Is It To Heavy

dazkim

Hi all

Well i am now in the market for my new second hand caravan at last. We would like a fixed bed model and we have found a van we like at a price we like but is our car up to the job what are your views. our car is a ford mondeo 2. 0 tdci zetec s model which weighs in at 1505kg the book says max tow weight of 1800 kg . . the van we have seen weighs in at 1274 unladen . now there is only two of us and we travel light we dont use awnings or any heavy items like that so what do you think is the car up to the job or would it be to risky going above the 85% tow weight. your veiws are welcomed.

cheers dazkim <_< ;)

Hi all

Well i am now in the market for my new second hand caravan at last. We would like a fixed bed model and we have found a van we like at a price we like but is our car up to the job what are your views. our car is a ford mondeo 2. 0 tdci zetec s model which weighs in at 1505kg the book says max tow weight of 1800 kg . . the van we have seen weighs in at 1274 unladen . now there is only two of us and we travel light we dont use awnings or any heavy items like that so what do you think is the car up to the job or would it be to risky going above the 85% tow weight. your veiws are welcomed.

cheers dazkim <_<  ;)

37130[/snapback]

Hi there, you don't say the weight of the vans mtplm, going on the unladen weight you'll be just fine, but even your gas bottles, spare wheel will soon add to this, then when start by adding just basic items like tv's, awnings etc, if i were you i would minus the unladen weight from the mtplm and then work out how heavy all your goods are and be a bit generous then you should be close to your real towing weight, but Mondeys are good towers and my last car was alot lighter than my Mondeo with my current caravan and i towed reasonably comfortably at around 94% but it feels even better now i,m at about 80ish% , good luck with your choice's :)

Coachman Genius & Mazda BT50 TS2

what make of van is it,if its 1274 miro then the mptlm is going to be about 1450-1500 i would think which is within the capabilities of the max tow but is a bit near to the 100% of the cars kbw (1450 IS 96%)1500 A LITTLE HIGHER

nissan xtrail tekna 173 . ....SERIES 2 UNICORN VALENCIA 2013

HI

THE MAX LADEN WEIGHT OF THE VAN IS 1500KG SO I KNOW THE PERCENTAGE WOULD BE HIGH BUS AS I SAY WE DONT USE AWNINGS AND WE DO TEND TO LOAD THE CAR MORE THAN THE VAN

CHEERS DAZKIM

I'm sure the CC used to do info about rough weights of equipment etc but I can't find it online. Anyway, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere to allow about 100kgs for initial things you'd take away (TV, crockery etc) and then 25kgs per person so for 2 people allow about 150kgs on top of the unladed weight.

That'd take you to roughly 1425kgs laden but, t be safe you should weigh everything you'd put in the caravan - and remember to add the weight of the mover, if it has one.

I knew my van to car weight ratio would be high so I weighed everything I put in my van and kept it on an Excel spreadsheet.

HTH

The 85% rule is only a guideline and if you are an experienced tower there should be no problem unless you load up the caravan to the maximum. I towed a caravan with a MTPLM of 1650 kg behind by Volvo S80 no problem. The Volvo and the Mondeo weigh approximately the same. Don't forget when you get into the Mondeo with a full tank of petrol youj will be within normal safety parameters. Go for it and enjoy yourself!

Hi Daz

Knowing the experience you have had towing only one person can answer this. Personally I think that one person has got a little doubt in his mind. Knowing yourself, Kim and of course Tigger, the way you caravan etc. it will be close but I think you will be ok.

Regards

Pete

Volvo

Thanks all

As you say pete i have got a little doubt in my mine not that the car wouldent cope but i do like to be in the green of the 85% and not in the red and its that doubt i was hoping to get removed by asking the question.

cheers all dazkim

When I was choosing my car/caravan I went through a similar dilemma.

I drew up a table comparing the cars kerb weight to the caravans MIRO & MTPLM to assess what % I was likely to be towing at.

This ranged from 80%-98%

As the van is a four berth there is a whopping 285kg for additional items.

As there were only going to be 2 of use ever using the van it was fair to say I would be towing at somewhere between these figures

I then drew up a list of accessories carried in the van and added there respective weights after consulting the Caravan clubs list

Adding an allowance for clothing I came to a 120kg for personal equipment which give me a ration of 87%

I suggest you do a similar exercise it should ease your mind.

As a foot note the caravan tows superbly stable and doesn’t feel like the tail waging the dog.

The secret of stability is getting the nose weight right!

I have attached the tables for your interest.

The items with no weight against are carried in the car.

TABLE 1 CAR AND CARAVAN WEIGHTS

Caravan MIRO 1146 Kg 80% van/kerb weight

Caravan MTPLM 1431 Kg 98% van/kerb weight

Nose weight at 7% MIRO 80 Kg

Nose weight at 7% MTPLM 100 Kg

Nose weight Limit 75 Kg

Car Kerb weight 1450 Kg

Maximum Towing limit 1500 Kg

Personal Equipment 120kg

Actual MTPLM 87%

TABLE 2 PERSONAL EQUIPTMENT

Eurovent Chamonix Porch Awning 20kg

Breathable Groundsheet 2. 4m x 2. 3m 2kg

PVC Groundsheet 3kg

Rock Pegs 5kg

Peg Bag 1kg

Lump Hammer 2kg

40 litre Aqua Roll 3kg

Aquaroll Bag 1kg

Wastemaster 2kg

Wastemaster Bag 1kg

Mains Hookup Bag 1kg

Mains Hookup Reel 4kg

Television Aerial 1kg

Television pole 1kg

Aerial Lead 25m 1kg

Caravan Jack 3kg

Stack Pads 1kg

Jack Pads 1kg

Gas Cylinder 6kg 0kg

Gas Cylinder 3. 9kg 0kg

Hitch Lock 0kg

Wheel Clamp 0kg

Leisure Battery 18kg

Water Container 0kg

Roll up Water Container 1kg

Portable Television 10kg

Portable Television Bag 1kg

Quilt 3kg

Quilt Cover 1kg

Pillows 1kg

Hoover 2kg

Plates cups etc 2kg

Saucepans 1kg

Frying Pans 2kg

Cooking utensils 1kg

Cutlery 2kg

TOTAL 98kg

ADDITIONAL ITEMS 22kg

TOTAL 120kg

Trust the above is of help

Desperado

The 85% rule is only a guideline and if you are an experienced tower there should be no problem unless you load up the caravan to the maximum.   I towed a caravan with a MTPLM of 1650 kg behind by Volvo S80 no problem.   The Volvo and the Mondeo weigh approximately the same.   Don't forget when you get into the Mondeo with a full tank of petrol youj will be within normal safety parameters.   Go for it and enjoy yourself!

37144[/snapback]

Not to discredit anything you say, but if you go above the 100% margin can the police stop you ? as a unsafe outfit, but i maybe wrong so please don't take this the wrong way :)

Coachman Genius & Mazda BT50 TS2

Desperado

I note on your list you have gas at 6kg and 3. 9kg.

Is the cylinder weight included in the additional items?

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

The simple fact is that if you adhere to the 85% guideline (and yes, I know it's not a rule) you will be less likely to have a snake. Also, if you are unfortunate to experience a snake but are within the guideline, you will be more likely to survive it intact.

I just don't know why people even try to justify going over the 85% guideline or kid themselves that everything will be OK.

In my opinion, the 85% guideline is perhaps the most important safety advice when considering towing a caravan.

Yossa

2007 Mondeo 2. 2 TDCi & 2003 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux

It is after all only a recommend guideline by an independent organisation and can be exceeded without breaking the law, however to exceed it, is unwise especially if you are an inexperienced tower.

I towed a twin axle with MTPLM 1650 kg behind my car with a kerbweight about 1650 kg no problem and it was as steady as a rock at 60 mph. The payload of the van is about 350 kgs but generally, including the motor mover rarely exceeds 220kgs so we have a margin to play around with. The car had the oomph to take me out of danger if acceleration was required and the ability to stop safely in the event I had tio brake sharply.

Only you can decide whether you are going to feel comfortable with the guideline of 85% reduced by 5 - 10%. If an experienced tower go for it!

cb1701,

You cannot exceed the 100% (caravan maximum plated weight against car's kerb weight) if you passed your driving test after 01/01/1997 and have only category B on your licence. You need B+E to go over the 100% limit.

You can legally tow up to the car maker's specified towing limit, which can be way over the 100% in some cases. How would anyone make large 4x4s if the limit was 100%. A Discovery can tow 3500kg yet its kerb weight is around 2400kg (145%)

From the information given by Daz I would expect that it will be fine.

cb1701,

You cannot exceed the 100% (caravan maximum plated weight against car's kerb weight) if you passed your driving test after 01/01/1997 and have only category B on your licence. You need B+E to go over the 100% limit.

You can legally tow up to the car maker's specified towing limit, which can be way over the 100% in some cases. How would anyone make large 4x4s if the limit was 100%. A Discovery can tow 3500kg yet its kerb weight is around 2400kg (145%)

From the information given by Daz I would expect that it will be fine.

37273[/snapback]

It's easy to say yep, go ahead, that will be fine, but surely we should be encouraging people to adhere to the 85% guideline?

And who in their right mind would tow at 60mph (or 80mph in France) at 145%!

Look at it this way, there's only two of you in the towing vehicle, the fuel tank's pretty low, there's very little in the boot and the van's at it's MTPLM. Wouldn't you feel safer knowing that you had adhered to the 85% guideline?

Yossa

2007 Mondeo 2. 2 TDCi & 2003 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux

The 85% guideline came about from the Caravan industry, the Caravan Club and the Camping & Caravanning Club for people new to towing. I agree with this but pointed out the legal situation so that people knew what they can and cannot do. What they actually do is up to them and with the knowledge of their own towing experience.

I have towed heavy trailers across Europe at maximum allowed speed limits but made sure that the trailer was loaded correctly. This is the most important thing of all. Caravans do not get anywhere near 3500kg with the biggest twin axle around 1800kg (75% behind a Discovery). Most trailers have low sides and do not have a great big aluminium box on them like caravans so do not suffer from side winds etc to the same extent as caravans.

I should have added to my previous post that people with only category B licence can tow a trailer up to 750 kg behind a car with a weight up to 3500kg giving a gross train weight of 4250kg OR can tow a trailer with a gross weight (plated) not exceeding the car's kerb weight (100%) as long as the combined max weight of the trailer added to the car's maximum weight (not the kerb weight) do not exceed 3500kg

I hope that this helps clarify the position.

Archived