Aerial Tuning - Digital

SamD

Off for long weekend and with darker evenings (and weather forecast) want a bit of telly.

Digital UK shows me best transmitter at bearing 328 with less useful one at bearing 336. That's like as close as from there to there!

I know I can do a full re-tune and hope I get 328 first time but is there a more accurate way of aerial positioning with the 'red blob'?

We use similar to Tony G but only have one input, we Just disconnect the aerial cable from the booster and connect it to the signal finder, its powered by its own battery and is a great addition. On our last trip the signal was quite weak and the picture was breaking a bit. Connected the finder and only one light was illuminated, changed the polarity of the aerial to tilt a little rather than remain flat and the second light came on. Signal was perfect for the rest of the hols!

Ian

Tony & Ian

Thanks I have something similar and should have mentioned it in my post but the blessed thing seems to beep at the same level wherever I point it. Perhaps it needs replacing but it should have plenty of life left in it - it hasn't found many stations. :rolleyes:

Edited by SamD

A signal finder won't really help in this instance especially if the "less useful" (why?) transmitter is closer. You'd need to know what channel numbers are being received to know which transmitter you are looking a if they are almost on the same bearing.

Use a compass to line up the red dot onto the desired transmitter site, do a retune (you have to anyway) and then peak the signal strength/quality indicators on the TV by adjusting the aerial to get the best signal.

Edited by matelodave

Less useful = fewer station groups and only 'brown' (not green) reception (Digital UK ticking the tradesman box)

Less useful is considerably nearer at 6km rather than 40 odd

You'd need to know what channel numbers are being received to know which transmitter you are looking a if they are almost on the same bearing.

So if brown is on 50, 55 & 59 and green is on 39, 40, 42, 43, 45, 46 I just need to watch the re-tune and if 39 etc doesn't come up but 50 does then abort; re-do the blob and re-tune?

If it is a "main" transmitter your aerial needs to be flat

If it is a "repeater" you need to turn it on irs edge.

I kept finding myself on sites where using an aerial

attached (in some way) to the caravan often received

a poor signal because of trees that moved as the wind

got up or other vans (especially motorhomes) returned

after a day out and blocked the signal or caused ghosting.

Satellite dish was my solution

Less useful = fewer station groups and only 'brown' (not green) reception (Digital UK ticking the tradesman box)

Less useful is considerably nearer at 6km rather than 40 odd

So if brown is on 50, 55 & 59 and green is on 39, 40, 42, 43, 45, 46 I just need to watch the re-tune and if 39 etc doesn't come up but 50 does then abort; re-do the blob and re-tune?

Brown is almost certainly a relay transmitter on low power to provide an infill to a poor reception area. There will be only the PSB channels as the channel numbers indicate. You need to look at aerials in and round the site to see which aerial, vertical for relay or horizontal for main, the locals use and try that first as the main transmitter may not be receivable

Edited by beejay

I look for the nearest house & take note of where their aerial is pointing :huh:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 2 months later...

If it is a "main" transmitter your aerial needs to be flat

If it is a "repeater" you need to turn it on irs edge.

Is That Definate?....Great tip!

I use Transmitter locater on my iphone and it shows which are main or repeater

Edited by david23d