More Miles Per Gallon On Branded Fuel?

springtime

There was a comment recently on the forum that a member gets 2 to 3 more miles per gallon on branded fuel as opposed to supermarket fuels. I'm not sure whether it was petrol or diesel.

I've heard this before but I'm not sure that I am convinced.

I thought that the supermarkets bought whichever branded fuel was available at the best price.

Come to think of it, I read somewhere that even the tankers for the main brands did not necessarily fill up with that brand i. e. a BP tanker may well have Shell on board.

I'm not sure if this correct or not but would appreciate any comments from anybody who has worked in the petroleum industry who's more knowledgeable.

I'd heard that branded is better than non-branded in terms of performance. Not heard anything about MPG. As far as performance goes I seem to notice a slight improvement if I fill up at my Local Texaco rather than Morrisons but as the latter is usually 2 - 4p per litre cheaper I tend to stick with the supermarket.

I think all the fuel is basically the same but different brands add additives post refinery (in the tanker?)

As this is is just stuff I've heard it would be good if one of our number who works in the industry could put us right!

All the fuel is from the same storage tanks.

Only the additives are different.

This has been on the TV a couple of times.

When i worked as a contractor we did a lot of work in the bread factories, the same bread often left the factory with three or more different wrappers on, but the same bread inside.

Personally i always use the cheapest fuel, except from an independent thats the one and only time i have had poor fuel.

Edited by xtrailman

I use BP Ultimate in both the Terrano and petrol Premacy. The biggest difference is in the Terrano, with it being noticeably quieter and smoother. However, the big difference is in smoke and that gets my vote. The Premacy is better but, the big difference with it is only noticed when putting in supermarket unleaded. Very lumpy tick over and less responsive. That's the wife's verdict and she drives it 90% of the time. Glyn.

My experience with diesel fuel indicates that any benefit mpg wise appears to depend more on the features of the engine. Some benefit others dont.

Logging our mpg returns religiously we know my wife's Golf 1. 9 PD is better on the higher spec branded fuels [ultimate type products], than on Tescos or Sainsburys. Not to an extent that warrants on these grounds alone the extra cost.

However my Disco3 and Defender 110 show no mpg benefit from using these "better" top spec products. The Disco3 does benefit from using French supermarket fuel though at the same time the vehicles usage pattern is different to at home; it sees high percentages of towing and more longer trips so making constructive valid comparisons are difficult.

Edited by JTQ

I can't say that I have noticed any difference in MPG in any diesel that I have used

I used to use Sainsbury's (more convenient ) in my X-Trail.

Two years ago I filled up in France with Total Excellium diesel and the ammount of

muck that came out of my Exhaust onto the caravan was un-believable !

It couldn't be all Total's soot, not off one fill-up !

I can't say that I have noticed any difference in MPG in any diesel that I have used

I used to use Sainsbury's (more convenient ) in my X-Trail.

Two years ago I filled up in France with Total Excellium diesel and the ammount of

muck that came out of my Exhaust onto the caravan was un-believable !

It couldn't be all Total's soot, not off one fill-up !

Exactly! When I first stated using Ultimate, we did a fast run up to Liverpool and the smoke was embarrassing. Now, not only is there far less but it's a pale grey. Start up is as clean as a whistle as well. Glyn

For diesel I thought that I could easily tell the difference between my local supermarket fuel and my Shell station. This was in winter, in summer I couldn't detect a difference. I wondered if the winter additives were different or perhaps one changed to summer additives before the other.

Dave

I find that my diesel is quieter and there is less smoke on start up. On the wife's old Avensis we did get more miles per gallon using branded fuel. Haven't bought supermarket fuel for about 2 or 3 years but 2 days ago I had no choice however only stuck in 26 litres.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

I thought that the supermarkets bought whichever branded fuel was available at the best price.

One of our members, username 'Lee' who works in the industry gave us his take on this in another thread.

It's here, post number 14: http://www. caravanta. ..__fromsearch__1

Basically it's the tanker driver who puts in the additive when he fills up, a big responsibility. I wonder how often they get it wrong given the occasional real blunder that is made.

What strikes me is that most of us are running around on a cocktail of additives unless we are able to use the same brand all the time. This is not always possible when you are touring or doing long journeys.

I use Esso regular diesel which has a Tesco Express outlet because it is 1p/litre cheaper than Tesco petrol nearby. Occasionally it is the same price. I believe the above thread, that the quality of the additives is better so it makes sense to me.

Gordon

A long time ago when I lived in N. Ireland I used to keep a spread sheet of fuel price and usage. I had a MK1 diesel Mondeo. A local garage where I often filled up was taken to court by the Excise people for putting kerosene in his diesel tanks. I didn't see any difference in my consumption figures. (Perhaps it was high octane kerosene :D )

But then, the handbook for my car said that in winter it was permissible to run on a mix of diesel and 30% kerosene.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Said this before here but who is the biggest fuel supplier in UK?.....a company called Greenergy. ...one fifth of all domestic purchases are supplied by them usually from their own refineries. ..the same goes for some heating oils you buy. Their largest UK shareholder is Tesco although there are most others in the supermarket business who take their deliveries. ....many of the tankers you see with a supermarket name on are theirs as part of supply chain agreements. .

Yes, I have been working in a refinery and watched a whole chain of vehicles collecting with a variety of different brands and the specific blend. especially diesel, does differ from load to load. ....However, those specific premium brands you are discussing do not come out of the same pump but are usually pre-blended to the 'spec' to be sold at. ..

Regarding mpg. .....about 10 years I had a customer who delevloped engines for motor trade 'specials'...... and I asked him what he used, supermarket or premium petrol,his advice was ' never let your tank go below half full and every other fill-up take the premium blend. ........

Me, I use whatever supermarket I am passing these days. .

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I usually fill up at asda and mamnage to get 54. 3 to the gallon - according to the trip computer thingy - I will use Texaco sometimes and not no real increase in economy.

Said this before here but who is the biggest fuel supplier in UK?.....a company called Greenergy. ...one fifth of all domestic purchases are supplied by them usually from their own refineries. ..the same goes for some heating oils you buy. Their largest UK shareholder is Tesco although there are most others in the supermarket business who take their deliveries. ....many of the tankers you see with a supermarket name on are theirs as part of supply chain agreements. .

Yes, I have been working in a refinery and watched a whole chain of vehicles collecting with a variety of different brands and the specific blend. especially diesel, does differ from load to load. ....However, those specific premium brands you are discussing do not come out of the same pump but are usually pre-blended to the 'spec' to be sold at. ..

Regarding mpg. .....about 10 years I had a customer who delevloped engines for motor trade 'specials'...... and I asked him what he used, supermarket or premium petrol,his advice was ' never let your tank go below half full and every other fill-up take the premium blend. ........

Me, I use whatever supermarket I am passing these days. .

geoff

Just to add. ....

There are now about nine (?) refineries in the U. K. with only one in Scotland and the U. K. is criss crossed with fuel pipelines.

So, who is getting what, from where? How does a Shell station in Scotland provide the premium version of its fuels when it doesn't have a refinery in Scotland? (Grangemouth used to be a B. P. refinery now owned by Ineos?)

I just fill up where ever and when ever, usually the cheapest place.

However, the motorhome ALWAYS has better mpg when running on Swiss diesel. It matters not where it comes from in Switzerland but the MPG is always noticeably better.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I have done many 'brim to brim' tests on long runs specifically to determine this. The result with my one year old Ford 2. 0 tdci 163ps is absolutely no difference at all. I have tried the regular branded and premium (excellium,ultimate,v-power etc) against Tesco & Asda diesel. ..... the difference (* in MPG) nada, ,, nothing at all.

My mpg can vary by more than 2-3 miles per gallon depending on how I drive and where I go and when - and I always use the same cheapest supplier. Unless you drive exactly the same route under exactly the same conditions on a tankful of one brand and another of a 'well known make' , I don't see how you can begin to compare mpg for different brands.

Edited by lottie

Bet you all sharp down Tesco when the 5p off a litre offer is on. ...lol

I find the saving the odd 2-3p a litre outweighs the saving in mpg. ....

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Unless you drive exactly the same route under exactly the same conditions on a tankful of one brand and another of a 'well known make' , I don't see how you can begin to compare mpg for different brands.

Many of us do. I do the same route between Cheshire and Northumerland regularly and use criuse control. I do it often enough to account for weather conditions and head/tail wind etc.

I used to work for an oil co (bit of a clue in the user name!)

More than happy to use supermarket fuel all the time, I have brim to brim mileage records for the last ten years (approx 200,000 miles) during that time I have used premium fuels for periods of 10,000 miles at a time but could never see an improvement that made premium fuels cost effective.

As has already been mentioned the base fuel is the same wherever you buy it, the premium brands, Texaco Excelium, BP Ultimate, etc. etc. gain their 'premium status' as a result of additives which are mixed with the base fuel when the road tanker is loaded. Someone has mentioned the possibility of human error at the point of loading and additive mixture; there is significant technology employed at this stage and human error is almost impossible.

All fuel sold through UK forecourts has to meet an appropriate BS standard, which matches the specification outlined in a cars handbook; all supermarket fuels meet this specification.

I always use the next petrol station on the left hand side of the road when my guage gets between 1/4 and 1/2, by the time you drive round looking for the cheapest you've wasted so much and any price saving is negated, as for MPG reading the road ahead, is the best way to get good MPG, sudden and hard braking, Grand Prix starts at traffic lights all ruin good MPG,

What do I get ? don't really know the Bentley probably has the lowest mpg and the Marina the highest, with the Peugeot and Mitsibushi in the middle, but then each car is used for different purposes,and different type of driving. . my last American Pick-up truck i did work out the MPG and on a good day it was almost 9 mpg driven hard 12 mpg driven carefully or with cruise control on at 55, 1-2 mpg when racing at santa pod 1/4 mile (12. 2sec quarter mile) and 15 when towing a caravan, could never work out why it did more with the caravan attached lol. ..

Has anyone any views on the advantages/disadvantages of ordinary versus super unleaded - 95 v 98 octane? My BMW motorbike is supposed to have the super but the handbook says it will run happily on ordinary at reduced performance. I can't detect any difference except in the price!

Has anyone any views on the advantages/disadvantages of ordinary versus super unleaded - 95 v 98 octane? My BMW motorbike is supposed to have the super but the handbook says it will run happily on ordinary at reduced performance. I can't detect any difference except in the price!

I had a Audi rated at 180bhp but only when using 98 octane, it did run slightly quicker on 98, but 99% of the time i used 95 octane as the performance was hardly noticed.

Economy appeared the same as well, so the 5p extra back in 2000 ccouldn'tbe jjustified

Whatcar did a article about the higher octanes, the conclusion was there were no savings on fuel.

If I remember correctly when '5 star ' petrol was dropped from sale, certain cars had to be de-tuned, run on '4 star '

and never at full throttle !

Rover comes to mind, maybe Rover 2000