Condensation

grasmere59

We have a 2010 Outdoor Revolution New Hampshire full awning and suffer from terrible condensation from the roof/ceiling overnight. It gets all the kit we keep in the awning wet,any ideas anyone on how to stop or reduce it?Our old Bradcot never gave us this problem. Can you get a liner for the roof/ceiling to stop the condensation? Any advice appreciated.

Edited by grasmere59

Think there was a thread on condensation also started a few days ago. I used to suffer terrible condensation with the old single glazed glass windows. Even with the windows open overnight when possible you still had to have a towel or something handy to wipe the windows!

Still use older (80's) caravans but now with the plastic double glazing don't have much of a condensation problem however the key is ventilation. If you can try and leave the windows open just a notch overnight to try and let the air circulate, open them first thing in the morning when you're up for as long as you can.

I also use the wee cheap 99p or so moisture absorbers at all times in the 'van. Not sure if it would help with condensation as such but they do gather alot of moisture!

Sorry just noticed it was in your awning! :rolleyes: I also get a bit condensation but again ventilation I think is the key. We don't get it as bad as you, it's usually first thing in the morning but opening the zips up seems to help.

Compass Shadow 1988

I take it you mean the AWNING gets condensation? Your product is made of nylon and unlike your Bradcot which was probably cotton, it won't breath. When we were tenters we wouldn't go anywhere near a nylon tent because of this problem. Egyptian cotton was always the best. The only thing that I can suggest is to have a cotton liner made by one of the canvas repair people. All the best, Peter.

Ventilation is the only cheap way to cope with it. Have you got any gap at all along the awning/caravan ends. That should be enough.

Most of the moisture is rising up out of the ground. Had it rained before the awning was erected?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I leave the "v" shaped vent at the front apex of the awning open and i thought that would be enough but that has'nt worked,we are on hardstanding at the moment and it has'nt rained for the 3 days we have been here but still condensation. I think it is just something we are going to have to live with i reckon,i will look into getting a internal roof liner or something similar to see if that helps.

I think the warm air you generate in the van is condensing during the cold night. I have a similar problem in my home garage.

I have gone in to find the car covered in a fine mist. This only happens when the humidity is high and is probably a weather related thing.

I have a Barometer which has outdoor sensors and sends Humidity readings. Quite high at the moment.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

My awning (DWT Zelt) has woven acrylic front / sides, which is breathable. Just got back from a week in South Wales, had strong winds, heavy thunder showers also one day with 18 hours of heavy rain and cold nights, not one drop of condensation anywhere inside, had the ‘V’ shaped vent closed to keep the wind out. Very wet on the outside when we packed up. :rolleyes:

We have a 2010 Outdoor Revolution New Hampshire full awning and suffer from terrible condensation from the roof/ceiling overnight. It gets all the kit we keep in the awning wet,any ideas anyone on how to stop or reduce it?Our old Bradcot never gave us this problem. Can you get a liner for the roof/ceiling to stop the condensation? Any advice appreciated.

Is your awning made of polyester or breathable acrylic?

• 3 weeks later...

If your poles are steel this will make any condensation a lot worse, This was one of the benefits of fibre poles when they first came on the market.