Oct 2011 4X4 Reliability Figures Are Out

A11

I never take these figures to serious as they are only based on people who feel the need to take out warranty insurance .

Dave

I never take these figures to serious as they are only based on people who feel the need to take out warranty insurance .

Dave

Neither do I Dave 99% total old tosh as far as I am concerned!

http://www. reliabilityindex. com/reliability/search/136

The index is always a good indicator, but i was a bit surprised to only see the old xtrail T30 in the listing, and with a high repair average of near £600.

But when looking at more detail they then contradict them selfs quoting a lower figure?

http://www. whatcar. com/car-news/reliability-survey-2011/258307

I think I would rather go with this as a concept, talking to a Freelander (company car) driver in Hull recently he told me he had a an old Musso as a family car as it was more reliable!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

http://www. whatcar. c. ..vey-2011/258307

I think I would rather go with this as a concept, talking to a Freelander (company car) driver in Hull recently he told me he had a an old Musso as a family car as it was more reliable!

geoff

I think you will find they use the same source.

Hence the Honda HRV near the top again

My daughter has a Honda and best car she has ever had by far. ...........mind you she had an Alfa Romeo before that!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I am always suspicious of these stats, given how much bad publicity Warranty Direct has had recently how representative are the figures over all the ones on the road without their warranty.

The What car figures show 3 different model Freelanders at 213, 130 and 44 but then that fits in with the age of vehicles so how does that show anything.

• 1 month later...
My daughter has a Honda and best car she has ever had by far. ...........mind you she had an Alfa Romeo before that!

geoff

I've had 3 Alfa Romeos and they have all been (by far) the best, most enjoyable and reliable cars I've owned. Owned the first 2 both from new and owned each for just over 3 years.

My 5 series BMW (E61) was by far the least reliable and I only had that for 2 1/2 years.

Make of that what you will.

My mate's uncle's girlfriend's brother once knew a bloke who had a Ford Anglia and it was rubbish - so don't buy one of them :)

My mate's uncle's girlfriend's brother once knew a bloke who had a Ford Anglia and it was rubbish - so don't buy one of them :)

My second cousin once had a good Ford Anglia, and it was great, so buy one. :D

Take anything Honest John says with a big inch of salt - he's not al that, plus he's in bed with Warranty Direct anyway.

ANY 4 X 4 is expensive to run and maintain, they are inherently unreliable by there very nature because of their component parts.

How can you compare a Honda Hr-V to a Range Rover,, (a HR-V cost £15K and a Range Rover cost upwards of £90K, also note the Honda is a cross-over not a 4 X 4.) I know which one I'd want to be in off road or in snow and that's the Big R. Even the reviews say the Honda is not great off road!

Lastly, the Freelander 2 is an immensely capable vehicle and the probably the most reliable out of the Land Rover marque, second only to the Defender.

P

That was probably me.

I had a Spruce Green 1964 ‘Anglebox’ when it was nearly 3 years old (giving away my age a bit) and as it was my first car, at £165 it was my baby.

Was it rubbish? absolutely !!

Rotten as a pear at 4 years old, front wings needed replacing, rotten chassis (loose use of term) needed major welding work including failed McPherson Strut mounts. Sills rotted off. Most of the steering and tracking components failed its first MOT just after buying it. Took my girlfriend up to Blackpool to impress her as soon as I got it….yeh I know. ...took a pint of oil to get us there and back on the 200 odd miles round trip.

Needed to wear breathing apparatus if I opened the bonnet with the engine running with the amount of smoke belching from the crankcase breather, major loss of what little power it was born with forcing a premature decoke in my attempts to exceed the legal speed limit to impress my girlfriend again. ..later confirmed at just a tad over 70 by a copper on a bike who pulled me over for a chat. ..he had never had cause to stop one at that speed before :P . ...chuffed or what.

Not long after I bought it took her (girlfriend) out for a spin in it, went through a flood, she let out a yell, what’s up now? The inner wing by her leg had rotted, the weight of the voltage regulator which was welded to it caused it to fall off pulling a chunk of inner wing out with it and the flood water shot in through the gaping hole giving her a shower costing me a new pair of tights.

Kept it 12 months, wore a Haynes manual out in that short period, then flogged it for a Hillman Imp, thereby hangs another tale.

Still have fond dreams of that Anglia 40 years later, can’t understand why.

Happy days.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I can remember driving Angle boxes 105E that you could see the road through the floor and when you stepped in you had to not put your feet on the floor and straight on the pedals or you would go through it as it was that rotten . . Still better than the 100E with its 3 speed and wipers that slowed the faster you went because they worked off the manifold vacuum . :lol:

I read the other day that the govenment is looking at making pre 60s cars MOT excempt that will make the classic car owners happy .

Dave

Sounds like my first car, a Mini 1000. To get it through it's MOT I just pop rivited a bit of plate to the floor. Before that it was interesting watching the road pass underneath you. I always took the carpet out when it rained and wore wellies! Halcyon days!

Having said that, we've got a 1957 Moggie with a dynamo. That too causes the wipers to get faster or slower with revs, and the lights to get brighter or dimmer. The semaphore indicators cause much amusement to our offspring though. :D

Freelander? Reliable? As Buddy Holly said

That'll be the day. ..............

Must be today!!!! Mines fine.

Strange that the people who slag them off the most frequently have never had one. I bought my 1st solely because I wanted a good towing vehicle but now wish I had tried one much earlier, I would definately buy another. On or off road, snow or flood it has always done what I asked of it.

Nothing wrong with a gIMP. Every tool you could possibly need would fit in a small tool box, the only problem was you needed them rather frequently.

Sunbeam Imp Sport, 1. 1L engine with L2 cams,2 Weber twin 40 DCOE carbs, Vitesse front disks, 100Ah battery (to hold the front down) twin Hella Headlamps, Spots, Driving and Fog Auxilliary lamps (and an uprated alternator), safety devices roll cage, Luke 5 Point harnesses, recaro seats (none in the back) Halda mechanical trip

And lots of fun. ... sad to see it go :(

That was probably me.

I had a Spruce Green 1964 ‘Anglebox’ when it was nearly 3 years old (giving away my age a bit) and as it was my first car, at £165 it was my baby.

Was it rubbish? absolutely !!

Rotten as a pear at 4 years old, front wings needed replacing, rotten chassis (loose use of term) needed major welding work including failed McPherson Strut mounts. Sills rotted off. Most of the steering and tracking components failed its first MOT just after buying it. Took my girlfriend up to Blackpool to impress her as soon as I got it….yeh I know. ...took a pint of oil to get us there and back on the 200 odd miles round trip.

Needed to wear breathing apparatus if I opened the bonnet with the engine running with the amount of smoke belching from the crankcase breather, major loss of what little power it was born with forcing a premature decoke in my attempts to exceed the legal speed limit to impress my girlfriend again. ..later confirmed at just a tad over 70 by a copper on a bike who pulled me over for a chat. ..he had never had cause to stop one at that speed before :P . ...chuffed or what.

Not long after I bought it took her (girlfriend) out for a spin in it, went through a flood, she let out a yell, what’s up now? The inner wing by her leg had rotted, the weight of the voltage regulator which was welded to it caused it to fall off pulling a chunk of inner wing out with it and the flood water shot in through the gaping hole giving her a shower costing me a new pair of tights.

Kept it 12 months, wore a Haynes manual out in that short period, then flogged it for a Hillman Imp, thereby hangs another tale.

Still have fond dreams of that Anglia 40 years later, can’t understand why.

Happy days.

Not the hillman imp that blow head gaskets i hope.

I bought a 5year old 1966 Mk1 cortina, kept it for 7 years. Great car.

My mate had quite a few cars during that time, two where the stiletto (might be spelt wrong), the engine was prone to blowing head gaskets, i think it was air cooled?

Edited by xtrailman

I had a 5year old 1966 Mk1 cortina, kept 7 years.

I reckon that must have been at least 7 years old. <_<

I think henrypartridge out to enlighten us to what we all should have as most of his posts are along the similar lines to the one posted here, but he doesn't say what we should have!

Go on, tell us :huh: