Battery Flat

pastiche19

The battery in our Pegasus 462 is on EHP at home most of the time ie sometimes couple of weeks not on charge. Today about to hook up to take it for its first service to find Tracker not working. Tried 240v and all working even the amp on control board saying 14v. Apparently this means the charger is ok so must be battery at this stage. Service people putting it on charge tonight and see tomorrow. Its 11 months 3 weeks since new.

Batteries do die for no apparent reason, letting them go flat (by inadvertantly not turning stuff off) will kill them off completely. If you are lucky and still got the receipt you might get some money back. It's worth checking that you haven't left the fridge turned on (turn it off on it's control panel as the interior light can stay on if you leave the door ajar). Turn off the 12v master swich to isolate the aerial amplifier and the radio (they both consume power) and it's everso easy to leave the Truma heater fan turned on (its very quiet and easy to forget)

Service people put it on charge whilst mine was being serviced and put their own one in as temporary measure, they found that their one also not showing power. Result was the fuse for the battery had blown. Put my one back in and betime we arrived home it was ok, so tomorrow will try and test it tosee how it is.

You can use the meter inside the caravan to check your battery volts, do this with the mains off.

Then apply the mains to see the charging volts on the meter.

I always look for 12. 6 volts approx for a charged battery, off charge.

On charge around 13. 7 volts.

Edited by xtrailman

You can use the meter inside the caravan to check your battery volts, do this with the mains off.

Then apply the mains to see the charging volts on the meter.

I always look for 12. 6 volts approx for a charged battery, off charge.

On charge around 13. 7 volts.

Thats what I normally look at but the van meter only comes on when you switch it on so this read 13. 8v which the battery only was 9. 5v.

The charger must be off to read the true volts at the battery. If it is on you see the charging voltage.

The best way to check a battery voltage is with a multimeter. This should be with the battery at rest.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The fitted meters are very approximate devices. They are not useful except to confirm that the battery has some charge. Get a digital meter if you want a more accurate reading.