Mixed Feelings But Overall Not A Happy Bunny!

kgreen

Bit of rant but here we go, last Sunday went to the caravan to put the sleeping bags in and the upholstery has been shredded by mice, poo everywhere. Hubby says thats that end of caravanning but we've sewn the cushions up bleached and disinfected everything and put throws in. We put some bait bocks in and 2 days later every bit from 4 had gone! No fresh poot tho so more in and on Friday one in the wardrobe gone at, a little under the rear seat and the fronts were untouched so the little swines are getting in via the ducting thing of the blow air heating.

Anyway went on our first rally with Lincolnshire for their Harry Potter weekend and so say it was fab was an understatement, everyone made us feel really welcome and the initial worry of no electric hook up has gone so more CL sites appeal next year! We've learnt that the caravan will work on gas for the fridge and blow air heating. Also leant that the bearing renovation done by ARC is top notch (although it was never doubted!)

However thats were the good news stopped, while there we've found nearly have the caravan from front to the middle is spongy under the rail. From the top part way down, luckily there were a couple of mobile engineers at the rally that took a look and said its the awning rail and due to the extent of the damage its been like that a while. Now I brought this from the place that services and stores it as well as sells caravans as one that had been totally renovated as the last owner tried to jet wash it!! It also had a full service in March and I am damn sure this should have been picked up then but only damp under the window seal was picked up and was due to be done this week. I am furious as its likely I have no comeback on this and the mobile guys said to reseal all the rails, put a dehumidifier in and get some more years out of it.

Can anybody recommed somebody covering the Grimsby area that can sort this and if anybody has had this sort of work done what sort of price did you pay? They did say hubby could do it with time a care but we both work and have 2 young children and tbh its a job that needs doing properly.

Hopefully we can get it sorted as we are at the point of giving up the van and its not something that we want to do but just keep chucking money at it is not something we can keep doing :(

Hi, a mobile guy charged us £200 to seal the entire side of our van.

Duncan

I have £300-£400 in mind for the two sides and then maybe £200 for the front and back. I'm hoping that this then sorts anymore damp and I can live happy in this van for many more years yet! Seem to have a run of bad luck at the moment and its not like we don't try and look after it.

Oh no hope you get it sorted, there's a thread in "Top tips" on here about mice. We had them one year whilst in storage :angry: Thankfully no real damage to wiring, seating etc but the mess!!! I've read on here Jeys Fluid is good for keeping them out. Was my fault as I forgot i'd left a bag of dry dog food in the cupboard :rolleyes:

As for the damp i've now had experience repairing damp although mine wasn't the rails, mine was one of the bottom corners and slowly worked it's way up so it wasn't wasn't the rails thankfully.

Again i've read plenty advice on here about how to remove, reseal and replace the awning rail although not sure where an exact thread is. Don't think it's an easy job but more a two man job and quite a messy one at that, plus a delicate one. I'd attempt it with OH as my kids are all at school now.

I think you should get who you bought it from to repair it as surely they must've knew it was like that if it's been like that a while which the engineers said it looked like it has and it sounds like that so i'd push them or name and shame them.

Hope you get sorted :)

Compass Shadow 1988

Go see kenny at magnum motorhomes at cosalts yard. .. he use to build his own motorhomes so has vast experience. . maybe worth taking the van to him also so he can take a look

www. magnummotorhomes. co. uk

01472 353520

hope you get it sorted, dont give up caravanning, we sold our old van thinking we wouldnt miss it. BUT how wrong was i. .. £ months later we purchased our current van

as for the little bleeders (mice) its my next step im taking to complete my winter schedule. jeyes fluid here we come

It is being sort in time for my next outing in December. It seems that one owner said that the whole caravan had been done and when I went to them the person that carried out the work showed me that one side had been done as only that side was affected. Phew!

As for the mice, what would the jeyes fluid do and where would I put it? Kenny was my next port of call if I'd had no luck. Used him a few times and picked his brains on a few things over the years!

After our initialy 'hacked off' feeling has subsided I don't think we'll be getting rid of the van just yet :)

not sure on the jeyes fluid as i have read it on here. . i believe mice dont like it as peeps said to put id on the corner steadies or anything the bleeders can climb.

yeah kenny has helpd us a few times, and most of all seems to have everthing i ever want even if its not on his shelf :)

glas your not getting rid. . where in grimsby are you?

If Kenny can't help in the timeframe you need, CaravanChris the mobile service engineer would be worth giving a call. He is a very thorough guy. Also worth bearing in mind for servicing.

So sorry you've had such problems with blurdi mice, we stupidly left a nearly new awning in the front locker while it was in storage as we were using it in a couple of weeks time and when we went to get it out mice had been in and peed and poo'd all over it and had a good nibble too, just had to throw it away. Will have to make sure they don't get in anywhere over the winter now we've finished for the year.

Did you get it off Mack and Lyn?

Out of interest, what caravan is it?

2021 Swift Sienna Super 4SB

Having just read the original post again, it springs to mind that the damp should have been picked up during it's service in March. Do you have the report? If you do, it's more ammunition to use against the seller.

Hi,

His mobile number is 07821140299 and his web address is www. caravanchris. co. uk. I would recommend him to anyone as he does a very thorough job and is a nice guy as well. They also take care of damp repairs.

Thanks Les, number now stored in phone for future reference. does he do gas checks etc

Archived