New Towcar, 'e60' 5 Series, Impressed!

ras

Well I do have a bit of an unhealthy habit for changing cars more than is necessary, and seeing as I bought the octavia vrs in advance of taking up caravaning, this purchase took the opportunity to consider tug-like qualities. ..

Ended up with a 535d. I wanted a diesel for the efficiency and torque benefits, and the auto only gearbox also makes sense for towing. So far so good, the outfit ratio has dropped from almost 90% with the skoda to less than 80% with the beemer, and both the performance and economy seem to be better than the skoda - both solo and towing! It's super stable and the performance is just amazing - soooo much torque!

Not sure that the big BM will come out if it starts to snow, but in the mean time I'm really enjoying it! Hopefully might take our first vanning trip to Europe next year, this car should be the perfect weapon!

Great towcar - but put it away for the winter you would be better with a sledge.

Love mine for all the right reasons, but as we live at the top of a cul-de- sac in Derbyshire, it gets covered in snow and stays put until it is all gone.

Great towcar - but put it away for the winter you would be better with a sledge.

Love mine for all the right reasons, but as we live at the top of a cul-de- sac in Derbyshire, it gets covered in snow and stays put until it is all gone.

+1 mine tows with ease. ....but in the snow, not a chance!!!

You've got to be a brave man to take a 5 series out in the snow !! Mine does'nt move off the drive when it's white outside.

Nonsense. I had a 535d and got to work every day in the winter 2 years ago. I had snow chains (which are for sale, incidentally, ras now I have a different car) but I only needed them on a couple of occasions. The car was perfectly usable. I never towed with it, but mine did see 243km/h just outside Frankfurt! Quite possibly the best car in the world. Apart from the seats. I could never get comfortable as they had no lumbar support.

Edited by blueflightmedic

Had a 320d MSport with rear 255/35 tyres. Heard all the usual jokes about BMW's and snow. All I will say is that I live in the middle of the country and I never missed a days work last winter through what was supposed to be the worst snow in 50 (or was it 5000 years). Theres no doubt my wifes VW Polo was better but my cousins Audi A4 S line was no better.

So bad - yes - but no worse than any other car, back or front wheel drive, with wide, low profile tyres.

I used to have an E60 530d Tourer but hated the lag with the auto box, didn't much like the seats either so ended up going back to Audi and now love the A6 3. 0 Quattro.

Incidentally, I have the original rear passenger window sun blinds for the BMW, not much use in the current weather I know but if anyone is interested then please PM.

Never got stuck in my Beemer in last years snow, the year before I spent half of the day digging my Passat out despite the snow being nowhere near as bad.

All this 'front wheels good, rear wheels bad' stuff is rubbish, much of it based upon ignorance.

I didn't expect the BM to be up to much, but it was light years ahead of the Passat (although the previous model Passat is better still) which was as stable as Bambi on cocaine.

Never got stuck in my Beemer in last years snow, the year before I spent half of the day digging my Passat out despite the snow being nowhere near as bad.

All this 'front wheels good, rear wheels bad' stuff is rubbish, much of it based upon ignorance.

I didn't expect the BM to be up to much, but it was light years ahead of the Passat (although the previous model Passat is better still) which was as stable as Bambi on cocaine.

No its not rubbish.

I drove rear wheel drive cars for over 8 years, none of them could get up the hill we lived on, even with a sack of spuds in the boot and a full tank of fuel.

In contrast i never failed with any FWD car, including a Metro which wasn't very good in snow.

Last winter my lad had no end of problems with is compact BMW, as he said it's rubbish in snow.

Edited by xtrailman

No its not rubbish.

I drove rear wheel drive cars for over 8 years, none of them could get up the hill we lived on, even with a sack of spuds in the boot and a full tank of fuel.

In contrast i never failed with any FWD car, including a Metro which wasn't very good in snow.

Last winter my lad had no end of problems with is compact BMW, as he said it's rubbish in snow.

I merely speak as I find, there more than a few BMW owners who don`t have problems in inclement weather. I live on the side of the pennines almost exactly half way up a 1 in 7 hill, and never yet had to abandon the car - even when I`ve been the only one on the estate to have gone out. Oh, and I used it tow an Astra out of a snowdrift after the driver lost traction and slid off the road.

If your lad had problems with the conditions last year maybe it is him that is rubbish, not the car.

Then again, I`ve never needed a 4x4 to tow with either as I have yet to get stuck on a pitch, yet a great many `drivers` insist it is almost essential. Fine if you want it, but I`ve yet to see the need.

Best car I have ever had in the snow was a Triumph Dolomite (RWD),M&S tyres and a couple of sacks of grit in the boot. That DID blitz everything but 4x4`s.

Enjoy the 5 series. we have a 530 d Touring and is effortless with our Coachman behind and fuel economy is very good for a 200+ HP Diesel.

Grandpa Steve now that is proper snow

Enjoy the 5 series. we have a 530 d Touring and is effortless with our Coachman behind and fuel economy is very good for a 200+ HP Diesel.

Grandpa Steve now that is proper snow

Out of interest, as a 530D is on my wish list for when I change, what sort of solo motorway MPG do you get out of the 530D and what sort of speed is it acheived at?

Thanks

Sam

I merely speak as I find, there more than a few BMW owners who don`t have problems in inclement weather. I live on the side of the pennines almost exactly half way up a 1 in 7 hill, and never yet had to abandon the car - even when I`ve been the only one on the estate to have gone out. Oh, and I used it tow an Astra out of a snowdrift after the driver lost traction and slid off the road.

If your lad had problems with the conditions last year maybe it is him that is rubbish, not the car.

Then again, I`ve never needed a 4x4 to tow with either as I have yet to get stuck on a pitch, yet a great many `drivers` insist it is almost essential. Fine if you want it, but I`ve yet to see the need.

Best car I have ever had in the snow was a Triumph Dolomite (RWD),M&S tyres and a couple of sacks of grit in the boot. That DID blitz everything but 4x4`s.

I find your reference to my son offensive.

Are you saying hes rubbish because he didn't throw his baby's pram out of the boot, along with all the other trappings that two children require?

To perhaps put a couple of bags of grit in?

Not very practical i would of thought.

last winter towed several BMs in the snow, both 3 and 5 series stuck on the Argyll hills - then again have got a trooper as plaything!

On the topic of winter driving can I recommend the fitting of winter tyres. It is amazing the difference they make. I had some fitted to my second car, a Citroen Berlingo, last year and it went everywhere without difficulty. Having the tyres on the car inspired confidence and allowed me to drive in the snow without worrying about losing grip

A fair bit of snow driving is down to HOW you drive. I watched a lad trying to get out of a snowy car park by flooring the gas pedal and not moving anywhere.

The BMW issue is down to them being rear wheel drive and so not having weight there. While towing (with a full boot too) they probably have an extra 150kg on the back end so that should help no end.

Snow chains are just cheating!! :)

A fair bit of snow driving is down to HOW you drive. I watched a lad trying to get out of a snowy car park by flooring the gas pedal and not moving anywhere.

The BMW issue is down to them being rear wheel drive and so not having weight there. While towing (with a full boot too) they probably have an extra 150kg on the back end so that should help no end.

Snow chains are just cheating!! :)

The BMW 5 Series Touring has a weight distribution of a 50/50 split so there is none of the issues associated with all the weight is at the front business and none over the drive wheels.

I have no trouble on fresh snow but as soon as it is compacted and starting to either freeze or melt it is a no go

Out of interest, as a 530D is on my wish list for when I change, what sort of solo motorway MPG do you get out of the 530D and what sort of speed is it acheived at?

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam

On the runs from Leicester to Kent to see family does 41 at 80 and average over 10000 mls is 34 including caravan and a fair bit of driving in Leicester house to house. with the van I get 28 mpg.

It is great fun and go for the auto. PM if you want any info on tow bars.

On the topic of winter driving can I recommend the fitting of winter tyres. It is amazing the difference they make. I had some fitted to my second car, a Citroen Berlingo, last year and it went everywhere without difficulty. Having the tyres on the car inspired confidence and allowed me to drive in the snow without worrying about losing grip

We have a Berlingo van at work, even with standard tyres on it was great in the snow we had last december.

Never been stuck in my 535d touring.

Get some cheap snowchains in case and keep them in the boot. I have a set in mine and didn't get stuck In last winters snow even without them even though I live in rural Derbyshire.

The 535d is a really good towcar, stable and fast, though has a habit of going throug rear tyres quickly. I only got 10000 out of the rears on mine and at 400 for a new set I shall be more gentle with my right foot fron

Now on.

I'd actually forgotten about this topic! Well had the car a couple of weeks now and really enjoying the relaxed yet potentially rapid progress, it really is a lovely balanced car to drive. As for the snow factor I'm not too fussed. For the few days a year we might be affected it will be left in the garage. Might get some winters on my wife's (fwd) car but don't often have the need to run both cars at once. Certainly don't intend on venturing out with the can in the white stuff!

Winter tyres for Mrs H as well. It's not the fresh snow that's the problem, it's the uncleared, icy, rutted roads that appear after the first snowfall that defeat lightweight small cars with fat summer tyres.