Preparing A 'van For Storage In Winter

SpudH

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on what to do regarding the 'van when it's not being used in winter. I assume it's a matter of removing any water from the systems by just opening valves etc? The removing toilet cassette etc to a warmer garage? What about the battery?

Cheers in advance

The best way to winterise your van is to use it!! Why spend all that money for just a few months a years use? there are so many sites open all year now, choose one with a hard standing and get out there!

Phil.

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on what to do regarding the 'van when it's not being used in winter. I assume it's a matter of removing any water from the systems by just opening valves etc? The removing toilet cassette etc to a warmer garage? What about the battery?

Cheers in advance

I like to put the caravan on axle stands and winter wheels, using the axle stands to take most of the load off the winter wheels. To save the rubber suspension.

Then the wheels are covered with plastic bags and secured in place. The three wheels are stacked inside a heated garage.

Next the mover is lubricated and greased up, and again bagged up.

The jockey wheel is greased, along with anything else in that area, then the plugs are silicon sprayed and the hitch cover goes over the lot.

Water drainage we always do on site, if you mix the hot water remaining with cold water no damage is done to the grass, the journey home drains all the water from the system, the drain is left open.

This is my first winter with a onboard pump, i know some remove there pump but it looks like hassle to me, so I've left mine on, but run it to see if any water comes out.

The toilet water is drained on site, and again when i arrive home.

The cassete is left in place along with a tiny amount of blue in the base.

All the hinges and metal bits get covered with furniture polish, as some can rust if neglected otherwise its just for lubrication.

My battery never leaves the caravan until spring when i check the electrolyte, in the winter i use the standard onboard charger to keep the charge up, every 4 to six weeks.

A partly discharged battery can freeze at minus 16 degrees Centigrade, mines never frooze to date, if the battery charge is high the freesing temperature is lower still.

Been using this routine now since 1997, on my second battery, the first battery i let go at 7 years old with the caravan.

All curtains are drawn, blinds in the open position, other than the roof blinds which are at the recommended 75/25 position.

Because i can 90% of the upholstery is stored in a spare room, although there is no problem leaving them in, unless you get vermin inside.

I havent up to now, but place a baited trap inside just in case, this is the enclosed type and is placed adjacent the door entrance, so it can be conveniently checked.

All windows are closed, and i might put the heating on for a couple of hours during the really cold periods, it i feel like it, again its not essential.

Oh and the fridge door is left on vent, and the winter covers fitted.

Edited by xtrailman

We have the Whale inboard pump on ours and this year it will be removed and placed in a warmer climate, last year I drained down as I have for many years and still enough water remained in the system to blow he pump, according to Whale and the dealer it is nigh in impossible to get every little bit af water out from the Whale 814, it takes a minuscule amount sat in the pump to freeze and pop the pump, they suggest removing it and blowing it with an airgun and then protect from frost.