Gas Connections

Guest iancjc

Hi all

at the moment we have a single small (4. 5 kg?) blue calor bottle this attached via screw fitting to van which has a centrally fixed regulator. Once this bottle is empty I was planning to buy a 7kg bottle but I'm sure when I've got these in the past for gas bbqs the regulator clips to the top and they don't have a screw fitting.

Do I basically have to use a regulator on the bottle and bypass the one on the van or can I get a larger bottle with the screw fitting (alternatively I may just go for 2 small bottles and a gaslow guage thingy).

Thanks for helping a confused newcomer!

Ian

Because you have the new fixed regulator, you will have to buy a new "pigtail" with the correct connection for the type of gas bottle you intend to use.

Personally, I would go for 2 smaller bottles than one big bottle, whether this be butane or propane. The reason for this is that when one runs out you always have a spare. You can bet your bottom dollar that it will run out in the middle of cooking a meal when the site shop is closed.

I prefer smaller bottles as this keeps the noseweight down.

A gaslow will only tell you that the gas is getting low, unless you buy a manual or automatic switch. If you do buy one of the switching products you will need 2 "pigtails". This gets expensive for the few ocassions when this happens so I have elected for the cheap option and do it manually.

Roger

Thanks guys

As all I appear to do at the moment is purchase new bits for our new plaything the 2 bottle idea with a manual (me) switch makes sense to me.

I'll swop one of the 15kg butane cylinders that I have for the bbq when its empty for another small one I think.

Ian

Thanks guys

As all I appear to do at the moment is purchase new bits for our new plaything the 2 bottle idea with a manual (me) switch makes sense to me.

I'll swop one of the  15kg butane cylinders that I have for the bbq when its empty  for another small one I think.

Ian

37299[/snapback]

Calor used to sell an adaptor to convert a butane screw fitting to a clip-on type.

Not sure if this would be approved but, if so, this would mean you would not require another pigtail.

Mike