Jockey Wheel

pjones469

hi all i've recently inherited and old caravan the jockey wheel is fitted to the A frame but is rusted solid.

any body got any advice on how to replace/repair, also which way does it turn to go down clockwise or anti.

sounds stupid i no but am new to this.

Hi Mr Jones

The Jockey wheel is fastened to the A frame with a clamp, the assembly may either be mounted on the side of the A frame or centrally

48mm-jockey-wheel-with-clamp-2-ton.jpg

Use a freeing agent or penetrating oil such as Plus Gas if the clamp or screw in lever is seized, undo the clamp and slide the jockey until the wheel touches the ground and then re-tighten the clamp.

Raise the corner steadies (Don't try to jack up the caravan by using the steadies or you'll damage the chassis) and turn the handle clockwise to lower the jockey wheel which will raise the front of the caravan.

Sometimes there's a grease nipple on the jockey assembly, apply automotive grease and you should be ok.

Edit:

I meant to add that a replacement assembly costs between £25-£30 and if your raise the assembly with the steadies down and wind the handle clockwise the bottom part of the assembly will separate from the top half in order to remove it altogether.

Most caravan accessory shops will sell replacement parts if you need them.

Edited by parksy

As Parksy says try to wind up and down to free it then if / when it frees unwind all the way and the 2 sections will come apart give it a good clean out spray with wd40 or the likes until it runs freely then cover the worm thread with grease and refit together and off you go. If you cant free it check the diameter and try these cheaper than Towsure and if the one you decide on is more than £20 you get free delivery :D (no connection to the firm )

http://www. discount-towing. co. uk/category/7425-Jockey_Wheels_and_Clamps

Edited by dave11a

Was just going to suggest the good old WD40 as it's older caravans i've always had / have :) Helped someone with theirs the other week as it wouldn't budge, wound it down and it fell apart after a good skoosh with WD40 and a big pair of pliers to release it. Got it back together and tightened up again no problem, it had just been lying in storage for ages and hadn't moved but was ok.

Compass Shadow 1988

hi all i've recently inherited and old caravan the jockey wheel is fitted to the A frame but is rusted solid.

Before spending out on a new jockey wheel, I would also look at the rest of the chassis and the wheels and brake system. Those also may be rusted solid and beyond redemption.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

To make the jockey wheel section lower and unscrew you should turn the handle anticlockwise and it will drop out the bottom allowing it to be oiled and greased but there could be a chance that the lower section will not completely unscrew on some types of jockey wheel and to get it apart then you need to knock out the roll pin in the handle and drop it then out of the main body from the bottom .

Dave

thanks for the advice guys

update - using a good pair of pliers managed to strip the pin so the handle sepearated from the rest

good news brute force and ignorance freed it off greased and oiled just need to fix the handle.

regarding the clamp it is attached to the inside of the a frame and the bolt holding it in has snapped

so getting the sleeve out is probably not an option.

I always remember Righty-Tighty Lefty-Loosey

Thanks i'll (try) and remember that too :D

Compass Shadow 1988