Resurrected My Whale Smartflo Pump

Hi

I thought I'd recount my experiences with the above pump as it might save someone else £100+.

Last weekend we travelled down to Leo Farm CL near Ironbridge, Shropshire for a week's break. After setting up Cary pointed out that the water pump was not running. The 'van is fitted with an inboard Whale UPO814 Smartflo pump which usually makes itself known by its loud running noise!!!.

I checked the fuse on the fuseboard and that was okay. I then checked the spade wiring connections near the pump itself. The connnections were fine and they were "live". A bit non-plussed I gave mobile service engineer John Mackay of Caravancare (Warrington) a ring. John services our 'van and is VERY helpful chap. Although it was by then after7. 00pm on a Saturday evening John phoned me back and suggested that I could dismantle the diaphram end of the pump and check for damage. He said to get back to him if that was unsuccessful.

I took out the pump and checked that end of the pump. I was reasonably confident about doing this as I had removed and dismantled that part of the pump earlier in the year when we had had problems with very limited water flow (that was caused by a plug of dog hair (?) in the pump's inline filter. I could find no problem with the pump so I rang John back. He very kindly offered to find a local mobile caravan engineer. John was true to his word and a little while later Roger of Forest Caravans, near Bridgnorth, about 20 miles away, contacted me to say that he would check with his local dealer at Stourport the next day to see if he had one in stock.

For that night and the next morning we had to take our water directly from the aquaroll using a saucepan. Annoyingly I had only this summer, when lightening the 'van, removed an aquaroll tap which I had carried around for over 10+ years, since our tenting days, On the Sunday morning Roger phoned me back to advise me that he had sourced a replacement pump at £115 and could come out and fit it for an additional £45 call-out charge. He did say that the pump was available for less on the internet but that would obviously take longer to source.

Loath to spend £160 if I could avoid it we went out to a local McDonalds so that I could use their wifi connection to do some research of my own. I was hoping that there might be a local caravan breakers with a second hand one. I was unsuccessful on the breaker option but did find a caravan dealer 13 miles away with a pump in stock at £106. The latter option was a strong contender but as I had ascertained that the latest replacement model pump (UVO814) was now fitted vertically, rather than horizontally, I waited until Monday morning when I checked with Whale pumps regarding the ease of fitting the new model. The chap I spoke to at Whale was very helpful and so I was reasonably confident at getting the new pump and fitting it myself.

However before doing this I had another think and having remembered that there was no SOUND from the pump I decided to check the electric motor end of the pump. This involved removing 2 long bolts and removing the metal, cylindrical, cover. I gave the motor shaft a few turns and then reconnected the pump. The pump then ran normally and has continued to do so for the rest of the week without further problem.

I am VERY PLEASED at having avoided the EXPENSE and time involved in having to travel, buy and fit the new pump. I did phone John and Roger back and thank them for their help.

I hope my experiences may help someone else with similar problems.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info. .

Well worth remembering. Its tips like this that can save save save,

Regards

Pete

Even if you dismantle the diaphragm end of the pump and find damage there is nothing you can do about it.

Whale don't supply overhaul kits. You have to buy a new head at a cost of £40.

The internals are plastic valves and a diaphragm so could be replaced at a cost of no more than £20 if they were available

poolebob

Thanks for the tip. Two things that give me some concern when we are away in Europe for 10-12 weeks each year are-

1. What will I do if I get the dreaded Gas Reg blockage?

2. What will I do if I get a problem with the Water pump?

I have decided that seeing I intend keeping this caravan until the wheels fall off ;) I will over the winter invest in the purchase of a "Clesse" Regulator approx £30 and a Whale Smartflo UV0814 water pump (£80 on internet) as "Spares". I already carry the Whale water connection from van to Aquaroll (in case it got nicked one dark night!)

For the sake of approx £110 outlay it would save the worry of trying to find these items on the Continent when you do not speak the lingo and it is for a UK built caravan.

As a temp measure to get around any blockage of the Truma regulator I carry a spare set up to feed gas via the external BBQ point. Yes I know it is not recommended before the "elf & safety" bods jump up and down - but I have tested it out fully and it works fine until I can sort out the regulator. B)

Edited by Alan J

Thanks for the tip. Two things that give me some concern when we are away in Europe for 10-12 weeks each year are-

1. What will I do if I get the dreaded Gas Reg blockage?

2. What will I do if I get a problem with the Water pump?

I have decided that seeing I intend keeping this caravan until the wheels fall off ;) I will over the winter invest in the purchase of a "Clesse" Regulator approx £30 and a Whale Smartflo UV0814 water pump (£80 on internet) as "Spares". I already carry the Whale water connection from van to Aquaroll (in case it got nicked one dark night!)

For the sake of approx £110 outlay it would save the worry of trying to find these items on the Continent when you do not speak the lingo and it is for a UK built caravan.

As a temp measure to get around any blockage of the Truma regulator I carry a spare set up to feed gas via the external BBQ point. Yes I know it is not recommended before the "elf & safety" bods jump up and down - but I have tested it out fully and it works fine until I can sort out the regulator. B)

If you have an onboard tank, I also suggest that youalso carry the Whale changeover valve, We had one break up internally resulting in no water. The van was only a few days old and the Explorer Group sent a replacement to us in the South of France

Hi

I thought I'd recount my experiences with the above pump as it might save someone else £100+.

Last weekend we travelled down to Leo Farm CL near Ironbridge, Shropshire for a week's break. After setting up Cary pointed out that the water pump was not running. The 'van is fitted with an inboard Whale UPO814 Smartflo pump which usually makes itself known by its loud running noise!!!.

I checked the fuse on the fuseboard and that was okay. I then checked the spade wiring connections near the pump itself. The connnections were fine and they were "live". A bit non-plussed I gave mobile service engineer John Mackay of Caravancare (Warrington) a ring. John services our 'van and is VERY helpful chap. Although it was by then after7. 00pm on a Saturday evening John phoned me back and suggested that I could dismantle the diaphram end of the pump and check for damage. He said to get back to him if that was unsuccessful.

I took out the pump and checked that end of the pump. I was reasonably confident about doing this as I had removed and dismantled that part of the pump earlier in the year when we had had problems with very limited water flow (that was caused by a plug of dog hair (?) in the pump's inline filter. I could find no problem with the pump so I rang John back. He very kindly offered to find a local mobile caravan engineer. John was true to his word and a little while later Roger of Forest Caravans, near Bridgnorth, about 20 miles away, contacted me to say that he would check with his local dealer at Stourport the next day to see if he had one in stock.

For that night and the next morning we had to take our water directly from the aquaroll using a saucepan. Annoyingly I had only this summer, when lightening the 'van, removed an aquaroll tap which I had carried around for over 10+ years, since our tenting days, On the Sunday morning Roger phoned me back to advise me that he had sourced a replacement pump at £115 and could come out and fit it for an additional £45 call-out charge. He did say that the pump was available for less on the internet but that would obviously take longer to source.

Loath to spend £160 if I could avoid it we went out to a local McDonalds so that I could use their wifi connection to do some research of my own. I was hoping that there might be a local caravan breakers with a second hand one. I was unsuccessful on the breaker option but did find a caravan dealer 13 miles away with a pump in stock at £106. The latter option was a strong contender but as I had ascertained that the latest replacement model pump (UVO814) was now fitted vertically, rather than horizontally, I waited until Monday morning when I checked with Whale pumps regarding the ease of fitting the new model. The chap I spoke to at Whale was very helpful and so I was reasonably confident at getting the new pump and fitting it myself.

However before doing this I had another think and having remembered that there was no SOUND from the pump I decided to check the electric motor end of the pump. This involved removing 2 long bolts and removing the metal, cylindrical, cover. I gave the motor shaft a few turns and then reconnected the pump. The pump then ran normally and has continued to do so for the rest of the week without further problem.

I am VERY PLEASED at having avoided the EXPENSE and time involved in having to travel, buy and fit the new pump. I did phone John and Roger back and thank them for their help.

I hope my experiences may help someone else with similar problems.

Tim

Sounds like a com problem, or a brush not making a good connection.

If it happens again try the "technical tap method", i often employed the method when all else failed, and it was near shift end.

Sounds like a com problem, or a brush not making a good connection.

If it happens again try the "technical tap method", i often employed the method when all else failed, and it was near shift end.

I did apply several "technical taps" of increasing force to no avail. I'm just glad to get it going again rather than having to replace it.

Tim

I had a small motor fail some months ago and was informed by the manufacturer that no spares were available. A pair of carbons for a Hoover cleaner were a close match and a bit of fine sandpaper took the extra off.

I never automatically write-off a bit of kit without trying to fix it first!

Well Emergency spares now complete. The 30Mb Clesse regulator arrived last night and the new Whale water pump arrived this morning. I already have CTEK 5amp smart charger as fallback for PSU charger failure as well as my EFOY fuel cell of course. Also carry spare plugs & sockets for 12N&S.

You would be surprised how many fellow caravanners I have helped out over the years - most useful bit of kit is a simple Multi-Meter :)

Well Emergency spares now complete. The 30Mb Clesse regulator arrived last night and the new Whale water pump arrived this morning. I already have CTEK 5amp smart charger as fallback for PSU charger failure as well as my EFOY fuel cell of course. Also carry spare plugs & sockets for 12N&S.

You would be surprised how many fellow caravanners I have helped out over the years - most useful bit of kit is a simple Multi-Meter :)

Hi Alan

Just out of interest is your 'van's current Whale pump the UV0814 (vertical) model too or is it the older UP0814 (horizontal) model. I ask because I was wondering if they are a direct swap or additional pipework is necessary if it is necessary to swap.

I must admit I'm hoping that Red Pennant will come to our aid by helping us locate or sending out a spare pump, regulator, etc if they fail when we are on the Continent.

Tim

Hi Tim

My S6 Pageant has the UV0814 vertical and the spare is the same. Where mine is fitted under the bed it would be quite easy to re-route the flexible pipework if it had been necessary. I had already relocated the pump and put it on better soundproofing rubber pads as the original Bailey siting was stupid with no thought given to its position.

Bought mine from here at £78 plus postage - best price around. You will pay much more if Red Pennant have to source one for you and all the disruption to your hols - is it worth it when you know it is playing up?

http://www. horizonleisure. co. uk

Edited by Alan J