North Pole Anyone Done The Trip

Hello all, Myself and a couple of mates are thinking about heading up to the Northpole, has anyone been ? Any tips on campsites would be good.

I think if you are hoping for sensible answers here (rather than of the Santa's Grotto variety) then you need to be rather clearer as to where you are really talking about, eg Arctic Circle Norway etc. ..

haven't i read somewhere that the roads in northern sweden/norway are not suitable for caravans?

I've read of people going a very long way north well into the Arctic Circle to view the Northern Lights - Order of the Blue Nosed Caravanner and all that - but of course not the north pole,

Coachman Amara 380/2

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

:lol: Wonder how that would effect your warranty ? . ............... -50 degress .

I dont think any British caravan would operate in those sort temperatures .

Can t you only get to the North pole when the Artic freezes as its in the sea?

Dave

Many years ago (much younger) we traveled to the North cape with our motorcycle club. I do remember there being caravans on the road. The North cape itself, The place where there is nothing between you and the North pole is closed to private vehicles through the winter months but it is possible to get there by bus.(not sure of the dates) During the summer months one can swim without too much discomfort. I cannot help with camping sites as we stayed in hostel type accommodation. It will be a good and memorable trip if you decide to go.

PS do not forget to get your visitors certificate at the cape.

When we lived in Denmark (1984) we went up to the Arctic Circle camping. Travelled over to Sweden by ferry (you can go by road bridge now) and then up the East coast of Sweden to Jokkmok. There are lots of motorhomes and caravans that go up to Nord Cap (North Cape).

We came back down through the middle of Sweden and it was the most boring trip we have ever done, pine forest, river, lake, pine forest etc etc.

Wished (with hindsight) we had crossed over into Norway and come back down that way.

Have been up to Nord Cap and Hammerfest etc with Grey Funnel Line (RN) and it was pretty bleak and loads of Iron Ore slag heaps.

But each to their own :)