Axle Stands

springtime

I've had a good rummage about in my garage and unearthed a couple of old axle stands.

Perhaps I should use these under the caravan to lift the wheels off the ground and prevent flat spots on the tyres.

It also means that I can leave the Bulldog Max wheel lock on which will keep my insurance compant happy.

I am assuming that the axle stands should be located under the axle as near to the wheels as posible.

Is this correct?

Any advice would be appreciated.

To take the weight off the axle it is OK to use the axle plates.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hi Springtime, good point about where to place the axle stands. With the winds we have been getting recently, even with the steadies down as well, I wonder if you could get a gust enough to blow the 'van sideways and actually topple it off the axle stands.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a piece of something like an old railway sleeper, cutting a notch in it and placing it as near to the A frame as possible. I don't think I would like to go to the trouble of raising it up off the wheels, only to loose the benefit of being able to store the wheels safely indoors. Maybe you could get around the insurance wheel lock thingy by finding an old steel wheel with the correct P. C. D. (doesn't have to have a tyre on it) then making a suitable size hole in it where you need to fit the Al-Ko lock.

Just a thought, perhaps someone will tell me i'm wrong somewhere, but it seems like a good idea!! Peter.

Just to clarify, the axle plate is the part thats bolted to the chassis just below the axle?

Yes. It will be the strongest bit you are seeking and the axle is then 'resting'

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

As an aside, when jacking the van to change a wheel, could this spot be used for the jack instead of under the actual axle?

It is where a service engineer used his jack on mine once. He also suggested my info to you.

I have not been under for a while so I can't describe the configuration but it is a strong point you seek.

I use a side jack but you need the car on the hook to prevent the van from twisting on the jack.

The best place to put axle stands are supporting the axle directly behind the brake backplate.

Second best is the reinforced chassis web where the axle comes through the chassis.

Last, and ONLY for wheel changing is a sidelift jack.

Those are the ONLY places to use to jack a caravan.

NEVER jack on the chassis rails

I suggested the side lift jack to pick the van up to put the axle stand in place. :)

I've had a good rummage about in my garage and unearthed a couple of old axle stands.

Perhaps I should use these under the caravan to lift the wheels off the ground and prevent flat spots on the tyres.

It also means that I can leave the Bulldog Max wheel lock on which will keep my insurance compant happy.

I am assuming that the axle stands should be located under the axle as near to the wheels as posible.

Is this correct?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes

Just checked the axle stands - they state maximum load of 1500kg each.

I am assuming that they will be strong enough for my van which has a max laden weight of 1450.

Am I correct?

Just checked the axle stands - they state maximum load of 1500kg each.

I am assuming that they will be strong enough for my van which has a max laden weight of 1450.

Am I correct?

They should be more than suitable.

Your van would need to weigh over 3000Kgs to exceed that !

What does your ground/base consist of?? gravel /tarmac etc

i needed to put a steel plate under my axle stands as they were 'sinking' into the tarmac on the drive !!

you may need something to prevent the same. ;)

They should be more than suitable.

Your van would need to weigh over 3000Kgs to exceed that !

I think i know why the question was asked, i have bought some 3 ton jacks today from B&Q, they certainly don't look over engineered given the 3 ton rating, so i would imagine the 1500kg ones don't look substantial?

I think i know why the question was asked, i have bought some 3 ton jacks today from B&Q, they certainly don't look over engineered given the 3 ton rating, so i would imagine the 1500kg ones don't look substantial?

Ah! Didnt think of it from that angle.

I have a set which I use when under the car, they don't look much, but have done me well downthe years. However,they are used for short duration only. The ones I'm looking at for the van are rated the same but appear to be much more sturdy. They will have to bear the weight of the van for 6 months or so at a time.

When supporting the caravan on axle stands, to stop the interaction of the diferent metals I always line the area between both areas with some old tyre sidewall or innertube so as to stop any metal to metal contact.

Yup, absolutely right. These stands are probably 40 years old and have served me well over the years but they do not look that substantial.

What does your ground/base consist of?? gravel /tarmac etc

i needed to put a steel plate under my axle stands as they were 'sinking' into the tarmac on the drive !!

you may need something to prevent the same. ;)

That's a good thought - the bases of my stands are just pointed angle iron so they are going to sink into the tarmac.

I'll have to put a wooden base under them.

When supporting the caravan on axle stands, to stop the interaction of the diferent metals I always line the area between both areas with some old tyre sidewall or innertube so as to stop any metal to metal contact.

Excellent idea as different metals often react with each other creating potential corrosion problems. I have some old butyle pond liner so I'll use a few layers of that.

Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by springtime

Yes i use some 3mm thick rubber sheeting i still have, it stops the galvanized finnish being damaged, movement takes place in strong winds and when you go inside the caravan.

I also use some 8mm rubber between the trolley jack and chassis, to prevent the jack digging into the galvanizing.

Right,

I've jacked the van up and put it on the axle stands ensuring a layer of rubber is between the stand and the van (cut a couple of old car rubber mats for this).

Hitch covered, handbrake off, water drained, toilet emptied & flush drained.

Just waiting for a dry spell so that I can put the cover on.

Thanks for your help guys. :)

Post a photo on the Gallery of the chassis and the stand?

i have put mine on axle stands today, jacked it up behind the wheel which seemed to have a reinforced plate covering the whole chassis, the stands were then placed about 6 inches from inside the wheel (the part inbetween the chassis rails/ axle beam?)

have i done right here or wrong?

Edited by jamesnshell

Done mine tonight too. The van seemed a bit wobbly at first, but I think that was me just being nervous. ( Had to jack it up without hitching it to towcar.

Haven't removed the wheels yet as caravan club want me to keep the wheel clamp on as an anti-theft device.

To answer your question James: that sounds exactly like what I've done. ;)

FatherTed, glad to hear you have done it the same way, really cant be doing with changing it tomorrow. Mine is now ready for the winter months now althought im getting more nervous about mice invasion as we live opposite farmers fields. .. jeyes fluis around steadies and sealant around all holes i think!!

Haven't removed the wheels yet as caravan club want me to keep the wheel clamp on as an anti-theft device.

I don't know if anyone has ever done so, but I do think that this matter ought to be brought to the attention of the CC as a caravan without any wheels at all is one hell of a lot harder to nick than one that has some kind of xyz wheel clamp fitted to it !!

Furthermore; anyone who knows anything about tyres will tell you that it is best practice if at all possible to remove wheels and store in a cool dark place to avoid degradation as well as to stop them flat spotting as any tyre under load always does if left in a static position.

I don't know if anyone has ever done so, but I do think that this matter ought to be brought to the attention of the CC as a caravan without any wheels at all is one hell of a lot harder to nick than one that has some kind of xyz wheel clamp fitted to it !!

I did make that point in passing, but it fell on deaf ears!!