Anything Else I Can Do/your Recommend.. (Winter Prep)

jamesnshell

Hi, me and the wife have had the day spare today so thought we would give the van a once over ready for the winter season (still not ready to be winter caravanners yet!!)

I have read up alot of things to do on this site which has been great, so in no particular order i have done the following to get our van ready for winter:

1. Removed wheels, put van on axle stands (wheels stored undercover in garage)
  2. Axle ends/ drums covered with bin liners and carrier bags
  3. leisure battery removed
  4. All steadies have been greased and are down
  5. Electric plugs stowed away undercover as is all the 'a' fame
  6. Window seals have been lightly smeared with olive oil
  7. All windows and vents shut
  8. water system drained (as leaving last site), taps left open
  9. water filter removed, hole filled with kitchen roll as is water inlet.
  10. waste caps shut
  11. plugs fitted in sink etc
  12. all cushions stood in middle of floor, internal door, fridge and cupboards left open
  13. 4 bowls on salt left in van
  14. van interior completely cleaned (hoovered, polished etc) nothing in van at all
  15. toilet left half open with light smear of olive oil in seal
  16. van washed, dryed and treated to full polish with silky
  17. 'special accesories' caravan full cover fitted
  18. shower head removed

is there anything else i need to be doing to my van or have i covered most things.

Caravn cover does have door access so door will be left open when weather allows

thanks

James

sweet lord you put me to shame!! Where is the caravan stored? Is it worth putting down some sort of traps (humane or other) just incase little mice friends try to get in? (last year they just set up home but this year decided that our upholstery would be good as a take away bed cenre)

kgreen- the van is stored on our drive way. I read on anohter forum about sprinly ant powder around the steadies but im certainly more bothered abour mice!! some traps sound a good idea . .. where abouts would you place them? Also, how do they get in?

Rita - would the vent hoes in the floor not be sufficient for this or do i need more than that. .. door will be opened maybe twice a week if weather allows

the van is on our drive so will be in 2/3 times a week to make sure ventialtion is good.

would love to try winter vanning but we have a 3yr old and 19 month old who love there tractors etc. .. so awning space is vital for us at present. .. may try and get grandma to have the kids for the weekend tho so me and the wife can venture off :)

Hi James

Pretty comprehensive list !

The only other thing I have done is remove the jockey wheel, dismantled it and greased it and stored it in the garage.

Terry

I put them in the bottom of the wardrobe and under the front and rear seats. They can get in anywhere that is the size of a pencil I am told so most places!

Hi James

Pretty comprehensive list !

The only other thing I have done is remove the jockey wheel, dismantled it and greased it and stored it in the garage.

Terry

Hi Terry,

yeah the list is quite comprehensive when i read it back lol. . took me and the missus all day to do.

my van still has its jocksy wheel fitted but it has had a grease etc

will the van be ok stood on axle stands and its steadies all winter? if so i will remove it as it also removes another 'ladder' for our fury little friends

I put them in the bottom of the wardrobe and under the front and rear seats. They can get in anywhere that is the size of a pencil I am told so most places!

think i will invest in a few traps to be honest, im also going to seal all possible entries with some sort of sealant.

Hi James

It should be fine on axle stands and steadies for the winter.

I have used winter wheels for years and had no problems though apparently the best option is to use

axle stands to take the caravan weight off the suspension.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I was watching some winter wheels on ebay but lost out on them (well forgot to bid actually lol), thats the only reason my van is on axle stands.

I does make sense giving the suspension a rest but either way they are equally as good

Prepare ours for the winter by using it.

One thing have you emptied the toilet flush tank and run pump until dry.

would use ours through winter also but have 2 small children so not really a good idea

how do i run the pump dry? (submersible) i took it out the aqua roll then drained the system (taps open etc)

toilet flush? water comes from aquaroll. . press blue button on thetford toilet. how do i drain?

Hello Terry I always slip a sellotaped box 12 x 12 x 8 inches on its side in the middle of the roof, under the cover drains of water really well,done it for years with no problems.

i dont use salt its to strong natural wood needs moister get the two chepos from pound land the salt can warp your doors etc . salt pots are used in statics but diffrent build.

so many different opinions!! its mind boggling!

will stick with what i have done to be fair, although im changing sdalt for cheap moisture traps. .

I have never wasted my time with salts or moisture traps.

I even have a couple of dehumidifiers i use in the house, but never in the caravan.

You don't need them.

Whats important is to store the caravan dry inside, then let nature take it's course, humidity with raise and lower, according to the outside atmosphere.

why put olive oil on the window seals and toilet seal?

Window seals have been lightly smeared with olive oil

toilet left half open with light smear of olive oil in seal????????????

GT

If it's going to be sitting on your drive give it a spray of fenwicks overwintering solution, it makes giving it it's first wash in the Spring so much easier.

I have never treated my caravans with anything more than a car wash and wax shampoo.

Nor have i every use a cover.

And i keep my vans for 7 years, still looks good when i come to sell.

The only thing i treat are the out side locks with silicon, and the alloy wheels with alloy wheel treatment, thats once a year when i take them off.

I did have the toilet flap stick once so always store that open, i'll put some "oil" on when i think on.

Archived