puzzled.

The French digital channels on Hotbird at 13E are encrypted with the BIS system which requires a monthly subscription and suitable receiver.

TNTSat on Astra19E is encrypted needs a dedicated receiver and card.

Fransat on 5W is also encrypted needing a dedicated receiver and card.

It seems there are no free to air French satellite channels

I you doubt me I will attach some screen grabs. I am using the tuner that came with the Aldi "satellite in a case" kit (about £60) and nothing else. The dish is pointed to and receiving Hotbird 13. 0 E

I get 20 french free to air TV programs, plus a load of radio programs.

I you doubt me I will attach some screen grabs. I am using the tuner that came with the Aldi "satellite in a case" kit (about £60) and nothing else. The dish is pointed to and receiving Hotbird 13. 0 E

I get 20 french free to air TV programs, plus a load of radio programs.

I don't doubt you are receiving some French TV channels.

This link http://www. lyngsat. com/hotbird. html only shows BIS - which is encrypted - transmitting the main French channels from GHotbird at 13E hence the reason I am puzzled.

I am only interested in the five main French TV channels 1, 2, 3 Arte and M6 . As you are getting 2, 3 and 5 (Arte?) please will you indicate the frequency that you are using.

The French analogue channels on 5W cease transmission on 29th November. The general opinion on TV forums is that all the main French digital satellite programmes are now encrypted.

Its a Silvercrest 65/12 tuner. The dish is about 6 foot off the ground, facing Hotbird 13E

France 5 for example is to quote

LNB freq 9750/10600

Trans Freq 11591

Symbol rate 20000

Screen grab attached, although it was very difficult to get below 70k

Oh, screen grab is not attached, might have not pressed all the right buttons because it was 68K

Ah, forgot to press, "Attach file."

try again

post-13194-0-62664900-1320865410_thumb.jpg