Creaking Noises When Towing

slimseydy

When towing my new van I have noticed I get a lot of creaking noises . especially when I pull up to go round a roundabout or while moving slowly when entering exiting a site . my lunar never made a sound when running and in all honesty I am not happy with my new Bailey . Had a fair few faults in 4 months of ownership. Get the impression it's the Friday afternoon van. anyone know of what I can do to make it run like as quietly as a lunar caravan.

Are you sure that it's not you :D

I find that i creak a bit first thing in the morning :D :D

No I amwell oiled machine . swmbo won't agree though

I would look at the hitch - are the pads totally clean and the tow ball free from paint rust & grease?

When towing my new van I have noticed I get a lot of creaking noises . especially when I pull up to go round a roundabout or while moving slowly when entering exiting a site . my lunar never made a sound when running and in all honesty I am not happy with my new Bailey . Had a fair few faults in 4 months of ownership. Get the impression it's the Friday afternoon van. anyone know of what I can do to make it run like as quietly as a lunar caravan.

I'm getting the same thing with a Valencia, not sure what it is, so i'm leaving it till the service next February, I've done caravaning until next April.

I do know its not the tow bar, and i have cleaned the pads on the hitch, but as you say towing at slow speed on site with the window down its squeaking away, even with the hitch lever lifted up, and I've checked the hitch head is well greased.

Check the bolts on the tow hitch and all of the linkage points on the brake rods to ensure that they are lubricated.

Also the long brake rod can rest on a retainer (metal to metal) as it goes further under the van - a little grease on this would not go a miss.

Hitch is fine as I never had a noise from the lunar . have noticed this with a lot of pageants and senators lately when they have been driving past my pitch so I know this is not an isolated incident with just me .

They must all come with a free mouse and a frog then :D

It will almost certainly be the infernal tow hitch and the friction pads.

The creaking noises made by these is such a common cause of concern for members of CT where some of them even remove the friction pads and clean them every single time they tow their van (even for a short journey) !!

You don't seem to hear of this kind of thing happening with the Winterhoff hitches, unless of course I am wrong?

As for your Bailey being built on a Friday afternoon Slimseydy, yours is not the only one. ...............

I'm getting the same thing with a Valencia, not sure what it is, so i'm leaving it till the service next February, I've done caravaning until next April.

I do know its not the tow bar, and i have cleaned the pads on the hitch, but as you say towing at slow speed on site with the window down its squeaking away, even with the hitch lever lifted up, and I've checked the hitch head is well greased.

This is generally caused by a dirty towball contaminating the ALKO friction pads. The ball and pads can be cleaned using using an alcohol based cleaner and if necessary careful use of some emery paper. If that doesn't fix it you may have to replace the friction pads.

To prevent it happening in the future always clean the tow ball and pads before hitching up.

Al,

The creaking noises made by these is such a common cause of concern for members of CT where some of them even remove the friction pads and clean them every single time they tow their van (even for a short journey) !!

You don't seem to hear of this kind of thing happening with the Winterhoff hitches, unless of course I am wrong?

As for your Bailey being built on a Friday afternoon Slimseydy, yours is not the only one. ...............

Yes Winterhoff do suffer with it, especially with new pads

You don't need to remove the pads to clean them. I generally do it every time I hitch up it takes all of 2 mins to clean both the tow ball and pads!

Al,

Hitch is fine as I never had a noise from the lunar . have noticed this with a lot of pageants and senators lately when they have been driving past my pitch so I know this is not an isolated incident with just me .

I only had the problem with the Abbey never with my Bailey. It is the hitch, whether or not the heavier noseweight of Baileys means that it is more likely to happen. I also noticed on the abbey that the ambient temperature also had an effect in that we noticed it more as we drove further south in France and noticed it less as we drove north on the way back.

Al,

What do you clean them with ?

Brake cleaner. ..

Cheers will pop to halfords today . hopefully the rain will stop in Swansea and I can give it a clean before the trek back to Liverpool in the morning. Road outside gowerton cc site was closed last night due to flood water . Someone had to be rescued by coast guard and boat last night 50 yards from entrance. wife getting worried . thinks we will be stranded here

This is generally caused by a dirty towball contaminating the ALKO friction pads. The ball and pads can be cleaned using using an alcohol based cleaner and if necessary careful use of some emery paper. If that doesn't fix it you may have to replace the friction pads.

To prevent it happening in the future always clean the tow ball and pads before hitching up.

Al,

The ball is always clean, i towed the senator from 2004 with out ever having a hitch squeak, and i'm using the same ball.

One of the pads on the Valencia was contaminated with grease at the PDI, but I've since sprayed and cleaned this twice with brake cleaner.(from tool station)

And as I've said it still groans with the hitch lever lifted, so i'm not convinced its the hitch head.

Maybe the rubber suspension or dampers?

I get this noise at slow speed with my Bailey Pageant S6 sometimes. I clean the towball with brake cleaner and have just removed the Al-Ko pads and given them a rub over with fine emery paper. Wont know whether it has cured it until nex season now!

It only really appears in hot weather on the Continent - so it may be something to do with the temp slightly expanding towball or hitch in some way.

The ball is always clean, i towed the senator from 2004 with out ever having a hitch squeak, and i'm using the same ball.

One of the pads on the Valencia was contaminated with grease at the PDI, but I've since sprayed and cleaned this twice with brake cleaner.(from tool station)

And as I've said it still groans with the hitch lever lifted, so i'm not convinced its the hitch head.

Maybe the rubber suspension or dampers?

Mmm its difficult to tell. Although even with the the Hitch raised two of the pads will still be rubbing on the towball, it is worth noting that in some cases once the pad/s are contaminated you can't get rid of the contaminate and they have to be replaced. Does it groan if you rock the van which I am guessing it would if it was the Suspension or Dampers?

Al,

Mmm its difficult to tell. Although even with the the Hitch raised two of the pads will still be rubbing on the towball, it is worth noting that in some cases once the pad/s are contaminated you can't get rid of the contaminate and they have to be replaced. Does it groan if you rock the van which I am guessing it would if it was the Suspension or Dampers?

Al,

Exactly my thoughts we had a Bailey Vermont and after it had been moved at a short term storage site by the owner the pads had grease on them I cleaned them to get it home then stripped the pads out and thoroughly cleaned them up. First trip out it groaned and it never had before, I tried several times cleaning them again and the ball but it was still the same I then replaced the pads and never had a problem at all after.

Mine tends to creak on an outward jouney when the van has not been out for a while. It soon stops and on a return trip it is silent. It maybe a result of damp on the ball forming small bits of rust. I do keep a cover on the ball but it is not shiny and new looking.

I wonder how vans are handled when in for service. Do they clean the pads for you? (I must ask) and do they clean the towball of the workshop tug between caravans? We don't all use dry hitches!

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Never had it happen with a Winterhoff in three years of towing.

AlKo hitch started to grunt after the first 50 miles.

I checked that, as far as I could tell, that the Alko Head was not

Over Working due to incorrect noseweight or badly loaded caravan

I removed and cleaned the friction pads by washing them in Isopropyl

Alcohol (because I had some) what came off in the solvent was dust

which clogs the fibres of the pads. The new Alko tow ball which had been

cleaned of its protective coating and polished with a green scourer had

fore and aft deposits on it, which were polished off with scourer and solvent.

All this resulted in a noiseless couple of trips. On the third outing, it waited

until I was driving slowly around the site to our pitch and started grunting,

The ball was clean and squirting solvent onto the pads showed little

accumulation of dust. On leaving the site I wiped the ball over with a damp

cloth as a token clean hitched up and to my surprise it stayed quiet all the

way home, I have noticed that on nice dry days it can still make a noise but

days of high humidity it is fine

is it not the plastic on the A frame making the creaking noises, that what mine is on my abbey vogue, packed it with foam problem solved, hpoe its as simple for yuorself

Exactly my thoughts we had a Bailey Vermont and after it had been moved at a short term storage site by the owner the pads had grease on them I cleaned them to get it home then stripped the pads out and thoroughly cleaned them up. First trip out it groaned and it never had before, I tried several times cleaning them again and the ball but it was still the same I then replaced the pads and never had a problem at all after.

You could be right, I've been meaning to try my test ball/lever on the hitch but never got round to it, as the caravans parked tight to a shed hitch first i can't get to it with out a lot a hassle.

If it is the pads then the dealer can replace them, they got grease on them to start with.

Thanks for the feed back. :rolleyes:

Archived