Lidi Sat Dish Offer From This Thursday

Hi All,

Latest offer at Lidi

Sat box, dish, all cables and Sat finder for £59. 99

bet they will all off gone by 9. 05 but you never know,

best wishes

mark

37053[/snapback]

Hi Mark, sounded too good to be true especially as I'm interested in buying some kit like this. Unfortunately, upon reading the samll print on the website, the words "This system does not receive terrestrial or Sky encrypted channels" shattered my hope. Everyone beware, I'm not a techy but I'm steering well clear.

Regards

Gregg. :(:(:(

Guest Hobbybod
. . . .  Unfortunately, upon reading the samll print on the website, the words "This system does not receive terrestrial or Sky encrypted channels" shattered my hope. . . . . . Regards

Gregg. :(  :(  :(

37067[/snapback]

Gregg is correct. These are purely 'Free to Air' (FTA) Satellite TV receivers with NO card slots for SKY or anything else.

I bought one in a kit and fitted grey case ~1yr ago.

They are really set up for Astra 1 and other European satellites, although you can get the FTA BBC programmes on Astra2, but try as I may, I never managed to get BBC radio progs. Eventually gave up and used the Sky receiver from home with the FTV card.

Gregg is correct. These are purely 'Free to Air' (FTA) Satellite TV receivers with NO card slots for SKY or anything else.

They are really set up for Astra 1 and other European satellites, although you can get the FTA BBC programmes on Astra2, but try as I may, I never managed to get BBC radio progs.   Eventually gave up and used the Sky receiver from home with the FTV card.

37083[/snapback]

hi gregg,

yes i too went to the web site, i saw the small print about no sky slots.

i did not want to recommend this unit, but just to inform our members on here, then its up too them it may be some use too somebody.

i too am after setting up for sky set up in the caravan, got the dish, now going to use my existing box from home just need a set up receiver

They are really set up for Astra 1 and other European satellites, although you can get the FTA BBC programmes on Astra2, but try as I may, I never managed to get BBC radio progs.   Eventually gave up and used the Sky receiver from home with the FTV card.

37083[/snapback]

Just before our holiday in Germany and Denmark this summer, I bought a Sky minidish and tripod for the caravan. I took the Digibox from home.

My findings are:-

With my basic/minimum setup, could not get any BBC "home" services outside the UK (including News 24). This is because the BBC services are on a satellite transponder that is focused in narrow beam on the UK. When the BBC moved to this beam (around 2 years ago), many "ex pats" moaned, the BBC relented and put just Radio 2 and Radio 4 back on the wider beam that covers western Europe. ITV (channel 3) is on the same narrow beam as the BBC one.

In every location through Germany and Denmark we could get Sky News, and Euro News (handy for weather and news). We could also get channel 4 (and S4C!).

There is more info here:-

Satcure

I was amazed at the number of people on site with satellite dishes. I even saw them outside (quite small) tents!

My conclusion is to buy a dish for the caravan and take your home Sky Digibox with you. If you venture outside the UK, don't be disappointed if you can't get the main BBC/ITV channels. You will have to live with Sky News, Channel 4, Radio 2 and Radio 4.

Yours

Dave

We have sold "lot's" of dishes for caravans over the years & the general consensus is. .. if you want to get the BBC etc outside of France then you need to go for a larger dish than the "sky mini".

Lots of the mini dishes come out of the box deformed & we scrap about 20% of them, cheap & nasty things. ...

We generally sell the Triax 54cm or larger with the Pace Javelin receiver (very sensitive tuner) & a good . 3db LNB. You must also remember to correctly align the dish with a signal strength meter to obtain the best results.

Customers have reported reliable reception into Germany & the very top of Italy.

Regards

Mal

Guest Hobbybod
We have sold "lot's" of dishes for caravans over the years & the general consensus is. .. if you want to get the BBC etc outside of France then you need to go for a larger dish than the "sky mini".

. . . . We generally sell the Triax 54cm or larger with the Pace Javelin receiver (very sensitive tuner) & a good . 3db LNB. You must also remember to correctly align the dish with a signal strength meter to obtain the best results.

Customers have reported reliable reception into Germany & the very top of Italy.

Regards

Mal

37089[/snapback]

Malt is correct, of course.

I have recently purchased (might even have been from Malt's Co. ??) a 60cm folding arm Triax and 0. 3db LNB for holidays on the continent. (the 90cm one I have is too bloomin' large).

This worked fine nr. Strasbourg and in mid-France, with the Strength and Quality bars, on the set-up screen, at ~80%.

Be aware that the larger the dish, the more accurately you have to 'point' it; both azimuth and elevation. Generally, I did need to 'fiddle' for ~15min or so to get a decent signal.

I bought this kit from Lidl a year or so ago and found the digibox hopeless. However, I still use the dish, LNB, cable, clamp and compass. I also take my Sky digibox from home which is a flat Sony model which fits in to the plastic carry box (after a small modification with a stanley knife) so the whole kit and caboodle is easy to carry around and well protected.

Regards

NRF

'I too am after setting up for sky set up in the caravan, got the dish, now going to use my existing box from home just need a set up receiver '

Mark/Jayne

What is the 'set up receiver' that you need?

I took to France my home skybox, card, remote & my spare Minidish/LNB which I mount on an old camera tripod.

We went as far South as Obernai [Alsace region] below Strasbourg - No problems anywhere - just used a compass - usually viewing within 5 mins.

Mike B)

Also got the Lidl portable satellite kit a couple of months back.

We followed the advice on this board, took the sky box from home and get a really good picture when on site.

Another good tip was to get a portable clothes drier, the Handy Maid from Matalan, with a minimum of adaptation it makes a really effective and light stand for the Sat dish.

We decided to buy a sat finder, it saves hours of frustration. ..

We don't travel outside the UK with the van so the dish size is OK for us.

I saw the ad for this week's sat system at Lidl, got the impression that it was more for domestic use, the dish appears to be metal. The portable model has a plastic dish and is very light.

It might not make any difference but its something to bear in mind. .. :mellow: