Illegals

Picked up my caravan from my dealer the other day and he reported that he had another customer that returned from spain, when they arrived in Dover customs found illigal immigrants in their van.

Please check your vans just before arrival in port and just before you get off the ferry. If they cling to the underneath of a truck to get on the ferry, your caravan will be a very welcoming hidaway for them whilst your upstairs for the crossing giving them plenty of time to gain access. I have had a couple of friends that have had their truck trailer door locks picked to get them inside and the lock looks normal.

This couple is now facing fines, although they are innocent, which is hard to prove to the authorities. The fine is currently £2,000 per person found in your vehicle, well worth the little time to check. I am also facing fines for 4 found in my trailer a few weeks ago, the problem is worse than ever at the moment.

Picked up my caravan from my dealer the other day and he reported that he had another customer that returned from spain, when they arrived in Dover customs found illigal immigrants in their van.

Please check your vans just before arrival in port and just before you get off the ferry. If they cling to the underneath of a truck to get on the ferry, your caravan will be a very welcoming hidaway for them whilst your upstairs for the crossing giving them plenty of time to gain access. I have had a couple of friends that have had their truck trailer door locks picked to get them inside and the lock looks normal.

This couple is now facing fines, although they are innocent, which is hard to prove to the authorities. The fine is currently £2,000 per person found in your vehicle, well worth the little time to check. I am also facing fines for 4 found in my trailer a few weeks ago, the problem is worse than ever at the moment.

Hi StevenLisa. With the problem as prevalent as it appears I am rather surprised that scans are not carried out using Heat Seeking cameras. Whether they are underneath trailers/lorries or inside whatever they choose to hitch-hike on/in it would surely be in everyone's interest to have the Heat Seeking Technology scan the vehicles arriving & leaving the ports.

I know that it may sound a bit extreme but some of these could even be planted Suicide Bombers that are detonated by someone else from God Knows Anywhere.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Believe they use Co2 probes as well as Thermal Imagine Cameras. Have had my lorry checked in the past at state prisons with the Co2 probes and are very efficient piece's of kit. ..........

Grumpy auld Smeesh. ......... :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ....Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . .......

Believe they use Co2 probes as well as Thermal Imagine Cameras. Have had my lorry checked in the past at state prisons with the Co2 probes and are very efficient piece's of kit. ..........

Hi Smeesh. If equipment is there and being used how can these people still be getting into the UK.

Is it possible I wonder, if we have some people in 'Higher Places' using others like Drug Barons use 'Mules'?.

I wonder when the day will dawn when some of the illegals will try getting out of the UK using the same method that got them in here in the first place?.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

On more than one occasion my van has been checked by port officials both here in the UK and in Europe prior to getting on a ferry. I have no problem and they have a quick look and of course check the toilet. I guess I could have someone hidden under a seat but as i don't, I have no problem. I was alwasy curious as to why they checked me 'leaving' the UK, maybe there were people who had not paid taxes trying to escape.

I also believe that Cusotms officals check the car decks of the boats while at sea, so they have a pretty good idea of whom they wish to check further when you dock.

Last year I was waiting to board the ferry from Holland to the UK when a large number of Dutch Border officials arrived, set up a mobile x ray unit through which all of the lorries had to drive. Interestingly, on that sailing all of the lorries came from 'CK' rather than the usual mix of nationalities. I'm guessing that some information had been received about possible stowaways/people smuggling. As far as I'm aware nothing was found.

There wasn't anything special at the UK end, just the usual sullen faced, slow Border jobsworths forcing everyone to wait on the dockside after disembarking for an inordinate length of time (over 50 mins in my case, i actually had time to ring DFDS and complain)

Hi Smeesh. If equipment is there and being used how can these people still be getting into the UK.

Have you never watched the TV programmes about HMRC and the Immigration Service?

Do you have any idea of how many trucks travel each day through Calais? Checking every one would be absolutely impossible without bringing commercial traffic to a literal standstill. . Most checking is based on "nose" or intelligence to get the most benefit from the time and personnel available.

What is most illogical is that if illegal immigrants are found. once in the U. K. . they are released to appear, voluntarily, at a reception centre and often given the fare to get there.

Another vote for the tunnel, and staying with your vehicle.
My last few towcars, and now motorhome have been LPG powered, and as a result "the tunnel" treat me as if I have the plague! I have no choice but to use the ferry for my holidays.

For day trips with another car I may use the tunnel.

Checking every one would be absolutely impossible without bringing commercial traffic to a literal standstill.
Agreed. But it would be nice for those who are concerned, if it were possible to volunteer for a check on arrival, on the understanding that the driver would not be fined if anyone was found. Just a thought.

The best advice though is to make your last stop at least 100 miles from the port, then check thoroughly before driving directly to the port without stopping.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

We've had our caravan checked many times at Calais and Dunkerque - with both an internal search (including the small cupboards) and a 'mirror on a stick' underneath the van. We've just got used to it - though it didn't happen on the last two trips, it was a regular occurrence in previous years.

Additionally we always go inside the van immediately before boarding, just in case.

Edited by ValA

The best advice though is to make your last stop at least 100 miles from the port, then check thoroughly before driving directly to the port without stopping.

Gordon.

The OP was about illegals who may have got on board the ferry hidden on a truck then transfer to a caravan on the car deck and subsequently found at Dover. A search of the caravan at Calais prior to boarding, which is quite common, would not prevent this but could support a defence that this was how it happened

The OP was about illegals who may have got on board the ferry hidden on a truck then transfer to a caravan on the car deck and subsequently found at Dover. A search of the caravan at Calais prior to boarding, which is quite common, would not prevent this but could support a defence that this was how it happened
Correct, and was the reason for my comment you chose not to quote.
But it would be nice for those who are concerned, if it were possible to volunteer for a check on arrival, on the understanding that the driver would not be fined if anyone was found. Just a thought.
Maybe I should have specified that I was referring to the arrival at Dover, and prior to leaving the security of the docks?

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I must admit that a couple of years ago my OH went back down to the car deck just before sailing, and found someone very suspicious wandering about the deck. He did mention it to a member of staff - who took little notice! Perhaps we all ought to check the inside of the van before disembarking at Dover/whatever port in Britain????

We got stopped at the Tunnel coming home last Easter. The customs official asked me where I had stopped the night before. 'On a campsite' was my reply. So gormless was my reply he nearly died laughing. I do my own checks anyway, I cant afford a hefty fine, nor do I want undesireables in my country.

I must admit that a couple of years ago my OH went back down to the car deck just before sailing, and found someone very suspicious wandering about the deck. He did mention it to a member of staff - who took little notice! Perhaps we all ought to check the inside of the van before disembarking at Dover/whatever port in Britain????

I have to check the 'van before arrival as I have to stow all the "duty free" presents in the 'van that SWMBO has bought for friends and family!!!!

We were stopped for a search when we were at Portsmouth and about to leave for Caen. She didn't search the caravan though, much to our surprise, but asked us if we had any weapons, then told us to open the glove compartment. She asked if we would open the boot. We warned her that the dog was in there and with the dog being restrained and barking at full volume, she looked inside. We did offer to take the dog out so she could have a better look but she declined. We thought all this was a bit of a waste of time and couldn't understand why they didn't search the caravan.

I don't think we would have any asylum seekers trying to get in our van during the crossing as we put the dog in there as it is more comfortable for her.

They use CO2 checks at dunkerque & at the channel tunnel, none are available at Calais port

Have you never watched the TV programmes about HMRC and the Immigration Service?

Do you have any idea of how many trucks travel each day through Calais? Checking every one would be absolutely impossible without bringing commercial traffic to a literal standstill. . Most checking is based on "nose" or intelligence to get the most benefit from the time and personnel available.

What is most illogical is that if illegal immigrants are found. once in the U. K. . they are released to appear, voluntarily, at a reception centre and often given the fare to get there.

They already have 100% check of all trucks leaving france in some form or another. The day 4 were found in my truck i had already passed through the scanner, it was the dog that sniffed them out just prior to boarding. The scanners are not worth a dot!

My last few towcars, and now motorhome have been LPG powered, and as a result "the tunnel" treat me as if I have the plague! I have no choice but to use the ferry for my holidays.

For day trips with another car I may use the tunnel.

Agreed. But it would be nice for those who are concerned, if it were possible to volunteer for a check on arrival, on the understanding that the driver would not be fined if anyone was found. Just a thought.

Gordon.

Volunteering yourself will not avoid a fine. I know a macedonian driver that suspected he had peoplen in his trailer when he arrived at dover, as it was rocking. He alerted UK customs and they checked his trailer and found 20 inside. For his good will of alerting the authorities his company was fined £40,000 (£2,000 per head)

100 miles is no assurance, my overnight stop was at Brussels, Belgium and I drove straight to calais, inside the trailer was bags of Urine & nasties confirming they had been in the trailer for a considerable time. I am aware of drivers that have found them in their trucks with the last stop being in Luxemburg. No distance is any assurance of a safe distance nowadays.

On International trips, by law we have to run under CMR conditions, as such we are not permitted to break our trailer seal to check inside. We rely on the security checks to find them!

Volunteering yourself will not avoid a fine. I know a macedonian driver that suspected he had peoplen in his trailer when he arrived at dover, as it was rocking. He alerted UK customs and they checked his trailer and found 20 inside. For his good will of alerting the authorities his company was fined £40,000 (£2,000 per head)
Presumably that is because by then he had actually entered the dock by then. So what if he had stopped at a police station prior to entering the docks? Surely then, by definition he would not have been trying to smuggle anyone anywhere? Maybe the answer is to have a voluntary check point outside of the controlled dock areas? But then I guess you would be in contravention of the contract management review conditions. I don't know. The whole approach feels wrong to me. It appears your guilty if caught and guilty if you do your best to help!

Gordon.

They use CO2 checks at dunkerque & at the channel tunnel, none are available at Calais port

They certainly do use CO2 probes at Calais port and have done so for quite some time. I have watched them doing it on several occasions.

They certainly do use CO2 probes at Calais port and have done so for quite some time. I have watched them doing it on several occasions.

I go through calais at least twice a week and never ever have i had my trailer CO2 checked at this port, it does not exist at calais.

They were pulling caravans over & checking at Calais on Friday.

I go through calais at least twice a week and never ever have i had my trailer CO2 checked at this port, it does not exist at calais.

Thank you for doubting ( ;)) my comment. I am over later this month and will photograph any probes I may see in use.

Thank you for doubting ( ;)) my comment. I am over later this month and will photograph any probes I may see in use.

I came through this morning and still no CO2 are you confusing it with the heartbeat monitor / scanner?