Abs Rear Panel Mystery 2005 Avondale Dart

ramar

I have previously posted this topic in the Avondale section but judging by the response it would seem that this problem is not specific to Avondale. So I am hoping that maybe somebody reading Caravan Chat has come across this before with a different manufacturer and can help to solve the mystery.

I have been having a problem with the number plate removing itself from it's housing. After refitting it into it's housing a number of times I discovered the reason for it's reluctance to stay put. Something quite large & weighty ( smooth & I think is GRP or ABS ) inside the rear panel has become loose and the weight was pushing the light from the housing. With the light removed I can feel this item with my finger which I am guessing is perhaps a reinforcing piece for the back panel which has become detached.

Does anybody know if my assumption is correct and any suggestions how can I solve the problem without removing the whole rear panel.

I can't think that mine is the only van to experience this malaise. The van has not been in any collision since I have owned the van but some of the roads on recent trip in Portugal were a bit rough.

You would need expert advice but thinking sideways, would expanding polystyrene foam stick the errant item down. Don't use much as the pressure this can exert as it expands is tremendous.

Thank you Alan, thats seems like a solution to stop it moving about which I will probably try in the spring but I was hoping to gain some knowledge as to what it's purpose was and whether it was an indication of other problems to come. I have also noticed a few more cracks in the front& rear ABS panels which seem fairly common across all makes.

Thanks for the interest Gump & yes I have fixed the registration plates with sticky pads although here in France they are supposed to be riveted.