Alde Heating Fuse

den123

can anyone tell me where the alde heating fuse is located also what size is req thanks

On the top of the boiler is a black cover the fuses are under there.

They are 3. 2amp glass fuses But I have put 5 amp ones in after calling Alde and they confirmed this is OK.

Edited by bridgers2003

Hi - On the valencia the Alde boiler is under the right hand side seat looking forward towards the window.

THere is a Black plastic "Lid" on the top and this pulls off.

There are then two fuses to the right of the boiler - I think in green plastic holders.

You can puoll these out by clasping the fuse and pulling forward towards the front of the caravan.

These fuses are glass 3. 15amp and available at most caravan stores for about a pound for a pack of 3.

I would reccommend you keep some spares!

We have used our caravan about 8 times this year with Powr touch mover - no problem.

Went to Devon last week, used the mover, pitched up . .. happy . .. then 2 days later right in the middle of the week the fuse blew.

I now have 5 spares!

Phil

. .. I have put 5 amp ones in after calling Alde and they confirmed this is OK.

bridgers2003 - could you confirm that Alde have approved the use of a higher fuse rating? Did they offer any explanation?

I wonder if they have discussed this with Bailey - did they say? . .. i would not want to be caught between the two!

I may check with our dealer if you think that Alde and Bailey have agreed a higher fuse rating.

Edited by Phil Hubball

Bailey Unicorn S3 Cartagena, Volvo XC60 D5.

Hi - On the valencia the Alde boiler is under the right hand side seat looking forward towards the window.

THere is a Black plastic "Lid" on the top and this pulls off.

There are then two fuses to the right of the boiler - I think in green plastic holders.

You can puoll these out by clasping the fuse and pulling forward towards the front of the caravan.

These fuses are glass 3. 15amp and available at most caravan stores for about a pound for a pack of 3.

I would reccommend you keep some spares!

We have used our caravan about 8 times this year with Powr touch mover - no problem.

Went to Devon last week, used the mover, pitched up . .. happy . .. then 2 days later right in the middle of the week the fuse blew.

I now have 5 spares!

Phil

bridgers2003 - could you confirm that Alde have approved the use of a higher fuse rating? Did they offer any explanation?

I wonder if they have discussed this with Bailey - did they say? . .. i would not want to be caught between the two!

I may check with our dealer if you think that Alde and Bailey have agreed a higher fuse rating.

Hi I had a problem with the fuse blowing when using my motor mover and contacted Alde about it. Their technical department told me to use a 5amp fuse and see if that solved the problem and said it is fine to use them.

The problem with the motor mover has since been solved,it turned out to be a loose negative / earth wire somwhere and the mover was blowing the fuse on the negative side of the Alde heating.

I have left it with the 5amp fuses in anyway and have not had a problem since.

I am pretty sure wee al will be reading this I hope you get yours sorted soon

Edited by bridgers2003

Hi I had a problem with the fuse blowing when using my motor mover and contacted Alde about it. Their technical department told me to use a 5amp fuse and see if that solved the problem and said it is fine to use them.

Did they say to use slow blow or quick blow fuses??

Dave

I have slow blow fuses

I got them from Maplins the guy there said they still give the same protection but can withstand any surge that can be caused by things like a motor mover that is drawing a high current.

I have had the same problem with a fuse or sometimes both, blowing. I contacted Alde by email who sent the following response:-

Thank you for your enquiry. The standard 3. 15 A F-type glass fuses used

on the 3 kW PCB are used as standard in the system throughout Europe. It

is true that the electrical installation in some Bailey vehicles appears

to cause surges that blow the fuse, although whether this is the

manifestation of a common fault has not, to the best of our knowledge,

been determined.

We recommend _not_ exceeding a 5 A F-type glass fuse. Within this range,

the boiler's electronics will still be protected.

Regards,

Alde UK Team

I bought a pack of 10 x 3. 15 fuse from eBay and have about 4 left.

However, I have had no fuses blow since I have turned the mains switch off at the consumer unit prior to using the motor mover. I have also ensured that the consumer unit is off before plugging in the mains lead, which you should do in any case.

The actual reason for the fuses blowing does need to be found though.

We recommend _not_ exceeding a 5 A F-type glass fuse. Within this range,

the boiler's electronics will still be protected.

Alde UK Team

For those like me who had to look it up, a F-type fuse is a fast blow one.

Dave

• 4 months later...

I am still having problems with the fuse(s) blowing and after contacting my dealer he has spoken to PowrTouch and an engineer will be visiting tomorrow to fit two new index motors i. e. the small motors that drive the mover against the tyres. Apparently these may cause the fuses to blow due to the the reversing of the polarity when retracting the mover from the tyres. There was also mention of the fact that NCC? do not allow the chassis earth to be used as a return - or something to that effect. Apparently Trauma have found a fix for their mover blowing the fuses.

Has any one has had this problem cured? If so how and did you have the motors replaced?

My dealer told me the problem blowing the fuses with the mover is when the feed to mover isn't taken direct from the battery, just spliced in on the main circuit, if you run the cable direct from the battery no problem.

Thanks for this Nidge4.

The power to the control board taken by 2 large cables connected directly on to the battery and not spliced into the existing cables.

The engineer spent some time this morning checking the system and replacing the actuator motors.

We narrowed it down to the negative line fuse only blowing when the actuator motor(s) reverse to withdraw the mover from the wheels.

Replacing the motors did not cure the problem. Back with dealer and PT.

I am also having problems with fuses blowing. I have a Unicorn Madrid purchased in Feb 2011 fitted with a P/T mover. Everything was fine until I had a new actuator fitted to one of the motors following some damage caused by a deep drainage channel. After the new actuator was fitted the fuses on the Alde heating started to blow. This was mentioned when the caravan went in for it's first service. The dealer told me that neither Bailey nor Alde would take any responsibility for the problem and laid the blame with Powr. during the time the van was in for it's service the P/T engineer failed to trace the cause of the problem even after fitting new actuators. I was told by the dealer that the only suggestion they could make was to turn the power off on the control panel when using the mover and as I needed the caravan back for a trip away I decided to do what they suggested. I now find that even turning the power off before I use the mover doesn't make any difference the fuses still blow even though I have upgraded to 5amp slow blow fuses. Now I take the fuse out before I use the mover, not the ideal solution but I don't know what else to do, if I take the van back to the dealer its a round trip of 50 miles and I don't know how long I will be without it. By the way the mover is wired through an isolating switch in the battery box.

Thanks for the post RobinT. You have added a clue in saying that the fuse did not blow until you had a replacement actuator fitted.

I also now take out the fuses prior to using the motor mover and like you, turning the main power off does not make any difference.

May I suggest that you contact PT and report your issue also and the fact that a replacement actuator has initiated the fault. PT are keen to get the issue fixed and I am sure would welcome this info.

My dealer is speaking to PT again on Monday for an update and I'll also update here with any info I get.

Edited by oldtone

• 3 weeks later...