How About A Pinned Mpg Stats

madatter

Are you going to lay down any ground rules on how the economy is calculated?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Does anyone ever tell the truth about mpg - not in my experience. All the figures I see quoted (including those from the manufacturers) are in excess of anything I achieve and I don't think I'm too heavy footed!

05 Mondeo tdci 130bhp, motorway 50mpg, town 38mpg, towing 34mpg

If the figs above are your own then they are not representative, every manufacturer produces a set of mpg figures which are all calculated using the same methodology and offer a better comparison. .

I think by posting your own achievements it becomes more of a competition and then strays away from the original intention.

Yep, there is no requirement in law for fuel computers to be accurate, so manufacturers are more likely to put in one which reads a bit high to make people feel good about their car.

I often find people talk about their car doing 50mpg or whatever, and when you ask a bit more, that was the consumption at a steady 55-ish on an empty motorway. I used to get 60+ out of my mondeo in those conditions!

Cold starts and short journies are the real killers of MPG in both petrol and diesel cars.

David

Spoilsport. ;)

The rules

1. Must be brim to brim for each calculation
  2. The same hose in the same petrol station must be used to ensure same tank level cut off.
  3. If also quoting towing figures you must be brim to brim on the same hose immediately before towing and immediately before going solo again.
  4. If you are within 10% of the manufacturers figures, discount that fill up - you must have made a mistake.
  5. Esoteric fuels such as those with Octane levels in double figures are expressly forbidden.
  6. Cold starts and short journeys must make up more than 75% of total driving

Edited by SamD

Does anyone ever tell the truth about mpg

I do with Discovery's. ...... it's scary and I am ultra light footed!!

I agree that most other figures I see quoted by folk are to be commended as they seem to well exceed what even over enthusiastic manufacturers quote. :unsure:

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Spoilsport. ;)

The rules

1. Must be brim to brim for each calculation
  2. The same hose in the same petrol station must be used to ensure same tank level cut off.
  3. If also quoting towing figures you must be brim to brim on the same hose immediately before towing and immediately before going solo again.
  4. If you are within 10% of the manufacturers figures, discount that fill up - you must have made a mistake.
  5. Esoteric fuels such as those with Octane levels in double figures are expressly forbidden.
  6. Cold starts and short journeys must make up more than 75% of total driving

Brilliant. Though I don't know about it being pinned, it may as well be locked now. :D

If you log 3 or 4 consecutive 'Home Town ' re-fills you should get a reasonably true MPG reading.(600 to 800 miles )

As for towing it will be almost impossible

There is a lot of garbage on caravan forums, but surely nothing as extreme as the Jackanory numbers bandied about concerning fuel consumption.

i know what I get driving `normally`, and I know what I get driving like a saint, yet we have the same people posting about how their tugs get double the numbers (or as near as) towing heavier vans with vehicles whose manufacturers figures can`t even come close to what my car is supposedly capable of.

We also get the "I go up the side of Snowden without changing out of top gear` drivel as well.

If you can`t be truthful, why not just say nothing at all? You aren`t fooling anyone on here that may have passed the 11+, and you just make yourselves look stupid. It also serves to devalue any other comments you care to post about any other subject.

I know you will always get "bar-room bullshitters" wherever you go, but unfortunately any thread on fuel consumption always encourages them out of the woodwork.

If the figs above are your own then they are not representative, every manufacturer produces a set of mpg figures which are all calculated using the same methodology and offer a better comparison. .

I think by posting your own achievements it becomes more of a competition and then strays away from the original intention.

Hi to you all out there. The resolve to the alleged inaccuracies of the 'OBC' is to do a thorough 1000mile self diagnostic evaluation based upon the completely filled to the brim tank. Drive as near 1000miles and fill to brim again on the same spot as previously used.

Then divide the litres by 4. 5461= gallons 1000 divided by gallons consumed = mpg.

Non of this 95miles on six quid nonsense. By using the recognised figures within the industry it will give an honest enough comparison between the ACTUAL & MAKE-BELIEVE.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

There is a lot of garbage on caravan forums, but surely nothing as extreme as the Jackanory numbers bandied about concerning fuel consumption.

i know what I get driving `normally`, and I know what I get driving like a saint, yet we have the same people posting about how their tugs get double the numbers (or as near as) towing heavier vans with vehicles whose manufacturers figures can`t even come close to what my car is supposedly capable of.

We also get the "I go up the side of Snowden without changing out of top gear` drivel as well.

If you can`t be truthful, why not just say nothing at all? You aren`t fooling anyone on here that may have passed the 11+, and you just make yourselves look stupid. It also serves to devalue any other comments you care to post about any other subject.

I know you will always get "bar-room bullshitters" wherever you go, but unfortunately any thread on fuel consumption always encourages them out of the woodwork.

I couldn't agree more.

Angus,

Pour yourself a whisky and calm down. But I did enjoy this post. :D

Gordon

I couldn't agree more.

This is not Bar-room *****,this is fact,albeit on a lower mileage. I did a 300mile round trip yesterday (Friday) into Northumberland & back in my 1997 Volvo T5 CD Auto. I had a relatively easy drive up & back at a maintained 70mph in cruise and with very little lower than 60mpg as traffic got more dense. As I landed on my driveway the OBC indicated 29. 5 Ave mpg. I have not done a fill-up yet but I believe it to be a more honest 27. 28,a difference of some 7. 5% on the OBC figures. That is near real world as I know it.

That puts my towing mpg with that particular V70 in the dust bin at not 19. 5mpg but an eye watering 18mpg. The end result is that over a 1000mile towing exercise £26. 00 extra to what was expected goes into the tank.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I do know what my motor does on different types of journeys solo,towing, motorways,high winds,etc, but i dont worry about it or brag about it . As long as i have a good towcar capable of doing the job with plenty to spare thats all that matters.

In my opinion it is a waste of time I have always recorded my fuel usage and since having PC's calculated the average. The results vary enormously from fill up to fill up, and although I note when towing has been involved it is very rare that I have only towed between fill ups.

ElBeardo :)

David

Hi David,

Thats just what I was thinking.

To be honest, I have seen so many astonomical towing figures, from wishfull thinkers, that it almost makes a mockery of any true mpg figures.

It was only last week some one posted some rediculous figures of 50 mpg while towing.

I really hope there would be some real world figures, and not some made up one's by people who just want to boast how many mpg, and more, that their car can get.

2005 Land Cruiser 3. 0L D4-d Automatic weighing 2350kg

Twin axle caravan weighing 1700kg

60 mph on cruise control, on a solo run gives me 30 mpg

Around town, into Asda and Tesco etc, then 25 mpg

55 mph on cruise control on a towing run gives me 21 mpg

Graham

Edited by Champ

Hi David,

Thats just what I was thinking.

To be honest, I have seen so many astonomical towing figures, from wishfull thinkers, that it almost makes a mockery of any true mpg figures.

It was only last week some one posted some rediculous figures of 50 mpg while towing.

I really hope there would be some real world figures, and not some made up one's by people who just want to boast how many mpg, and more, that their car can get.

2005 Land Cruiser 3. 0L D4-d Automatic weighing 2350kg

Twin axle caravan weighing 1700kg

60 mph on cruise control, on a solo run gives me 30 mpg

Around town, into Asda and Tesco etc, then 25 mpg

55 mph on cruise control on a towing run gives me 21 mpg

Graham

That sounds about right, my old 2004 Landcruiser 3. 0 D4D auto averaged 28. 5mpg for the 50k miles that I owned it & these were full tank to full tank calculations on a spreadsheet.

75% motorway driving 25% town. Didn't have a towbar on it so no tug figures.

I think that I have posted this before

My 2003 X-Trail diesel (early model ) has for at least 5 years turned in 36 MPG on local runs

On French and Spanish motorways at 80 MPH it has been 40 MPG and I have also had

40 MPG local on holiday in France ( no multi-storey car parks ) solo runs.

This year I did 25 MPG from Calais with my Lunar Clubman 475 on the back

It WAS fully loaded and I ran in 5 th gear at around 2400 revs

Driving conditions have a great effect on mpg as well. Last Saturday I towed from Peterborough to the C&CC Hertford, about 70 miles. The computer readout said 26. 4mpg, yesterday I did the journey in reverse and got 33. 4mpg. I wasn't on a mission so drove at around 55mph both ways. Herts must be uphill from here (it could have been a headwind :) yesterday was a still day).

I generally get in the low 50's mpg on long journeys solo and the high 40's around town. But last month I drove from home to Vidauban in Prevance, took it easy the whole way, about 60mph stopping overnight at Riems and got 61. 4mpg. On the return journey I drove straight through and got 60. 3mpg. That's the first time I have seen figures as high as that, best I have had before is 56mpg, I put it down to the new set of Michelin Eco tyres, looks as if they help towing as well, because the 33. 4 is the best so far, I usually average about 30 towing.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Driving conditions have a great effect on mpg as well. Last Saturday I towed from Peterborough to the C&CC Hertford, about 70 miles. The computer readout said 26. 4mpg, yesterday I did the journey in reverse and got 33. 4mpg. I wasn't on a mission so drove at around 55mph both ways. Herts must be uphill from here (it could have been a headwind :) yesterday was a still day).

I generally get in the low 50's mpg on long journeys solo and the high 40's around town. But last month I drove from home to Vidauban in Prevance, took it easy the whole way, about 60mph stopping overnight at Riems and got 61. 4mpg. On the return journey I drove straight through and got 60. 3mpg. That's the first time I have seen figures as high as that, best I have had before is 56mpg, I put it down to the new set of Michelin Eco tyres, looks as if they help towing as well, because the 33. 4 is the best so far, I usually average about 30 towing.

Excuse me asking but are these computer readout figures or full tank to full tank figures calculated on a spreadsheet?

The reason I ask is that dashboard readouts can be notoriously inaccurate.

Please see this post from another forum:-

"I have a 2. 0 6 speed Mondeo TDCi 130 on a 55 plate. 30,000 miles on clock.

Urban I get 37. 5, mixed around 45 mpg. Best was pure motorway at 50 mpg. These are actuals, ie brim the tank record the milage and re-brim the tank. The computer display always reads higher than actuals but not with a consistant error. Varies form +9% to +55%"

Edited by springtime