Awning Problem

Maffffster

Hi,

Im current away in our new van with a new awning and i thought id put the awning up correctly but with all the rain we've had one of the roof sections (size 17 awning) is filling with water. Is these normal on bigger awnings and Does anyone have any suggestion how to over come this ?

Thanks

How many roof poles does your awning have. The size of your awning suggest that you should in reality have a minimum of five. If you have five and the water is pooling on one side try moving on of the roof poles to that side. Also you may find that to move the roof pole at the end of the pooling panel to a higher angle, It's all trial and error I am afraid.

I agree with the above about trial and error and just having to try things out. Be careful with water pooling as we lost an awning on a seasonal pitch years ago because of this. We hadn't been up a couple of weekends and the site worker had pushed the water off whilst doing his rounds, although he wasn't meant to due to insurance reasons :rolleyes: but it just got too heavy one time and tore.

Is there any way the awning could maybe be too big or possibly just needing tightened up, poles moved along and outward etc.

Compass Shadow 1988

Agree with all above comments. We used to have this problem with our previous caravan, an Avondale, and finished up with both extra roof poles going from caravan to edge and also a couple of extras going between them, so parallel to caravan. As mentioned above the best layout can only be found by trial and error. New caravan and awning on same pitch have been great, no problems. The previous awning was an Isabella, new one is a Ventura so cost of awning does not necessarily make any difference. Most caravan dealers stock spare poles at not ridulous prices.

Thanks guys, yes it has 5 poles and is the right size.

Ive tighten the poles up Some more after all the rain because as it's a new awning I guess it has a bit of stretch in the material. I will try moving the poles as suggested and enjoy the trial and errors lol

Hi

As has been said it is a bit of trial and error, make sure awning is pegged tight up to caravan and that little triangular pieces are pegged against the van prior to doing any pegging at front or fully tensioning poles, after pegging against van do the 2 outer legs and peg them tight and square, look down both sides of awning for straight line .

when doing poles do the front apex poles and legs, leave the roof bars until last, as has been said correct pegging and tensioning of poles helps a lot, having a lot of roof bars helps the structure of the awning, it does however only double or treble the amount of puddles if tensioning is not done right, also a code 17 covers (1050-1075) if your A measure was nearer 1050 than 1075 then the roof could be slack and the problem may be difficult to overcome

Hope that helps

I find most problems with awning and rain puddling is if on a slope and the caravan is not level to the surrounding ground causing slack in the material or the caravan to tilt lower than the awning . Make sure the pegs are pulling any slack in the material tight . Poles need to be pulled out tight to stop any sagging in the material and can you drop the front legs slightly. NExt time you pitch you could try some planks under the wheels to increase the height of the caravan and that would increase the slope on the roof of the awning .

I have problems with my present 390 porch awning as rain gets trapped behind the roof cross poles but I now leave the top cross pole out and no problems as it lets the water run off .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Thanks guys, yes it has 5 poles and is the right size.

Ive tighten the poles up Some more after all the rain because as it's a new awning I guess it has a bit of stretch in the material. I will try moving the poles as suggested and enjoy the trial and errors lol

A rather obvious thing, check the attitude (levelling) of the caravan and if necessary

give it a slight tilt so you dont get too much water in the awning side guttering

I think our water gathering was from the previous owners of the awning as the caravan was on a very level pitch and was levelled well but I think the material on the awning was already stretched / ruined due to puddling before.

Compass Shadow 1988