Happy New Car Day To Me!

stu22

Well after much time deliberating, I have finally put my money down against a new(er) car.

After the disappointment of dealing with Hyundai for a new or nearly new Santa Fe and being unable to find a new shape Ford S-Max in the spec I wanted, I searched on a car I previously considered but again was unable to fiund the spec I wanted but came up trumps this time.

Take delivery of a 2009 Citroen C-Crosser 2. 2 HDi Exclusive soon - very very nice spec including cream leather, sat nav, reversing camera etc. Even has an unused detachable towbar fitted.

Has done 24K miles with full history with 1 local owner. Citroen have also agreed to carry out the next service FOC in March, 1 years warranty, 6 months tax and have even agreed to underwrite the DMF/clutch for 12 months due to some reports on-line of slippage when under load.

Looking forward to owning it as IMHO its a great looking 'soft' 4x4, drives really well, well spec'd and should tow a treat. ...

Well done Stu, You have the same car same spec as me. I am sure you will like it. I bought mine as an ex-demonstrator with 625 miles on the clock and it's only done 15,000 now. Don't worry about the D. M. F. unless you are a jack rabbit from the traffic lights or one who slips the clutch or tows much too heavy a 'van. I am informed by my friend who is a service manger that when you have anything go wrong with the D M F if you allow it to cool down, it will be back to normal. Don't forget that Ford use that engine in their 2. 2 Mondeos because they haven't got a diesel engine anywhere near as good. If you want to chat about the new car privately, please feel free to P. M. me

Regards Peter.

Good news Peter - thanks.

Our van has a MTPLM of 1475kg, so well within the limits of the vehicle and I do have a fair degree of mechanical sympathy so never abuse clutches. From what I have read of the reported failures seem to stem from an oil leak on to the clutch rather than an actual failure but hope never to need the warranty!

Have always liked the diesel engines that Peugeot/Citroen put out, have driven many over the years and always found them best of the bunch. The 2. 2 in my current Mondeo is one of the older Ford units and whilst it has plenty of torque and power (has a tuning box fitted), it does not seem to have the refinement of the HDi engines.

Congrats on your 'new' car and I hope you have many miles of happy and troublefree motoring with it.

In case you are unaware this vehicle is built by Mitsubishi in the Netherlands-in the old Daf plant- and shares it's underpinnings with the Mitsubishi Outlander. There will also be a Peugeot version the 4007 soon.

Regards.

Col

Congrats on your 'new' car and I hope you have many miles of happy and troublefree motoring with it.

In case you are unaware this vehicle is built by Mitsubishi in the Netherlands-in the old Daf plant- and shares it's underpinnings with the Mitsubishi Outlander. There will also be a Peugeot version the 4007 soon.

Regards.

Col

Did read about the link with the Outlander, thanks.

Only complaint I have so far is the insurance grouping, its nearly double that of the equivalent Outlander! Insurance is on-par with my current Mondeo ST, was hoping for it to be less.

That is a good looking car but I had an interesting talk with the guy on the pitch next to me at the weekend - he wasn't happy with his C-Crosser because he said the rear suspension was just too soft for towing. Lovely to drive solo but not confidence-inspiring with a shed on the back. He also missed the self-levelling suspension of his previous car as the C-Crosser really sunk down when towing. He was asking about my SF because he was thinking of changing. ..

Sorry, don't mean to be critical - hopefully you won't have his issues. ...

I am on my 2nd C-Crosser, but both have been manuals and exclusive spec, both have been owned from new and have been fantastic. It tows our Crusader Tempest with no issues. I've no idea what the guy is on about with the rear suspension, we load up with 2 kids in the back, 2 dogs in the load area and 3 bikes on the roof. Yes it does drop slightly at the rear but that is to be expected, I can only think the noseweight must be excessive in his case.

One thing you MUST remember is that you can't drop the lower tailgate with the towbar fitted, this is a bit of a pain for us as we have a barjo dog gate fitted and can't open this with the bar on.

But this is the only real niggle. Just out of interest if you want even more power it is possible to fit a tuning box to improve power and torque.

Don't forget that Ford use that engine in their 2. 2 Mondeos because they haven't got a diesel engine anywhere near as good. Regards Peter.

Its the usual Ford/PSA diesel collaboration isn't it? and therefore more Ford than Citroen when you read the details of the development of these engines.

?

Hi Stu, I agree with the comments about the insurance group and I haven't had a definative answer as to why. Re; back suspension, I really dont know what people do with noseweights!! I load my Hymer 470 with a full 110 lbs noseweight and the back end doesn't move, what's going on!! Regards Peter

But this is the only real niggle. Just out of interest if you want even more power it is possible to fit a tuning box to improve power and torque.

Have already been looking at option there - Have a Synergy box on my current Mondeo, totally transformed the car. What boxes are recommended for the 2. 2HDi?

Hi Stu, I agree with the comments about the insurance group and I haven't had a definative answer as to why. Re; back suspension, I really dont know what people do with noseweights!! I load my Hymer 470 with a full 110 lbs noseweight and the back end doesn't move, what's going on!! Regards Peter

Did wonder regarding nose weights - at the end of the day whether its 75kg in the boot or on the hitch, its still 75kg! Shouldn't affect the rear suspension that much. To be honest my motorbike trailer is likely to load the tow hitch more than the carvan would. ...

Hi Stu. I'm using the speedhawk tuning box, very easy plug in and go unit, easily removed and can be reprogrammed if changing cars. The back up and support are excellent with updates downloadable via laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the car a few days now, first impressions are very good. Fuel consumption is understandably worse than the Mondeo but its a bigger car.

Hi again Stu, I get around 36-38 mpg around town etc. towing takes it down to 30 mark. for that reason I was considering a tuning box to improve the torque and therefore the MPG. I've had mine for over 2 1/2 years and still love it, let the others mock if they want!!! Regards Peter.