Black Mark Tomtom

Jaydug

My Tomtom One is getting a bit long in the tooth so I thought I would treat myself to a new one. I decided on an XL IQ Routes Edition 2 EU model from Amazon. At first, I was greatly impressed. I could key in a full postcode for a start. The lane guidance looked useful, and I liked the street names being called out. But then I tried to key in some GPS coordinates - and couldn't figure out how to do it. I went online for some help and eventually reached a forum where I found lots of guys complaining about the lack of the facility. No where in the specification list is coordinate input - or lack of it, mentioned.

To me, not being able to key in coordinates was a disaster. But fortunately when my daughters visited, one of them liked the street naming feature, so said she would have it. Rather than buying again online, I went to Halfords. I asked one of their guys, Which of these Tomtoms can you programme with GPS coordinates? Quick as a flash came the reply - All of them. .................... So I asked him to show me some of the models. After trying three different ones, I found an XXL 5" screen model that works with GPS numbers. I decided to get it.

Don't assume that every Tomtom will accept coordinates. I asked the Halfords guy why Tomtom didn't list the fact on the spec sheet. His reply - Nobody uses GPS coordinates. ..................... Don't you just love a real 'expert'!

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Just out of interest, when do you use coordinates rather than an address or postcode

I use coordinates copies from a location on Google Earth. I pinpoint the exact entry point to a site and transfer the coordinates to the Tomtom. Its better than postcodes.

Hijacking this thread a little; I use Co-Pilot rather than TomTom which will accept Ordnance Survey grid references. My Ramblers group often start walks from locations outside of towns etc which are not best served by Post Codes. For instance, tomorrows walk starts from SP852963 at Stoke Dry.

Brian

Just out of interest, when do you use coordinates rather than an address or postcode

First - my old Tomtom only accepts the first part of a postcode, which 9 times out of 10, is no help at all. Usually I find the spot I want on Google Earth - sometimes it may be a caravan site; or perhaps a beach which I haven't visited before with an adjacent carpark; or maybe a hypermarket in a strange town. All of those spots will clearly be shown on Google. It's easy to note down the coordinates, programme them into the satnav, and it takes me to the entrance.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Hijacking this thread a little; I use Co-Pilot rather than TomTom which will accept Ordnance Survey grid references. My Ramblers group often start walks from locations outside of towns etc which are not best served by Post Codes. For instance, tomorrows walk starts from SP852963 at Stoke Dry.

Brian

Some of the views you will see tomorrow.

First - my old Tomtom only accepts the first part of a postcode, which 9 times out of 10, is no help at all.

My classic was like that originally but there is a file that you can download so that you can use full post codes.

poolebob

• 2 weeks later...

I use coordinates copies from a location on Google Earth. I pinpoint the exact entry point to a site and transfer the coordinates to the Tomtom. Its better than postcodes.

Yes Me too - or Microsoft Autoroute.

I have a TomTom Go 730 which I love - the reading out of street names in particular. I'm astonished you can't add co-ordinates in the later models. Mine simply goes from : Navigate to. . Home, Favourite, Address, Recent Destination, POI and on the following page Point on map, Position of last stop and Latitude Longditude (co-ordinates)

I will certainly look very carefully now if I need to replace - like you I pin point my destination using latitude and longitude and to remove that facility is a retrograde step I think. Thanks for the useful tip.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Hi,

​We have a tom-tom x. l. Europe, the lane guidance can be slow, more than once have been told to exit--- while passing the junction ! and no --we were doing 50 m. p. h. mind you, being stuck in a little box on top of a hot dashboard and being stared at by two ( or less ) "gribblys " would put the wind up anybody ! :(

cheers david 1220

• 4 weeks later...

I like to plan routes on the PC and download them onto the satnav. Especially if I am going out on my bike.

Neither Tomtom nor Garmin allow this any more.

Why on earth would manufacturers take features off their products!!!!

Yes, whilst I love my TomTom, most of the time. It annoys me when planning a towing trip that I can spend hours planning the route on Google, Tweak it to how I want it. BUT can't then load it in to a gadget for in car use.

Jim

I like to plan routes on the PC and download them onto the satnav. Especially if I am going out on my bike.

Yes, whilst I love my TomTom, most of the time. It annoys me when planning a towing trip that I can spend hours planning the route on Google, Tweak it to how I want it. BUT can't then load it in to a gadget for in car use.

Jim

Yes you can, use this

http://www. tyre. tk/

Phil.

Sadly the more modern tomtoms only allow one "travel via" way point.

Having said that when i did try the tyre site with an older model i found itr a complicated pain to use.

Given that TomTom have teamed up to allow google searches on some units you would think they could sort out a simple way of doiing it.

J

Yes you can, use this

http://www. tyre. tk/

Phil.

• 1 month later...

My Tomtom One is getting a bit long in the tooth so I thought I would treat myself to a new one. I decided on an XL IQ Routes Edition 2 EU model from Amazon. At first, I was greatly impressed. I could key in a full postcode for a start. The lane guidance looked useful, and I liked the street names being called out. But then I tried to key in some GPS coordinates - and couldn't figure out how to do it. I went online for some help and eventually reached a forum where I found lots of guys complaining about the lack of the facility. No where in the specification list is coordinate input - or lack of it, mentioned.

To me, not being able to key in coordinates was a disaster. But fortunately when my daughters visited, one of them liked the street naming feature, so said she would have it. Rather than buying again online, I went to Halfords. I asked one of their guys, Which of these Tomtoms can you programme with GPS coordinates? Quick as a flash came the reply - All of them. .................... So I asked him to show me some of the models. After trying three different ones, I found an XXL 5" screen model that works with GPS numbers. I decided to get it.

Don't assume that every Tomtom will accept coordinates. I asked the Halfords guy why Tomtom didn't list the fact on the spec sheet. His reply - Nobody uses GPS coordinates. ..................... Don't you just love a real 'expert'!

Most people do not use cordinates because they do not know what they are and they do not know how to use the facility,bit like having a computer and only using a small bit of it's capaicity. For me I do everything in Long / Lat brings me right to the spot I want.

Malc

Last year when researching sites for an extended tour of France I noticed that quite a few gave GPS coordinates as their location, so it can be useful if your satnav accepts them (mine does: Tomtom GO 940).

I can't speak for the car versions of Garmin sat navs but the Zumo range made for motorbikes certainly do allow routes to be uploaded to them. The Zumo can be used in a car although they are more expensive

I to have a tomtom stand alone unit which is getting on a bit. My Iphone is due to be upgraded and I like the look of the tomtom app fIor that phone. I know its expensive but it seems to have one or two features the stand alone does not have. Still deciding