French Motorways

Does anyone know of a map/guide which indicates which motorways are paege and which are free?

Planning a trip but the cost of tolls can mount up over a long run.

Michelin used to do a pocket sized atlas of autoroutes but they stopped producing the 914 atlas some years ago. However they have since then improved their yellow road atlas and pay autoroutes have their distances highlighted. The atlas also shows parking aires and service stations as different colours so its easy to decide what sort of stop you want to make. Whilst the French have been increasing the number of toll motorways they have not been slow to improve local roads so its easier to plan non toll routes. I can spend hours with my nose in the Michelin road atlas thinking of where we might go next.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Does anyone know of a map/guide which indicates which motorways are paege and which are free?

on the Michelin map. the toll road mileages are printed in red and free sections in blue.

also a black line across the road shows a peage station

where are you going, some on here will have a toll free route.

we generally find one, inc free section etc.

cheers rodders B)

Hi

I use a BIG Easy Read AA France map. The motorways are colour coded and are easy to tell which are free and not. The 2012 version is not out yet but the 2011 can be had for about £6 on Amazon.

I will be getting my 2012 asap and have pre ordered.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Hi

I use a BIG Easy Read AA France map. The motorways are colour coded and are easy to tell which are free and not. The 2012 version is not out yet but the 2011 can be had for about £6 on Amazon.

I will be getting my 2012 asap and have pre ordered.

Russell

I agree with Russell and use the Big AA French road atlas, as I think that it is a lot clearer to read and tells you everything that you need to know

Hi Rinty,

Yes the cost of tolls can be high on long hauls, but so can diesel and time on other routes. Personally I prefer to get there, yes I know some will say, that you miss so much on the Autoroutes but if you plan your jouney accordingly you can decide to pull off the main roads to see places of interest. Catch ya later,indoors.

I use a combination of http://www. viamichelin. co. uk/ and my Satnav S/W (Mapsource for Garmin) to do my planning.#

I then use the BIG Easy Read AA France map once on the road.

We do use the Toll Roads but not exclusively. .. using the Options at Viamichellin helps you to take informed decision wrt cost versus time on the road!

HTH

G.

Most sat navs have an option to avoid toll roads, it is a long way round though

Not necessarily. Many autoroutes run parallel to the main roads they replaced. In some cases using autoroutes can actually be longer in distance, will be more expensive but always shorter in time than the routes nationales. .

Not necessarily. Many autoroutes run parallel to the main roads they replaced. In some cases using autoroutes can actually be longer in distance, will be more expensive but always shorter in time than the routes nationales. .

I agree, and apart from having to slow down occasionally for villages and roundabouts, when towing they are just as quick as the autoroute.

Try http://www. autoroutes. fr/index. htm?lang=en

Try http://www. autoroutes. fr/index. htm?lang=en plan the route and then modify and click economical under options

Tony

I agree with Russell and use the Big AA French road atlas, as I think that it is a lot clearer to read and tells you everything that you need to know

Moi Aussi

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

If you have only a short holiday and need to ge there and back quick, the Toll motorways are a must.

If you have a little lattitude, the N routes only lose you a day each way (2 days down on mootorways - v - 3 days on N roads).

Also depends how far you need to go and which port you choose.

I do Hull-Zeebrugge then take the Belgian motorways followed by Luxembourg motorways and drop south from Luxembourge through Metz & Nancy. You only start to pay once you get to Nancy. It's about 50 miles further (therefore more fuel used but buy cheap fuel in Luxembourg to counteract the additional distance costs) but it's about 30 Euros each way cheaper!

Tight fisted Tony

I used to do that route many years ago from Holland (Rotterdam). However, it takes you on to the the road from Dijon to the south and as we went in high season, it was not the most pleasant. I have thought about it again as we now do low season, but admit to being lazy and just taking the western route