Snow Chains ! Or Is It A Joke On Us

When we arrive on the northern cost of Spain on the 19th Jan 2012 to start our very first winter trip to the south of spain and then try to cross over the mountains, we have been told that we will be required by the police to have snow chains with us. Is this realy so? :unsure:

Think if its that bad we'll be looking for a sunny camp site on the north coast until the weather changes!

Please put our minds at rest one way or the other :(

J&S Hayling Is

Edited by jonsylv

http://driving. drive. ..ter_driving. htm

I think you do need them. :rolleyes:

http://driving. drive. ..ng-in-spain. htm

This may help as well.

Snow chains are recommended to be carried in the Spanish Pyrenees and all mountainous regions of Spain during winter, and if you do not carry and fit them when conditions demand the police can prevent you continuing your journey. Click for general

information on winter tyres and snow chains.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I have heard that too!

I wonder is it just over a particular period (eg Dec, Jan & Feb)?

I wait with baited breath as we are coming back up thru' Spain in late November next year!

G.

Snow chains are recommended but no mention of being compulsory (unless I've misread it )although if conditions dictate the Guarda Civil Traffico may tell you to park up .

We encountered snow on route to Madrid from Santander in Febuary this year and although it was deep on the road side the carriageway was clear and the Spanish Authority's seem well geared up to deal with it .

I do not have chains although I have Winter tyres fitted and AWD

Edited by neil and lena

Certain couintries in Europe (or parts of) insist by statute on snow chains being carried in the vehicle with this also includig the fitment of winter tyres.

The only way to be totally safe is to make contact with either the CC who carry the relevant information on these matters or the governments of the countries you are planning to visit.

I've travelled down through Spain in mid November and again in early January for the past eighteen winters and although there has been plenty of snow laying on the surrounding countryside, the roads have always been clear. I have noticed that when inclement weather is forecast, gritting lorries and snow ploughs are deployed on motorway roundabouts in case of need. On the A1 and A4 during the last two years huge, fenced parking areas have been formed every five or six miles along the routes. If a sudden snowfall does make the roads difficult, traffic police direct HGVs into them until such time as the road is clear. Incidentally, I have never carried snow chains neither have I been asked to show them.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I was suprised to see snow north of Madrid in May 2 years ago but as already described the snow ploughs were very much in evidence and totally in contrast to our UK practice.

Must admit that i do carry a set of snow chains, although i have not had to use them as yet, for peace of mind it may be worth getting a set, they are not that expensive.

Phil.

Hi, It snowed in the north of Spain yesterday,above 1500 metres, chains are more often used on the smaller side roads than motorways. A long time ago I travelled from Santander through the mountains, the snow at the side was very deep but the journey was littered with huge snow plows, and no I didn¡t have chains. I do now.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a good journey and enjoy yourself.

Tom

Edited by lute

I agree with John Douglas. Your journey south through Spain will probably be almost entirely on major roads. You will not encounter conditions where snow chains are needed. As you cross central Spain (where altitude can be 6,000 ft or so) you may experience very low temperatures, so take precautions against frost damage. Enjoy the stunning scenery.

Certain couintries in Europe (or parts of) insist by statute on snow chains being carried in the vehicle with this also includig the fitment of winter tyres.

The only way to be totally safe is to make contact with either the CC who carry the relevant information on these matters or the governments of the countries you are planning to visit.

This is very sensible advice and I would stick to it, certain European countries do indeed insist and can be very keen to enforce the statute.

Coachman Amara 380/2

When we arrive on the northern cost of Spain on the 19th Jan 2012 to start our very first winter trip to the south of spain and then try to cross over the mountains, we have been told that we will be required by the police to have snow chains with us. Is this realy so? :unsure:

Think if its that bad we'll be looking for a sunny camp site on the north coast until the weather changes!

Please put our minds at rest one way or the other :(

J&S Hayling Is

http://www. snowchains. co. uk/main/qanda. html

http://driving. drive. ..ter_driving. htm

I think you do need them. :rolleyes:

http://driving. drive. ..ng-in-spain. htm

This may help as well.

Snow chains are recommended to be carried in the Spanish Pyrenees and all mountainous regions of Spain during winter, and if you do not carry and fit them when conditions demand the police can prevent you continuing your journey. Click for general

information on winter tyres and snow chains.

The Caravan Club said the following -

There is no specific law in Spain and its is not a legal requirement to carry snow chains

However if the roads are covered in snow or ice the Police can stop motorists and refuse

to let them continue there journey if they are not carrying snow chains or equipped to deal

with the weather condition's

We drove Santander to Nerja solo at the end of January this year via A1 and A4 and as said by others the motorways were completely clear in the mountainous areas, even though there was snow around. In the mountains we noticed a lot of road signs that indicated that HGVs needed to pull off the motorway into huge car parks in the event of snow. We stayed overnight at Mirasierra in the mountains north of Madrid and the temperature was -15 C the following morning (don't know what the minimum was overnight). There was a good snow shelter in the hotel car park, but I couldn't open the rear car doors and the handbrake was frozen on and took a few miles before it finally released, so be warned about the frost. In places the scenery is absolutely stunning, but in others it's miles and miles of lunar landscape covered with millions of olive trees.

Jimbo