Winter Drain Down

springtime

I drained the system down on the weekend and left the drain tap and the taps open.

I've just closed the drain tap, put the taps open on cold and attached my airline to the pump inlet.

It's surprising how much water was blown out :unsure:

Tilting the van during draining is a good idea. Draining while mobile is another way of ensuring a dry van.

Don't forget the toilet rinse.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I drained the system down on the weekend and left the drain tap and the taps open.

I've just closed the drain tap, put the taps open on cold and attached my airline to the pump inlet.

It's surprising how much water was blown out :unsure:

How did you create a seal with the air hose

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

Changed the nozzle over to the air blasting one.

I have an old blue water pipe that has a push fit flexible tap connection which pulls off.

As it happens the narrower end of this fits neatly into the van connector.

I daresay you could use a piece if hose and wrap masking tape around it to make an interference fit.

pushed the air hose blower attachment into the flexible tap end and clamped my hand around it while I blasted air through the system.

Five or six goes of this cleared the water out.

Edited by springtime

If you allow gravity to drain as much water as possible and then leave all the taps and the drain cock open will there still be a risk? I'm thinking that as any residual water expands it will push along the pipes and out of open taps rather than be trapped and burst/damage the pipework and fittings.

It seems to me that there may be a risk of this airline method doing damage with too much pressure and loosening or blowing off connections

The taps were open when using the airline so there is no risk of pressure building up - excess water is pushed through the system and the air then helps dry the pipes inside probably helping to prevent the build up of algae.

The taps were open when using the airline so there is no risk of pressure building up - excess water is pushed through the system and the air then helps dry the pipes inside probably helping to prevent the build up of algae.

Understood - makes sense!

i see that Waudbys are selling the custom made Floe systems, which do the same job, at £42/46 and state not to use more than 15 PSI pressure.

i see that Waudbys are selling the custom made Floe systems, which do the same job, at £42/46 and state not to use more than 15 PSI pressure.

Understand that if its a sealed system and they probably have to take into account that some users may not open the taps when using their system.

15psi is probably somewhere near the equivalent of what the water pump may produce.

Using a Heath Robinson setup as I have which leaks pressure & with the taps open should cause no problems and its a lot cheaper than £42 :)

Using a Heath Robinson setup as I have which leaks pressure & with the taps open should cause no problems and its a lot cheaper than £42 :)

assume you will be taking a patent out :)

I drain down whilst mobile as well and have never had a problem in the years of touring. Have been guilty of forgetting the Loo flush in the past. Does the Loo flush not have a lower freezing point as a chemical ? I Winter Tour and can't remember ever once having a problem with the Loo Flush freezing up even after a long cold snap -16 at times when not using the van.

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. .......... :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ......Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . ..........

• 2 weeks later...

Dont forget if you have an internal water pump the levers have to be left in the drainage postion, it is surprising how many peolpe forget and have to buy a new pump.

regards

Doug

2016 Ssangyong Rexton EX 2. 2 auto & 2018 Bailey series 4 Pampalona.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

I use a 12v tyre pump with a tyre valve on it, with the gubbins taken out so the round end of the valve is used to make a seal on the water inlet this also has the advantage that on my van I am standing near the water drain so I can see when it's all done takes about 4mins

kot

pigs

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if I could use the hand pump I use for inflating airbeds etc. This comes with various size connectors and would give a good flow of air (about a Lt per stroke) without any chance of the pressure getting anywhere near 15psi

Toyota Landcruiser and Fleetwood Heritage 640 ES(T)