New Rules On Cancellations

I see in the latest CC magazine that they are going to adhere closely to the cancellations must be made 72 hours in advance. If you cancel less than 72 hours three times in a year they are going to cancel all your future bookings and you will not be able to book anything else for fourteen days.

About time I say.

sounds fair to me, unless something serious happens then i think you should be liable for at least 50% of the fee for the duration of the booking, so far i've only booked two stays but when we booked up in cambridge we got all our days but the web site then said no vacancies on the 2nd day but there were loads of spaces onsite people not turning up i guess. .. spoils it for everyone

. .but again they have not gone far enough!

Person I know is part of a large group and they all book around twice as many trips as their experience says they will use. They all cancel well in advance so are off the radar but they prevent someone getting the location of their choice when booking earlier in the year.

With an electronic booking system they have the power to red card this sort of activity (I haven't got the guts to suggest going back to deposits. :unsure: )

wow a full 14 days! sure that will put them off. £5 deposit refundable if you cancel before 72 hours would have been better.

Not sure it would as years ago the CC did have a deposit system where you paid £10 for each site booked. The concensus was that it created more no shows as people did bother to let sites know they would not be arriving.

I think what the Club are proposing is a sensible solution and I suspect they would have to be really convinced that other options, like deposits, would be any better and also not cause more administrative work.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

. .but again they have not gone far enough!

With an electronic booking system they have the power to red card this sort of activity (I haven't got the guts to suggest going back to deposits. :unsure: )

If it's your opinion that deposits are a good way forward say so don't let the naysayers shout you down, just because they shout doesn't mean they're right (as putting forward your suggestion doesn't mean you are) but this is a forum and it doesn't really matter how many times it's been discussed before there are always new people joining CT who might like to have their say if it's old hat to others they don't have to comment.

The sections below are parts from an email I had earlier in the year from the CC so maybe this is just the start of things to come ?

"However, the Director General has instructed staff to seek solutions to a range of booking issues and so we are currently planning a complete review of the processes and arrangements for 2012 which will take your views, and those of many others, into account."

" With regards to your comments about members booking up pitches and then cancelling, I can tell you that staff are monitoring this abuse and, where appropriate, will suspend members who seem to be continually doing this"

In Context the second part has nothing to do with short notice cancelling ones but people who book up many sites in December and then cancel closer to the time as they decide they don't want to go. .

Edited by dave11a

I see in the latest CC magazine that they are going to adhere closely to the cancellations must be made 72 hours in advance. If you cancel less than 72 hours three times in a year they are going to cancel all your future bookings and you will not be able to book anything else for fourteen days.

About time I say.

What does this do to remedy the problem of those who don't bother to cancel and still don't turn up. That is the reason for many of the empty pitches

(and I promised myself ages ago that I wouldn't enter into this debate again!)

I thought the club had stated several months ago that if a member had three no shows without cancelling they were out the club!

The warden at Treamble valley confirmed this too me in July of this year.

Dave

If they did the rules have changed for future bookings.

wow a full 14 days! sure that will put them off. £5 deposit refundable if you cancel before 72 hours would have been better.

I am not planning to enter into the deposit argument but I think that the fact that all their current bookings are cancelled and they cannot rebook for 14 days so the slots will not be available is far more of a deterrent than £5 loss.

Its not the 14 days that is the deterrent but the fact that you loose all current bookings and the slots will be gone by the time you can book again.

There is nothing to stop someone going online on the first day and booking all 52 weekends, maybe they can make that weekend, maybe they cant. but a financal loss would stop people booking just because they can. Not to much, and its refundable if cancelled and its a deterrent.

Does the 3 strikes and your out end after a set time, say 1 season, does a booking of a 2 weeks count the same as 1 day.

Edited by madatter

About as effective as a chocolate fire guard. Those inclined will still book place after place as soon as they become available and then cancel in advance of the 72 hours. The rest of us can go to hell as far as they are concerned and 72 hours notice of a pitch being available is of no use to those like my daughter who has to arrange her life weeks in advance or my wife who has to give 6 months or more notice of leave.

As for a whole 14 days suspension It will be as effective as A. S. B. O.'s and we all know how well they work. To say nothing of the cost of Policing such a complicated system. The Camping and Caravan Club do not have this problem. They charge a substantial deposit it's not Rocket Science.

Edited by Alan Stanley

I cancelled my week's booking for Edinburgh last Thursday - only 2 days before arrival. The reason - I was involved in an RTA and our car is a write off. No chance of using the pitch, as the Fiat 500 courtesy car just didn't have enough 'umpf' to pull the van!

Sometimes circumstances muck up the best of plans. I agree though that the club must crack down on persistent no shows.

The Camping and Caravan Club do not have this problem. They charge a substantial deposit it's not Rocket Science.

The CCC also have a lot more empty pitches all of the time, so it would seem that the CC business plan is more successful. The problem is one of supply and demand the only way to cure it is to either increase the supply or reduce the demand, would a doubling of the nightly fee suit you, or how about making all weekends into high season and increasing the price fir weekends by diubling the fees. These things would free pitches for those if us fortunate enough to have no money worries, but then again that would be a case of I'm all right Jack an attitude that I for one deplore.

Bill

The CCC also have a lot more empty pitches all of the time, so it would seem that the CC business plan is more successful.

You may well be right but the booking system might not necessarily be responsible for all of that.

As I said earlier, now that the season is over, the CC could get from its dbase the names and addresses of every person whose bookings exceeded their take up by a certain percentage and write a warning letter showing action will be taken next year. This would, of course, exclude unfortunate occasions such as Janet's above.

Edited by SamD

the cc are In the business off letting caravan pitchers, they are not In the business off excluding people and turning away their money. that's why they don't have the wilpower to sort this out. do you know anybody who as had a warning?

The sections below are parts from an email I had earlier in the year from the CC so maybe this is just the start of things to come ?

"However, the Director General has instructed staff to seek solutions to a range of booking issues and so we are currently planning a complete review of the processes and arrangements for 2012 which will take your views, and those of many others, into account."

" With regards to your comments about members booking up pitches and then cancelling, I can tell you that staff are monitoring this abuse and, where appropriate, will suspend members who seem to be continually doing this"

In Context the second part has nothing to do with short notice cancelling ones but people who book up many sites in December and then cancel closer to the time as they decide they don't want to go. .

the cc are In the business off letting caravan pitchers, they are not In the business off excluding people and turning away their money. that's why they don't have the wilpower to sort this out. do you know anybody who as had a warning?

As I said a the start of my post is this the beginning of things to come ?

I have solved the problem of all of this in my case - by resigning from the CC.

Fed up with the whole issue of their sites availability - particularly people being able to book up every Fri & Sat night for the whole year on the on-line booking system if they want and then cancel at short notice if they dont want to go that weekend. This prevents many other from booking a "proper holiday" over 5-7 days which includes a w/e. I have suggested they have either a maximum number of open bookings per person or to limit how far in advance you can book to stop the mad rush in Dec each year.

I put these reasons in my letter of resignation. Still staying a member of the C&CC who have much better availability with the deposit system and far better prices especially with their "age concession" for low and mid seasons.

Whilst there has to be a "system", I feel that the CC is very generous in allowing people to cancel up to 72hrs prior to arrival, as you wouldn't get that with other businesses, eg hotels/static holiday parks. They wouldn't have allowed a cancellation at such a late stage and would have expected full payment, which you could then claim back through your UK travel insurance, if the cancellation was due to an insurable event. The CC is, after all, a business and wants as many pitches let as possible.

We have spent approx 70 nights away this year, mostly on CC sites, all booked on-line, and no cancellations made - maybe we've been fortunate, but I'd never block book a few dates when only intending to turn up once! If there are people out there that do this you should be ashamed of yourselves!

As was said on another site, "book every weekend going, and then cancel on Tuesday, instead of Thursday, and no action taken".

Chocolate poker solution indeed. Methinks the CC have adopted a rather gutless approach.

Jim.

As was said on another site, "book every weekend going, and then cancel on Tuesday, instead of Thursday, and no action taken".

Chocolate poker solution indeed. Methinks the CC have adopted a rather gutless approach.

Jim.

The easiest option would be to go for the equality of misery approach where the majority suffer because a few misuse the system. I much prefer the equality of opportunity approach which I believe the CC are trying to put in place. There is one aspect of the 'new' rules which I am not so happy with but I think it would be better for me to start a new thread as its slightly different aspect of the same subject.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels