New Caravan Deal Not What Was Agreed

azzy

Hi everyone,

Need some advice here if anyone could help. Did a deal for a new caravan with a part ex a couple of weeks ago. I got a verbal deal for a p ex on my van which both myself and my wife were happy with. I got and signed a sheet there and then which basically had on it my deposit and a balance to change and not a lot more. I have now received a invoice in the post and it did not stack up. Basically the part ex is £150. 00 short of what I was verbally offered. I have spoke to the salesman who admits the part ex is £150. 00 short of what he offered but I signed. I have a large deposit sat there and he offered me a good price for my van without seeing it I just feel hard done to as this is something I would never do to anyone a deal you shake on is a deal in my mind. I am worried if I complain past this guy they will try to pick holes in my van when I take it to swap for my new one. What should I do?

Check that he hasn't reduced the price of the new van by £150 to compensate. When we agreed our p/ex, it didn't quite appear on paper what we had agreed, but the "cost to change" was the same, so we were happy - the salesman did explain that the figures would be different though and the end result was as agreed. Same thing seems to happen when we change the car. It's all to do with balancing their books and profit margins on "new"/"used" vans.

If there's clearly a discrepancy I would go back and challenge him again saying you're not happy as it wasn't what you agreed and you signed in good faith. He's already admitted that it's different to the verbal offer and he should have told you this before you signed.

Walk away unless either:-

He honours the original deal. .. which he seems to recognise. . or. .

£150 is less important to you than the new shiny 'van.

Anyway. . unless they've seen the 'van and damp tested it there is still wriggle room which they WILL take advantage of!

Just MHO.

G.

Is is possible to accept the lower figure losing £150 and do a deal for equipment up to this amount?

I completely refuse to deal with people who do underhand tricks like this. I think you'll always regret it later. If it were me I'd be getting my deposit back and walking away. Never to return.

If he's prepared to rip you off before you've got the caravan, what makes you think he'll be doing a proper PDI? Or will be in your corner if there are any marginal warranty claims to make with the manufacturer. Dodgy practices very rarely are restricted to one person in a company.

Have you asked for an explanation of this change in price?

If there is no reasonable explanation offered I would feel that, like 'Tigger' above, you would be best advised to think long and hard about the ethos of the company and consider walking away. If on the other hand, you like the van and are prepared to go ahead with the deal then, as others have suggested, ask for some accessories to be included to make up the difference in price.

I got and signed a sheet there and then which basically had on it my deposit and a balance to change and not a lot more. I have now received a invoice in the post and it did not stack up. Basically the part ex is £150. 00 short of what I was verbally offered.

As has already been mentioned - has the "cost to change" altered between signing the deposit document and receiving the invoice? If not, no problem, in my view.

Certainly in car terms I have in the past agreed a nominal px price against a car purchase and when the formal paperwork is produced the px price shown is lower, but the car has been discounted a proportionate amount, in effect making the cost to change the same. The dealer gains by a lower VAT output on the whole transaction. ..which improves their margins but with no adverse impact on me.

From the content posted so far, I am unsure of the answers to the above.

If I look at the deal I did at the NEC the details on the order form don't look the same as was agreed but the cost to change is the same. Don't actually care!

Whenever we change the cost price of the caravan is always written down and so is the trade in price of the par ex so that it reduces the VAT I believe

The balance stays the same

Could you be in the same situation ?

Dealer here. Basically as others have stated above the important factor is the 'cost to change'. If this is the same then you have nothing to worry about. If that has changed and you are getting a lower px value and without the dealer having checked your van then demand your deposit back. The only time we alter px figures is if we find problems with the van. All px deals are subject to viewing but it works both ways. If a dealer offers you a px value as you stated the van is immaculate then the figures will hold. If you know of any defects you might as well be honest as they will be found in any inspection.

Whenever we change the cost price of the caravan is always written down and so is the trade in price of the par ex so that it reduces the VAT I believe

The balance stays the same

Could you be in the same situation ?

I agree with John, if the balance to change has not altered, then all they have done is adjust the figures which is totally acceptable, but it would have been nice for them to explain that that was what they were going to do.

So why don't dealers offer the new van and px van at the price they intend to deal at in the first place if it all makes no difference ??

Hi Azzy, when i did my part exchange with a small dealer in Notts i asked the question of how they could offer a price without seeing my van and they were straight up front with telling me that they would take my word that it was as i described,but should something be not as i had told them they would have to re adjust the offer and to me this was fair play. When i took it in they had a quick look round and then confirmed the offer stood, job done very satisfied.

Happy caravaning

Trevsmate

P. S

Dont forget to support mens health (Prostate Cancer) and check out the Movember web site for the month of November. Go on grow a moustache for fun and raise awareness. ..

Hi Azzy, when i did my part exchange with a small dealer in Notts i asked the question of how they could offer a price without seeing my van and they were straight up front with telling me that they would take my word that it was as i described,but should something be not as i had told them they would have to re adjust the offer and to me this was fair play. When i took it in they had a quick look round and then confirmed the offer stood, job done very satisfied.

Happy caravaning

Trevsmate

Yep, exactly my experience. But, they did say that their offer was based on viewing my van first.

So why don't dealers offer the new van and px van at the price they intend to deal at in the first place if it all makes no difference ??

Basically we use the glass' guide which gives us dealer trade and dealer retail prices. If we give you an extra 1500 on a px we then have a van in stock which is pretty much close to what we should sell it for. This will mean we have to put the van up for far more than it should be resulting in customers exclaiming "Blimey! Thats a bit expensive for the year of that van!". The write down method means we bring the px in at the correct value, allowing us to sell the PX at its correct value. The cost to change remains the same as we then reduce the cost of the new caravan to suit.

Hope that helps!

If you're paying cash then pay him £150 less for the new van & tell him thats what you agreed.

Bit different but when we bought our grand voyager they tried to charge us for 6 months road tax when it turned out the car already had 8 months tax. He said to me that was the price i had agreed, so i told him to go forth & multiply in no uncertain terms. He backed down & took the money off. Meant he had to re-do all the figures for the car, but why should i pay twice to tax a car?

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

It is all about reducing their VAT liability and the way the caravan/cars value is shown on their books.

It is all about reducing their VAT liability and the way the caravan/cars value is shown on their books.

I've seen this happen before but if you've not or are complete newbie to caravanning then it raises suspicions of dirty dealings (whether they are or not) if this was explained upfront then it would allay any suspicions you were being ripped off.

I know it may stick in your craw but after what happened to us I would take the loss of the £150 if he just takes it in without looking around it.

We changed our caravan last year from a very reputable dealer who offered us only a couple of hundred pounds less than we paid for it after 3 years of ownership, pending a check when we took it in. He went all around inside doing a damp check and found damp in the front corner quite major (I had no idea it was there). He knocked £1400 of the offer price he already offered us.

Agri

Archived