Vanmaster

samm

I have recently purchased a Vanmaster caravan and noticed there isn't a section for Vanmasters in the caravans categoriy so was wondering how many members own a Vanmaster and if there's enough replies to this post maybe a new category coulld be started? Anyway there's at least one member who owns one,any more?

Which Model did you go for?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

it's a 2001 accolade but unusualy it has a fixed bed, i assume it must have been specially ordered by the customer, it has L shaped seating across the front window with the bed toilet and shower at the back,it all fits in a treat and feels quite roomy.

Hi Samm

Welcome to the world of Vanmaster.

We had an Accolade prior to this one.

Ian

Edited by IanV8

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Now you are two. :)

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I was starting to feel a bit lonely for a while! hi Ian thanks for the welcome, I viewed it last weekend and i am picking it up this weekend, Is there anything i need to know about the Accolade did you have any problems with yours? They seem to be a well built caravan.

Samm

They are well built but they still use the same range of cookers, fridges and chassis as other makes, does yours have the ALDE heating system?

They still need the occasional use of a screwdriver to tighten up fittings but at least there are screws not staples.

I had a problem with strange wear to a tyre but there was nothing wrong, suspect I had run it a bit soft.

Do you know the history of yours? who serviced it? was it owned by somebody in the owners club?

I have seen some second hand ones in fabulous condition, well looked after and not over used.

Ours is used and abused a lot and we have just signed up for a factory refurb in January.

Hope you enjoy it.

Hi, I believe we make 3! Its so nice to see someone else on the forum.

We bought our Applause this year 2010 model (we dropped lucky the van was 1 year old and had never been used-nor had it left the factory)

so the losses had been made before we bought it :)

Very very happy with the van. ....the only thing i would say is (which happens for us) when your travelling with the van and if you stop say at the services we have to disconnect the electric plug from the car otherwise it keeps discharging the car battery. I telephoned Vanmaster regarding this and they say yes this is right the plug will discharge the battery unless removed for the period of resting. Apparantly the fridges are designed to keep running. Otherwise all's well.

We hope you enjoy your new van.

We have to disconnect the electric plug from the car otherwise it keeps discharging the car battery. I telephoned Vanmaster regarding this and they say yes this is right the plug will discharge the battery unless removed for the period of resting. Apparantly the fridges are designed to keep running.

That is the first time I have heard of that system of operation.

The normal is for the fridge and battery to be operated from the Alternator on the car.

If they are wiring the caravan to use the car battery it is no wonder the thing goes flat. :rolleyes:

Hi, I believe we make 3!

Left to my wife, we would make it 4 :rolleyes:

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I telephoned Vanmaster regarding this and they say yes this is right the plug will discharge the battery unless removed for the period of resting. Apparantly the fridges are designed to keep running. Otherwise all's well.
I don't think I could live with that system, and would have to introduce an ignition controlled relay to turn off the 12V feed to the fridge.

Still, it's good to see some Vanmaster owners here.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Another one here a 640 transverse bed coming up to 1 year old. This replaced a very bendy Explorer product!!!!!!

Do I make it Number 5 then. Got our Ocxcassion 640, twin bed, this september and absolutely love it. I was interested to hear about the fridge. As a caravan engineer I'll look at mine and see if that's the case. Can't think it is permanently on, as they are normally fed such that they only work once the alternator is up to speed.

Do I make it Number 5 then. Got our Ocxcassion 640, twin bed, this september and absolutely love it. I was interested to hear about the fridge. As a caravan engineer I'll look at mine and see if that's the case. Can't think it is permanently on, as they are normally fed such that they only work once the alternator is up to speed.

I'd be very interested to hear if this does the same with yours. We were told from the factory this is how the new electronics work and experienced this due to stopping for 20mins at a service station hence the car battery was flat.

We've almost got an owners club here.

Mark/Karen your fridge problem does not seem right to me, what's the point in keeping it connected if the battery goes flat anyway.

There was a problem with mine when they were building it and I think they ended up connecting the fridge to the caravan battery as well as the car but through a relay so no problem when the engine is off and the fridge works well on 12v.

Ian

I'm not sure if this is something new since they adopted the new 13 pin plug setup. We connect through a 2x 7 pin to a 13 pin adapter plug. But Vanmaster said if we were to change the car electrics to a 13 pin this would make no difference as it's the way the new electrics are set up on the later models. We were also told that if we fit a cut out relay between the car and caravan then this may cause other problems. ie damage the charger on the caravan.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark/Karen

I have checked out my 640 and it definately does not run the fridge when the 13 pin plug is connected. It only comes on when the car engine starts. There may be a wiring issue either with you plug or car. The fridge circuit should be fed via the grey 7 pin plug on your outfit. As it's a new van yours should not be doing what you say as so you need to get back to vanmaster about it. Are you talking to Steve Balcer at vanmaster as I found him very helpful. Paul

• 4 months later...

Another Vanmaster Owner No. 6 i think! Bought my Occasion TBEW new in August 2010 and so far have spent 15 months in it since then, never at home now, that's what happens when you retire. Love the van even though we had many many teething problems mainly quality issues when purchased but I have to say Vanmaster did sort out all the issues I had. I think I could now write a book on Vanmaster. By the way my fridge freezer only works when the car is running I suggest the problem with getting a flat battery is due to the car (relay) not the Van.

Rob

We recently took the van for a service to Vanmaster. We had a few issues with the van which i am pleased to say Vanmaster sorted them all out for us. As for the car battery discharging it's looking like it is the charging relay on the car, so that is the next thing for us to get sorted.

Thankyou for all your help in your replies.

Welcome Wilksie

Nice to see another VM owner on here.

Are any of the others members of the VM Owners Club or VM Association?

We are members of the VMA, used to be members of the VMOC but most of the rallies are in the south and mid week.

Ian

• 1 month later...

I have had a Vanmaster Accolade TA for about twelve years and can see no likelihood of ever changing it. We have recently spent money on re-upholstering the van and fitting lino tiles to give it a new look but there is nothing on the market that I would change it for as the layout is exactly what we want. The only thing that I would change is the height of the awning rail which is just under the recommended awning height range for most awnings.

Keith

• 5 months later...

cloudberry

Welcome.

VanRoyce were built by Tommy Green one of the founders of VM so you are nearly a member, my van is a Tommy Green build before VM had problems and was bought by Ian Thomson.

Ian