Parking Caravan On Road Side ?

paul777

hello what is the law on leaving your caravan outside your house

on the road

we don`t live on a main road we have no houses Opposite us

as we live in a cul-de-sac

And not obstructing anyone no one has every complained

But a few weeks ago a council worker passed my house and said it was a obstruction

I said how and why ! when lorrys can Easily pass

i also told to him why don`t you go and tell all the people living in our

cul-de-suc that it is against the law to park cars on the pavement

well he just walk off!

Dustbin lorrys have no trouble passing

So wright or wrong ?

Thanks paul

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was once told, by police, that both cars and caravans can be classed as obstructions when parked on public highway. But they said they don't police this because of the amount of cars that have to park by the side of road.

They also said that if someone complains, perhaps a neighbor, then they would ask for a caravan to be moved.

I think that I'm correct in saying that a caravan or trailer must be attached to the towing vehicle if left on a council maintained road, i. e. not private. We have had several cases in our area where the owners of caravans left on roads without being attached to a towing vehicle have been prosecuted.

Yossa

Yossa isn't totally correct. There's no requirement to have a caravan attached to the tow car when on the public highway.

A caravan can be parked on the highway BUT it MUST have lights at night, even if within a street lit built up area where cars don't need lights.

Any vehicle parked on the highway is causing an obstruction unless it's in a designated parking place. It only needs a police officer to consider it an obstruction and you're nicked.

In reality it's probably not a good idea to park on the highway for more than a day, even if it's legal.

It would worry me leaving my pride and joy on the street for any length of time, I'd be worried one of the neighbours would take a dislike to it being there and give it a swift kick.

I really don't think its on, parking a caravan on the road anyway, with parking at a premium at the best of times, and the fact it doesn't have any sort of road tax leaves the legalities of it being there wide open.

A caravan can be parked on the highway BUT it MUST have lights at night, even if within a street lit built up area where cars don't need lights.

37306[/snapback]

What's the best way of lighting a caravan's lights when uncoupled on a road?

I guess you could make a 12v accessory to feed the correct pins of the 12S cable.

You may then need to leave it powered via the mains - and then a pedestrian could trip on the mains cable!

Another way could be to put a flashing yellow light on it like a skip!

Has anyone actually bothered to light their 'van when leaving it at night?

Yours

Dave

37306[/snapback]

Why does the caravan need lights when stationary in an area that a car doesn't? That seems to be an odd ruling, especially as caravans have to have reflectors front, rear, & side, are a light colour and pretty hard to miss.

I know if it was parked in a 40+mph zone then it would need lights, but as cars don't need lights at night when parked in a 30mph zone, why does a van?

Or is it some sort of archaic ruling predating the increasing use of electric systems in vans that assumes there wouldn't be a way around it?

Originally all vehicles had to have lights when parked at night.

A concession was introduced some years ago that parking lights aren't required on private cars IF street lights are on all night, in a 30 mph built-up area and vehicle is parked more than 15 yds from a junction.

Apart from this concession, all vehicles have to have lights when parked at night on the public highway.

Even skips left on the highway have to be lit at night! (although many aren't)

Thanks all

but still confused as my insurance have asked where the caravan is stored

they said it was ok !!!!!!

but a few insures wouldn’t insure us only in a secure lock up

and yet I have read in these forums that caravan after caravan stolen from these so called secure lock ups even some caravan club sites

thank you all paul

Originally all vehicles had to have lights when parked at night.

A concession was introduced some years ago that parking lights aren't required on private cars IF street lights are on all night, in a 30 mph built-up area and vehicle is parked more than 15 yds from a junction.

Apart from this concession, all vehicles have to have lights when parked at night on the public highway.

Even skips left on the highway have to be lit at night! (although many aren't)

37431[/snapback]

Skips yes, no reflectors, but a caravan would have reflectors, so surely no different to a car.

I'm aware that the 30mph bit has to have streetlightds etc, but in reality is it ever enforced?

Roger has made the legal position quite clear and he is absolutely right in what he says so I don't understand why people are still questioning it.

It doesn't matter if you agree with a particular law or not, you still have to comply. Those that don't simply give all caravanners a bad reputation.

Skips yes, no reflectors, but a caravan would have reflectors, so surely no different to a car.

I'm aware that the 30mph bit has to have streetlightds etc, but in reality is it ever enforced?

37541[/snapback]

Yes it is enforced an acquaintance was fined for leaving his truck unlit in a 30 mph zone - the concession (as Roger says) is for cars only.

Roger has made the legal position quite clear and he is absolutely right in what he says so I don't understand why people are still questioning it.

It doesn't matter if you agree with a particular law or not, you still have to comply. Those that don't simply give all caravanners a bad reputation.

37584[/snapback]

Parking on the road is irrelevant to me, I don't need to. What I can't follow is that cars seem exempt to the law as laid down in the highway code, yet from Ted's post a truck isn't, caravans are not, yet both have reflectors.

My comment is more the absurdity of a ruling exempting one class of vehicle, and I would like to try and find out the thinking behind it. Perhaps the sheer numbers of cars means that to enforce it for cars would not be possible??

Parking on the road is irrelevant to me, I don't need to. What I can't follow is that cars seem exempt to the law as laid down in the highway code, yet from Ted's post a truck isn't, caravans are not, yet both have reflectors.

My comment is more the absurdity of a ruling exempting one class of vehicle, and I would like to try and find out the thinking behind it. Perhaps the sheer numbers of cars means that to enforce it for cars would not be possible??

37633[/snapback]

The law exemption was made back in the days when cars were much smaller than today and were not considered an obstacle in a well lit road PERHAPS today with some cars being as big as lorries the powers to be may not think that way.

well what can i say mind boggling!!!!!!!!!

the law is broken every day nothing is done about it

as yet no one has complained about our caravan

and yet every car in the street brakes the law they all park on the curb

it`s that bad that you have to walk on the road to get out of the street !

no doubt like many many streets in the uk

we all mourn about speed Cameras how much monny they make

If the law was enforced on curb parking the police force

Would no doubt over night become billionaires what a thought !!!!!!

bye paul

well what can i say mind boggling!!!!!!!!!

the law is broken every day nothing is done about it

as yet no one has complained about our caravan

and yet every car in the street brakes the law they all park on the curb

it`s that bad that you have to walk on the road to get out of the street !

no doubt like many many streets in the uk

we all mourn about speed Cameras how much monny they make

If the law was enforced on curb parking the police force

Would no doubt over night become  billionaires what a thought !!!!!!

bye paul

37641[/snapback]

Yes and remember there are laws governing the way you park at night even with the exemption:-

You must be parked pointing with the flow - against the flow and you are illegally parked!

You must be be more than a certain distance from a junction.

You must be within a certain distance of a LIT street lamp.

And (I seem to remember) not on a bus route.

I need to check my highway code to be certain of all of the rules but the above are constantly ignored.

sorry, leaving aside legalities, but I think parking a caravan on the side of the road is the height of unsociability (probally the wrong word!) and why on earth wouldn't you pay to have it stored like most others have to? I bet you 100% that sooner or later someone will key it or worse - why take the risk :blink:

sorry, leaving aside legalities, but I think parking a caravan on the side of the road is the height of unsociability (probally the wrong word!) and why on earth wouldn't you pay to have it stored like most others have to? I bet you 100% that sooner or later someone will key it or worse - why take the risk :blink:

37645[/snapback]

Got to admit I would worry more about the pride & joy left at a road side than I do parked on the driveway, even though it is a matter of feet between road & drive.

In terms of storage we use our van up to 3 weekends a month, and with "local" storage being a few miles away we felt we would loose our hitch up & go capability. We are extremely fortunate to have a driveway running down the side of our house that means our van can be stored off the road. We've fitted extra security to try & prevent theft. Plus it saves us ££££ over the year.

Got to admit I would worry more about the pride & joy left at a road side than I do parked on the driveway, even though it is a matter of feet between road & drive.

In terms of storage we use our van up to 3 weekends a month, and with "local" storage being a few miles away we felt we would loose our hitch up & go capability. We are extremely fortunate to have a driveway running down the side of our house that means our van can be stored off the road. We've fitted extra security to try & prevent theft. Plus it saves us ££££ over the year.

37679[/snapback]

Only thing I have against parking at home, is that when you go away the whole world knows the house is empty. I have someone living at home who stays at home when I go away, but I wouldn't like to think the house could be broken into whilst the said person was in bed. ..

Any vehicle parked on the highway is causing an obstruction unless it's in a designated parking place. It only needs a police officer to consider it an obstruction and you're nicked.

37306[/snapback]

It dosn't even need a Police Officers to consider it to be and obstruction even in a designated parking place. There is case law where he Judge ruled that a car parked in a designated parking place was causing an obstruction. It obstructed someone else using that piece of road.

As I have said before, a caravan parked on the highway is subject to the same rules and regulations as a skip. Lighting is required at night. As for obstruction!!! see at above case law.

I do park our caravan outside our home temporarily when going away/returning. We are at the end of a cul-de-sac. I have made up a lead with a 12N socket on and a 12 volt plug on the other. The 2 road light pins are connected inside the socket I plug the 12N plug into this socket and run the lead through the window to the 12 volt (fused) socket inside. This enables the caravan lights to be illuminated at night. I connect the van up to the mains via the caravan lead and an adaptor. I have used this system several times this year without a problem.

The danger of vandalism is a worry but we live in quite a quiet area.

Regards

Tim

We also park our van on the road whilst we are unloading and loading although we

do have to unhitch it or we would block our neighbour's drive. Talking of the

neighbours, we always check that its ok to park (as the nature of cul de sack means we have to park outside their house or we would block the road) and they have always said no problem. In fact when we returned from our last trip our neigbour saw us arriving and came running out to move his car so that we could park. You can't get much more accomodating than that. :):)

• 5 years later...

Please could you help? I do not have a caravan so have sneaked onto this site - but I PROMISE I have nothing against them at all!

My problem is that my neighbour has parked his caravan on the road outside his house for the last 2 years and it has never moved. He came over from Poland and I think he might be using it for storage - he certainly doesn't go on holiday in it! The problem i have with this (aside from him taking a parking space permanently) is that it blocks my view of oncoming traffic as I reverse out of my drive on to our very busy road. I literally cannot see a thing even though I inch my way out, I am absolutely terrified that I will hit a cyclist or car. As my children are usually in the back of the car, i worry for their safety too.

I asked him very politely if he would mind moving it to a part of the road where there are no drives, but he refuses as he want to be able to keep an eye on it. Is there anything I can do? I have asked the council but they say that it is not a direct obstruction so there is nothing they can do.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thank you in advance. ...

Archived