Bust Bonnet Release Cable

jonbev

anybody got any ideas how i release the bonnet catch on a mk4 mondeo now the cable is sat in the footwell ??

really really really dont want to go to the dealer and pay daft money for a £20 cable.

removed the engine tray below and gained access from there but cant see the mechanism to frig it from below.

gutted, as it had just sailed through its MOT then this happened. ... :(

I just entered Mk4 Mondeo bonnet release in Google and it gave a lot of options to check. :)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

yeah read all them earlier and posted on talkford etc but other than one post regarding someone elses misfortune that states flicking the release lever to the n/s from underneath (which hasnt worked either) cant find anything that tells me how to open bonnet when theres no cable.

cheers anyway

Go to the local garage and ask a friendly mechanic? He may even show you if you ask nicely?

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Found this on the web?

Hi there, Ok as you say the cable has came away when you pullit from the inside of the vehicle the only ways to open the bonnet is to either move the the bonnet latch lever or remove the bonnet latch in place ( depending on build date )

to carry this out you need to remove the front engine undershields from underneath the vehicle and gain access to the bonnet latch release lever from underneath the vehicle

once the front undershield is removed you should be able to look up and flick the lever on the bonnet latch,

on some earlier models you need to remove the bonnet latch in place by removing the 2 x 10mm screwbolts, from underneath

i suspect you will not need to remove the latch and it will just be a case of flicking the lever on the bonnet latch to open the bonnet,

NOTE - the lever on the bonnet latch must come towards the passengers side in order to unlatch the bonnet

Once the bonnet is open you will need to fit a new bonnet release cable

this is not as big or hard a job as it looks

Once you get the bonnet open i can give you step by step instructions on how to fit this cable

as a garage will charge you around 1. 3 hours labour to fit this cable when it can be done in around 30-40 minutes

thanks bluelightmedic but that was the advice i was following, really the only piece on the web of any use. tried flicking the catch but cant move it. id have thought the bonnet would need to release to its part open position for this to work though ? i suppose i could try to remove the latch plate but not alot of room to get a spanner in there and no room for a socket. its made even more complicated by the sensor that says the bonnet is actually open and wont allow me to double lock the car .

The release probably failed in the first place because the effort to unlatch was high and the Bowden cable was getting corroded. I'd think about a smart slap to the upper face of the bonnet over the latch in case (as is usual) it is covered in road muck/partially rusted and thus very stiff. I suspect a few of those, a spray of penetrating oil onto the latch through the grille, letting it soak in and trying again and you'll eventually get there.

well, took bull by the horns and removed under tray, located the 2x10mm bolts then took 30 minutes undoing them as zero room to move, this removed the back cover of the latch mechanism enabling me to manually move the latch and release the bonnet . now opened, removed the whole locking assembly and nothing wrong with it, moves easily when the pivot arm is operated and flips the locking catch every time, the cable has bust on this operating arm and is very rusty where it sits in the plastic holder, guess its the rust thats frayed the cable.

anyways, Fraud garage wanted to charge me £60 for locking unit that isnt faulty plus £65 to change it when all i need is a £20 cable . ok, might have an issue doing the cable but feeling happy with this mornings work :)

Well that is a good result. Your new found knowledge may help others to save a bob or two as well! B)

Great result! Been there, done that with so many things that worked fine when first assembled but found unexpected and time-consuming ways to fail later.

Great result! Been there, done that with so many things that worked fine when first assembled but found unexpected and time-consuming ways to fail later.

Ford bonnet catches and cables rusted and failed on my early Cortinas. :rolleyes:

Ford bonnet catches and cables rusted and failed on my early Cortinas. :rolleyes:

everything rusted on early cortinas !!! ;)