Manoeuvring A Twin Axle

HDom

After our old Avondale Dart,that was so easy to move with the motor movers the new van ( twin axle) is a real pain! I have to drive straight onto my drive with the van,then rotate the van 180 degrees and park it . This is because I have to drive strait out onto a busy road when next out with the van.

Looking to find an easy solution to the problem I tried putting skates under the rear wheels( the type that slide in front and behind the wheel then by pressing a pedal lift the wheel just of the ground and have four castering wheels) and lowered the nosewheel the van rotated effortlessly,this saved a lot of time and battery power. This will only work if the surface is fairly smooth but takes a lot of strain off the axles,will post a vid up when I have sorted it out :-)

In my storage I need to pull the van forward and rotate it 90 degrees within 1/2 the length of the van and it is on concrete so it does not slide easly as the tyres just grip the concrete.

I find if I put a bit of sand down the van slides a lot better and I can move it without a problem. Another method is to put a heavy duty plastic bag under the wheels and it helps the van slide on the bags.

At first I thought I had bought the wrong mover but could justify 2 grand on a mover that I only occasionally and for a short period of time.

On grass and gravel is not a problem, but Tarmac and concrete is a problem because of the grip of the booming wheels. A bit of sans does wonders.

Hope this helps you.

An alternative is to extend the jockey wheel stem as far as reasonably possible, taking weight off of the front axle, and I am told, makes the caravan easier to turn by hand.

Fortunately I had space at home and on site so was always able to manoeuvre our many twin axles with the towcar.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

ii would be very interested in this video as i have the same issues, where did you get the wheels from .

mike

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

Our last van was a Coachman Amara 580/4 which was a Twin, we struggled to move it around, until we took it in for it's first service and the dealer advised demonstrated how to move it. They wound the jockey wheel as high as possible, which lifted the front set of wheels nearly off the ground, which reduced the "scuffing" when turned. When we had a motormover fitted, we couldn't do this as the mover was fitted to the front set of wheels, and you could see the tyres rolling in the rim, the van then had to be moved in the opposite direction to "Un-scuff" the tyres. We now have a single axle.

An alternative is to extend the jockey wheel stem as far as reasonably possible, taking weight off of the front axle, and I am told, makes the caravan easier to turn by hand.

Gordon.

Beat me to it Gordon you must have written it sametime I was writing mine :)

Bigger car does the job with a 4 wheel caravan.

I think you just need some more push power.

The tyres dont like it, but any way. scrub they will.

Graham

Movers fitted to front wheels so jockey wheel low as possible-still not good

Lifmaster wheel skate from E BAY 99. 00 delivered :-) the pair

Biggest problem is the van has to be rotated 180 deg. on its own axis as the drive is only as wide as the van

Here a picture of the skate, They fit either side of the wheel and then rachet together to lift the wheel up,

6285507136_810c8a121f_z.jpg

I will take a video the next time I out.

Here a picture of the skate, They fit either side of the wheel and then rachet together to lift the wheel up, I will take a video the next time I out.
Only using two skates means the whole weight of the caravan is on one axle which is twice the load the axle and tyres are designed for and could damage the suspension and tyres . A twin axle is designed to share the load on all 4 wheels .

It would be better to use 4 skates to share the load over the 4 wheels . .

Dave

After our old Avondale Dart,that was so easy to move with the motor movers the new van ( twin axle) is a real pain! I have to drive straight onto my drive with the van,then rotate the van 180 degrees and park it . This is because I have to drive strait out onto a busy road when next out with the van.

Looking to find an easy solution to the problem I tried putting skates under the rear wheels( the type that slide in front and behind the wheel then by pressing a pedal lift the wheel just of the ground and have four castering wheels) and lowered the nosewheel the van rotated effortlessly,this saved a lot of time and battery power. This will only work if the surface is fairly smooth but takes a lot of strain off the axles,will post a vid up when I have sorted it out :-)

I have looked at one of these for my drive .

http://www. driveawaymat. co. uk/4. html

Dave

Only using two skates means the whole weight of the caravan is on one axle which is twice the load the axle and tyres are designed for and could damage the suspension and tyres . A twin axle is designed to share the load on all 4 wheels .

It would be better to use 4 skates to share the load over the 4 wheels . .

Dave

The weight is still distributed on the two axles. The skates only lift the wheel clear of the ground, they still take the weight of the wheel & axle.

Using skates on a single axle caravan may allow people to keep the van at home when they thought they didn't have the room, as they allow a van to be pushed sideways. In fact they could be the "ultimate" in security. ... slide the caravan into a space where it can't be towed out of and remove the skates. ..! I guess you could also do the same with a twin axle and four skates but it will get a bit heavy pushing it!

These skates are common in the aviation industry for allowing single and twin engine aircraft to be packed efficiently into hangers. I have used them (skates) for years on aircraft without any issues.

FT

Flying tog you beat me to it:-) with the skates in place the van behaves the same as a single axle,i did not like the forces put into the axles/suspension when turning with the motor movers

The weight is still distributed on the two axles. The skates only lift the wheel clear of the ground, they still take the weight of the wheel & axle.

. FT

Not on a Twin axle and a single axle pivots with no problem .

A twin axle caravan weighing 2000 kg designed with 2 axles with a maximum loading of 1000 kg and 4 tyres with a maximum loading of 500 kgs each . Lifting it by 2 tyres on 1 axle is putting 2000kg on a 1000 kg maximum load axle and tyres .

Dave

Not on a Twin axle and a single axle pivots with no problem .

A twin axle caravan weighing 2000 kg designed with 2 axles with a maximum loading of 1000 kg and 4 tyres with a maximum loading of 500 kgs each . Lifting it by 2 tyres on 1 axle is putting 2000kg on a 1000 kg maximum load axle and tyres .

Dave

Think about it. .....the weight is still on all four tyres, its just that one set of tyres is resting on the dollies not on the ground. They only pick up the wheel by an inch or so. You are not putting all the weight on to one axle.

Yes single axle vans can pivot. ... but you can't push one sideways.

FT

The alternative is a fit a front mounted tow hitch. Watling towbars are the people

Think about it. .....the weight is still on all four tyres, its just that one set of tyres is resting on the dollies not on the ground.

FT

Exactly my point one set of tyres which means the whole weight is on those tyres which are designed to take a quarter of the caravans weight and axle that is designed to take half the weight .

Dave

Exactly my point one set of tyres which means the whole weight is on those tyres which are designed to take a quarter of the caravans weight and axle that is designed to take half the weight .

Dave

OK. .. you are into traction engines. Put a set of dollies under the front wheels of the traction engine. Are you now saying the whole weight of the traction engine is resting on the rear wheels?

I think the answer to the above is no. Its exactly the same for a caravan, just because the wheels/axles are close together doesn't change the laws of physics. If you put one set of wheels on a dolly or skate, there is still weight on them and there is still weight on the other axle.

Now the wheels that are on the dollies. .. if you lifted them so high the other wheels come off the ground, then all the weight is on one axle, but as you are only lifting them an inch off the ground at most, the other wheels remain in contact with the ground as the suspension on the lifted axle compresses a little.

If this were not the case, every time a twin axle van went over a speed hump or lump in the road, each axle would get overloaded in turn.

Its impossible to swivel a twin axle with a motor mover as a twin axle motor mover works completely different to a single axle motor mover .

On a single axle motor mover the turning is created by the motors running in opposite directions making one wheel turn backwards as the opposite runs forward . On a twin axle both motors run in the same direction but one motor will run at a slower speed or it will pulse to create the turning direction . The twin axle motor mover would need to have the wiring reversed or changed to a single axle setting to allow it to act as a single axle to turn in 180 degress with the skates .

Dave

just been on the phone to cjauto's and they confim that the weight is on the rollers and will not effect the back axle so will be getting a set.

thanks for the links .

mike

Its impossible to swivel a twin axle with a motor mover as a twin axle motor mover works completely different to a single axle motor mover .

On a single axle motor mover the turning is created by the motors running in opposite directions making one wheel turn backwards as the opposite runs forward . On a twin axle both motors run in the same direction but one motor will run at a slower speed or it will pulse to create the turning direction . The twin axle motor mover would need to have the wiring reversed or changed to a single axle setting to allow it to act as a single axle to turn in 180 degress with the skates .

Dave

that interesting my truma mover rollers do not go the opposite direction when turning

volvo xc70 D5 se

I don't have a motor mover, so no experience.

If you had only a motor mover fitted on one axle and lifted the other on dollies or skates it would operate the same as a single axle and allow you to pivot it on its axis and for all intense purposes behave as a single axle outfit.

Obviously, it could only be used with skates as tyre scrubbing would be a huge issue and would probably result in the demise of the mover through overloading. It is possible though. Maybe a cheaper option for some that would only need to maneuver a twin on their drive. .. one single axle mover and one pair of skates.

FT

I don't have a motor mover, so no experience.

If you had only a motor mover fitted on one axle and lifted the other on dollies or skates it would operate the same as a single axle and allow you to pivot it on its axis and for all intense purposes behave as a single axle outfit.

Obviously, it could only be used with skates as tyre scrubbing would be a huge issue and would probably result in the demise of the mover through overloading. It is possible though. Maybe a cheaper option for some that would only need to maneuver a twin on their drive. .. one single axle mover and one pair of skates.

FT

that is what i have a single axle mover and with these skates it will make turning it helpful.

mike

volvo xc70 D5 se

Skates would be no good in our storage compound as ground is gravel and loose stone. Easier to turn though as minimal scuffing.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

They should to allow a 180 degree turn on a single axle . one roller will run forwards and the other reverse direction .

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=CAeqWkYQpi4&feature=related

Dave

Archived