Vauxhall Antara Any Good ?

Malc Edge

Thinking of changing from my discovery td5 to a vauxhall 2. 2 diesel Antara,anybody got one of these vehicles ? do they tow ok?. I know it's not a replacement for a disco but want to travel on the continent and the disc is ten years old and I need to have a reliable vehicle for a long European Stay. Cheers Malc

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malc,

I went from a 52 reg TD5 auto Disco to an 09 reg Antara auto.

In all honesty i prefer the Antara.

Ok it can't tow as much, but with 1700kg (auto) and 2000kg (man) it just about covers what you will need.

It feels more sure footed, not being so high up, but it is still a higher seating position than a "normal" car. It isn't effected as much by the high sided vans that wizz past !!!!

Obviously mine is a 2 litre, but i have said from the off set that a 2. 2 would make this a very good tow car.

Here is an extract from a post i made a while back.

Obviously the NM and BHP figures are higher now but the towing and nose weight figures stay the same.

I think the 100,000 mile warranty is a long time coming too.

I certainly will be looking to replace mine with the new version, when the time comes.

Just out of interest, what i would call the comparable Sorento (KX2) to mine is +£30k !!! :blink:

in towing terms i feel the following tick the boxes

320 nm @ 2000rpm

150 bhp

1967 kg in mass kerb weight

1700 kg max tow for auto (2000 kg manual) 1700 being 87%, guess this covers about 95% of mainstream caravans.

80 kg nose weight

self leveling rear suspension

inteligent 4wd

hill decent

short rear overhang

big flat top mirrors, ideal for fitting the towing ones to and added rear view

selection of fixed, swan or detach towbars (all without bumper cut or effecting the rear parking sensors)

i find it a very capable tow car, stable and sure footed, in fact i like it more than my previous car (disco td5 auto) for towing, it just feels "better".

i like the manual selection on the auto which i use when towing, the cabin fit and general up market feel.

i would like the nose weigh to be more say 100kg, and i do think it would certainly benefit from a 2. 2l engine. if i was being picky i would also like the steering to be a little heavier too.

i would not rule out this vehicle in its present, form or new version.

Mat

My dad has one. Tows a 2011 Eccles Quartz no problem. Only gets about 33mpg solo (short trips) and 28 towing, his is the manual. Had a few problems with the alarm going off but now sorted.

Aug 2007 2. 0 CDTI S model covered 35,000 without a mechanical hiccup at all (not meaning to tempt fate).

Another Antara topic here http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/50389-new-22-antara/

and here - I found this one by doing a search for the Chevrolet Captiva - I know they are the same basic vehicle but what are the real differences?

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/42717-new-vauxhall-antara/page__hl__captiva__fromsearch__1

Mike

Its worth considering the Mitsibishi Outlander which comes as the Peugeot 4007 and Citroen C Crosser as they are much the same but have a higher towing limit for a Automatic (2000 kg).

http://www. mitsubishi-cars. co. uk/outlander/

Dave

We went to look at one over the weekend as we want something more economical to fuel and service than our Discovery 3 diesel.

It would be a second vehicle so the lifetime/100,000 mile warranty was also a big attraction.

We've already swapped our big twin axle Ace for a lighter single axle Bailey Ancona which we collect this weekend.

Have to say we were all disappointed with the Antara. It is great value for money, but too many drawbacks for us.

The rear legroom was limited for my 10 year year old daughter with the drivers seat in a comfortable position for me. When the kids are a few years older the legroom issue would only get worse.

The boot space is not great for an SUV and the rear wheel arches were quite intrusive.

Engine noise was high and the seats were like bricks.

I realise it will never have the capability, strength or space of the Disco, but I had hoped for more.

After that we went to look at the Hyundai Santa Fe & Kia Sorento (As far as I can establish virtually the same vehicle under the skin). Far more rear passenger space, bigger load area and on paper a marginally better combined fuel economy figure for the auto than the Antara.

Whatever preconceived ideas I had of Hyundai & Kia went out of the window after a test drive. Seemed really well screwed together and good specification levels for the price.

So impressed, the Disco is going on eBay this weekend :)

Vauxhall have a reputation for fitting what seems to be wooden church pews as seats in their cars which is why we have always given Vauxhalls a miss. However we found the new Astra and Insignia to have much better seats. So maybe they have transferred those church pews to the Antara. We also took a Chev Orlando 2. 0l diesel auto for a test drive and was very impressed.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

We went to look at one over the weekend as we want something more economical to fuel and service than our Discovery 3 diesel.

It would be a second vehicle so the lifetime/100,000 mile warranty was also a big attraction.

We've already swapped our big twin axle Ace for a lighter single axle Bailey Ancona which we collect this weekend.

Have to say we were all disappointed with the Antara. It is great value for money, but too many drawbacks for us.

The rear legroom was limited for my 10 year year old daughter with the drivers seat in a comfortable position for me. When the kids are a few years older the legroom issue would only get worse.

The boot space is not great for an SUV and the rear wheel arches were quite intrusive.

Engine noise was high and the seats were like bricks.

I realise it will never have the capability, strength or space of the Disco, but I had hoped for more.

After that we went to look at the Hyundai Santa Fe & Kia Sorento (As far as I can establish virtually the same vehicle under the skin). Far more rear passenger space, bigger load area and on paper a marginally better combined fuel economy figure for the auto than the Antara.

Whatever preconceived ideas I had of Hyundai & Kia went out of the window after a test drive. Seemed really well screwed together and good specification levels for the price.

So impressed, the Disco is going on eBay this weekend :)

There is a new Santa Fe out next year, source what car.

So good deals may be available.

The Antara only gets 3 stars by whatcar for driving so i can't see it being brilliant.

And comparing it to a much larger car such as a Santa Fe is a little unfair?

Have you driven the BMW X3, now best in group solo, but todate i haven't seen a tow test?

Edited by xtrailman

I was keen on the Antara 2. 2 diesel test drove one on two occasions for in excess of 3 hours and was very dissapointed in the vehicle.

I found the engine flat at low revs and the 6th gear not particulary good, also very notchy gear box.

I don't think it would make a very good towcar I currently run a Hyundai Tucson 08 diesel and find the vehicle to have far more power and flexibility than the 2. 2 Antara.

Other drawbacks the Antara does not have any spare wheel and no engine temperature gauge which I find essential when towing in Europe, although I did find the interior cabin pleasent enough and a good sized luggage area.

Pity really as there are some good offers at the moment and I have an excellent local dealer, although the salesman I spoke to said that you cannot order a new model. It Would appear they are possibly going out of production as Vauxhall are planning to launch a small suv to compete with the Nissan Juke.

After driving the Antara I drove a Ford Kuga which I found superb compared to the Antara, as quoted in the motoring press not Vauxhalls finest hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to every one for their input. After much deliberation and research I have decided to keep the discovery and buy an Astra,it's the 5 years nought % and the 100,000 mile warrenty that decided it. I will use the TD5 for towing only,the disco has only just clocked 73,000 and has not given me much trouble,still leaks water into passenger footwell but I will fix that eventually. We did France this year and the td 5 pulled van very well and also loaded up with wine on return journey. 8342mat seems the only one to give the Antara a good report and this was especially hard for me as he went from a td5 to an Antara. I think I will wait another three or four years before changing TD5 and them maybe an Antara ???? If you are going to keep a vehicle a long time as we do you must admit the 100,000 mile warranty and 5 years nought % finance the vauxhall offer is very tempting. Next year we will be in France and into Spain for 6/7 weeks. Hope I still love the disco after that !!!

Don't Honda cover for 100K?

And Toyota now do 5 years.

I've had a Astra and Cavalier, both were ok, reliable, but back then the paint finish wasn't great.

Or what about a Kuga, not sure what there warranty is?

Thanks to every one for their input. After much deliberation and research I have decided to keep the discovery and buy an Astra,it's the 5 years nought % and the 100,000 mile warrenty that decided it. I will use the TD5 for towing only,the disco has only just clocked 73,000 and has not given me much trouble,still leaks water into passenger footwell but I will fix that eventually. We did France this year and the td 5 pulled van very well and also loaded up with wine on return journey. 8342mat seems the only one to give the Antara a good report and this was especially hard for me as he went from a td5 to an Antara. I think I will wait another three or four years before changing TD5 and them maybe an Antara ???? If you are going to keep a vehicle a long time as we do you must admit the 100,000 mile warranty and 5 years nought % finance the vauxhall offer is very tempting. Next year we will be in France and into Spain for 6/7 weeks. Hope I still love the disco after that !!!

We did similar and got a Ford Fiesta for running around in. Does on average 56mpg where as the 4 x 4 does about 27mpg as we live in a rural community and 50mph on country lanes is not an option unless you are suicidal.

Lunar Delta TI

,still leaks water into passenger footwell but I will fix that

Common problem.

Easily fixed.

Your air con drains have become blocked.

Get underneath amd locate the gearbox and bell housing.

Put your arm up toward the floor and you will locate a rubber nipple (one each side)

They have a split in the end like an icing bag nozzle.

Give them a good wiggle and if you have a large paper clip stick that inside and wiggle it around.

Just watch for the water running down your arm !!!!!

Got about a egg cup out of mine.

Mat

• 7 months later...

Having taken a 2012 demo automatic for a test drive I was really impressed. We just have two concerns, nose weight at 80kgs seems light as presently nose weight on caravan is 95kgs. The other is the auto gearbox seems very sluggish, i. e. drop your speed down to about 10mph and then accelerate and there is a time lag before it reacts and picks up.

This could be a bit worrying at Give Way signs and when approaching round abouts and the car does not react for a second or two when accelerating. The vehicle we tested only had a few thousand on the clock.

Lunar Delta TI

Some manufacturers put a lag in to reduce the power surge to help protect the DMF and transmission .

I have had this on a few new cars I have towed with.

Dave

As per my previous comments on the Antara in this post I had two test drives of 2011 manual Antara 2. 2 and I found it very flat in low revs and notchy gear shift, as did reports in motoring press.

I went on to buy a Hyundai IX35 4x4 8 Months ago, which I found a far better vehicle to drive plus transferable 5 year warranty, just done 6 week trip in France and impressed with the towing capability and fuel consumption.

The Antara worried me regarding its low revs pulling power, no spare wheel and no temperature gauge also couldn't find anybody who could give me a true life MPG only Vauxhall figures.

Edited by deeps

Hi

bought Antara exclusiv awd end of January, ( new only 6 miles on clock ))used both as solo and towcar. replaced a 2009 4007 sw diesel and a 1998 trooper! Not blinkered though over choice of vehicle - is still relatively rare, dare I say exclusive, up here we see more DB7, Ferrari, Porsche etc than Antara.

Solo 32 to 40 mpg, still needs to loosen, towing 22-28mpg peugeot 25-28 towing so comparable in that measure. I don't find any lack of power at low revs, maybe how I drive it tho! Rev it well.

Yes gearbox is slightly notchy but you quickly adapt to that. Handles well for type of vehicle(better than Peugeot if sporting style of driving!) tows very well ( bailey ranger GT 60 520/4) - light for this type of vehicle, although slightly disappointed with fit and finish inside car - takes a while to iron out all the rattles.

In summary you get what you pay for - I got substantial discount from list price, although no Discovery/Freelander/Kia but a d*****d slight cheaper it suits me - best point I can give is haggle with your dealer. Roll on the winter to try the 4wd system.

Ali

Guest marksimonpowell

Thinking of changing from my discovery td5 to a vauxhall 2. 2 diesel Antara,anybody got one of these vehicles ? do they tow ok?. I know it's not a replacement for a disco but want to travel on the continent and the disc is ten years old and I need to have a reliable vehicle for a long European Stay. Cheers Malc

keep the disco ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered my second new antara today (i have also done the LR thing).

2. 2 auto exclusive AWD in black

Fixed swan neck towball and 13 pin electrics fitted before delivery at £332. 50

Like the others i took advantage of the finance offers and partners discount.

Got a bit more as a returning customer too !

Hope it is as good, if not better than the one i have had since new, for the past 3 years.

They also agreed to exchange the puncture kit for a full sized spare.

Just got to wait until October.

Mat

Ordered my second new antara today (i have also done the LR thing).

2. 2 auto exclusive AWD in black

Fixed swan neck towball and 13 pin electrics fitted before delivery at £332. 50

Like the others i took advantage of the finance offers and partners discount.

Got a bit more as a returning customer too !

Hope it is as good, if not better than the one i have had since new, for the past 3 years.

They also agreed to exchange the puncture kit for a full sized spare.

Just got to wait until October.

Mat

Nice car. Pity the maximum towing weight is only 1700kgs for the auto otherwise we would have also ordered one! I think this is lower than the actual MIRO of the vehicle.

Lunar Delta TI

Mat

re the full size spare, does it fit completely below the floor and what storage space does it leave? - I have just bought another alloy to use as spare but not delivered yet!

thanks

Ali

Mat

re the full size spare, does it fit completely below the floor and what storage space does it leave? - I have just bought another alloy to use as spare but not delivered yet!

thanks

Ali

There is no spare!

Lunar Delta TI

There is no spare!

You are quite correct there is no spare, only an inflation kit.

Ali and myself have full size alloys which will fit in the spare wheel space once the loose fitting foam, which the inflation kit sits in, is removed that occupies the full spare wheel space. This also leaves foam packing and additional storage around the spare.

The hinged boot floor will shut flat again but the loose foam packing cannot be used.

I did this with my existing Antara.

Mat