We will be going to Spain for the first time mid November for 3 months and I was just wondering about safe places to stop and take a break, stretch your legs, etc.

We are going from Portsmouth to Bilbao and driving down the middle of Spain to Malaga with a couple of stopovers. Haven't booked anything yet, just going to take a chance. Is that advisable?

Are the services similar to the UK and safe? and how far apart are they?

What are the do's and don'ts.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Looking forward to the trip now very much

Cheers

Stan

There is no need to book but you should be aware of where you are heading for to stay the night. There are sites open and if you look in the Winter Guide from the Camping Club you will see where they are.

It's the same as any other place if you pull up for a rest just be aware of who and what is around you.

If you use motorways then there will be services but not as many as France so don't wait until you are nearly empty before you fill up.

Mike

There is no need to book but you should be aware of where you are heading for to stay the night. There are sites open and if you look in the Winter Guide from the Camping Club you will see where they are.

It's the same as any other place if you pull up for a rest just be aware of who and what is around you.

If you use motorways then there will be services but not as many as France so don't wait until you are nearly empty before you fill up.

Mike

Hi Mike, yes I should have said that we are heading for Pico de la Meil for the first night and then not sure for the second night, see how far we get, but thanks for that.

We are on the Bilbao ferry on the 27 December but as the ferry docks very late afternoon it will be too late to get to such as Pico until late and parking up in the dark on that site is not easy.

However you are allowed to stay on the docks overnight and then get an early start next morning. This means that we can get around Madrid and stay at International Aranjuez, this is a good site and the town with it's Palaces is well worth a visit.

Mike

Are the services similar to the UK and safe? and how far apart are they?

Service areas on the AP1 to Burgos are similar to UK ones - maybe a bit smaller. Once you're past Burgos and on the A1 and A4 there are just filling stations although some have big parking areas alongside and maybe a cafeteria. Most of them have entrances which exit from the motorway but some have rather long service road to negotiate before rejoining the main road. Going south on the A1 at KM150 there's a filling station which has good access and a short service road to regain the motorway. If you are staying overnight at La Cabrera, the exit is at KM57.

Once you're on the A4, the filling station at KM98 has easy access. Also the one at KM192.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We are on the Bilbao ferry on the 27 December but as the ferry docks very late afternoon it will be too late to get to such as Pico until late and parking up in the dark on that site is not easy.

However you are allowed to stay on the docks overnight and then get an early start next morning. This means that we can get around Madrid and stay at International Aranjuez, this is a good site and the town with it's Palaces is well worth a visit.

Mike

We are on the Bilbao ferry on the 17th November but its a two night crossing because it calls into Roscoff to change crew. We dock in Bilbao 7. 30 on the 20th so I could go to that site at Aranjuez.

Having never been to mainland Spain before, suggestions for sites are very welcome .

Is this an overnight stop for you on the way to the south or do you stay a while?

Service areas on the AP1 to Burgos are similar to UK ones - maybe a bit smaller. Once you're past Burgos and on the A1 and A4 there are just filling stations although some have big parking areas alongside and maybe a cafeteria. Most of them have entrances which exit from the motorway but some have rather long service road to negotiate before rejoining the main road. Going south on the A1 at KM150 there's a filling station which has good access and a short service road to regain the motorway. If you are staying overnight at La Cabrera, the exit is at KM57.

Once you're on the A4, the filling station at KM98 has easy access. Also the one at KM192.

I am not sure where we are staying yet John, but the info on the services and filling stations are very helpful, thank you. Its getting very near sailing time now so I'd better sort something soon.

From Bilbao to Aranhuez is 285 miles. You'll need about six hours to do the journey - plus your stops. For getting through Madrid, there are 3 ring motorways, M30; M40 and M50. I prefer the M50. It swings wider around the city so is therefore a triffle longer, but it carries less traffic and is usually free-flowing. The slip road to the A4 from the M40, exits from the fast lane, which when towing, I always find a bit hairy, since it's usually rush hour when I arrive there. Also there is a toll motorway - the M4 which goes from Madrid down past Aranhuez. There isn't much point in paying for it - the A4 is excellent. To use the M50, leave the A1 at junction 21.

I will be stopping off at Aranhuez at the end of November and I plan to stop for two nights because the site is close to one of Spain's Royal Palaces and there's too much to see in just an hour or so.

From Bilbao to Aranhuez is 285 miles. You'll need about six hours to do the journey - plus your stops. For getting through Madrid, there are 3 ring motorways, M30; M40 and M50. I prefer the M50. It swings wider around the city so is therefore a triffle longer, but it carries less traffic and is usually free-flowing. The slip road to the A4 from the M40, exits from the fast lane, which when towing, I always find a bit hairy, since it's usually rush hour when I arrive there. Also there is a toll motorway - the M4 which goes from Madrid down past Aranhuez. There isn't much point in paying for it - the A4 is excellent. To use the M50, leave the A1 at junction 21.

I will be stopping off at Aranhuez at the end of November and I plan to stop for two nights because the site is close to one of Spain's Royal Palaces and there's too much to see in just an hour or so.

Thanks John, I will do just that. I had decided on the M50 a while ago after one of your earlier posts.

Its a Saturday that we dock and I didn't fancy going around Madrid because it probably would be busy,and Sunday could be quieter, that's why we thought of Pico de la Miel which is just 218 mile but we have got a full day so I think I will see how we get on and I may plod on to Aranjuez.

I have been looking at the site and the area on the net which looks very nice and as you say there's to much to see in a few hours, and hey! what the hell, we've got 90 days, not that that's going to be long enough either. You will be there a week or so after us then.

So enjoy

Cheers Stan

that's why we thought of Pico de la Miel

Last time I stayed there - a Sunday night, I think I was the only one on the site. It's right up against the mountains and quite cold over night. But Saturday could be different. Lots of Madrilenos keep their caravans on site for weekend use. But enjoy which ever site you use.