Brittany Ferries... Experiences?

I've been looking at booking our 2nd holiday abroad next year and have been comparing the various providers.

I came across an interesting situation.

If I book (independently) a return trip Portsmouth -> Caen (late August) returning Santander -> Portsmouth November. . price. . £729 (incl. a 2 berth outside cabin each way).

If I book them as one way journeys I get £290 (Caen), £389 (Santander) total £679 (again same cabins included).

That's £50 discount!!

Any thoughts, opinions, experiences?

G.

P. S. Have found a way of doing it and a particular site we want to visit even cheaper. .. but the above is still odd IMHO!

Hi Chapmag,

I use B/F on a regular basis, we are members of the Property Owners Club and get discounts,the Portsmouth/Caen crossing being used most, thats certainly an anomally, if correct, so I think I'd better do some checks myself in future, if I find any crossings come out cheaper to book single journies instead of return, you're on my Christmas Card list. !!! Catch ya later,indoors.

Edited by indoors

We always used to use Brittany, Portsmouth-Caen as it a reasonable drive for us and we like the ferries. They are way to expensive now so we do the drive to Dover and use DFDS, the savings buy a lot of diesel!

Yes, us too - especially at the current all-time low return crossing costs for a car and caravan (with DFDS using the NEC code) of £54, £58, or £78. 00 return!

Having said that, we did enjoy the experience of crossing with Brittany Ferries when we used the Western Channel crossing.

Edited by ValA

Val.

Save starting a new topic but we are using Brittany Ferries next year for one of our crossings and driving down through France. Do you know if the Clermont Ferand to Millau viaduct is still free from tolls. On my map on the summary page it shows it a different colour (free) but on the detailed page it is the same colours as the normal toll roads.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi,

I understand that Brittany Ferries will not allow you to book a one way ticket from the continent to the UK if you are a UK resident!

Like others have said they are very expensive, I live just outside Plymouth but I calculate that it will be cheaper for me to drive to Dover and then down to Spain rather than use the Plymouth - Santander Crossing (I have no time constraints, which seem to me to be the only advantage of this crossing).

Chris

Hi,

I understand that Brittany Ferries will not allow you to book a one way ticket from the continent to the UK if you are a UK resident!

Like others have said they are very expensive, I live just outside Plymouth but I calculate that it will be cheaper for me to drive to Dover and then down to Spain rather than use the Plymouth - Santander Crossing (I have no time constraints, which seem to me to be the only advantage of this crossing).

Chris

I live 3 miles from the Portsmouth Ferryport and can't bring myself to drive to Dover, then down from Calais to my destination (which is almost always south of the Loire).

If and when I do northern Europe I'll drive to Dover for the cheaper crossings.

We are indeed driving to the Algarve from Caen next late August/early September. .. but the return journey is late November and I'd rather spend a bit extra on a 24 hour crossing from Santander than drive all the way up through France in the cold weather!!

Just my preference that's all!!

Anyway this thread isn't about the pros and cons of Dover and Western Channel it's about anomolies I thought I spotted.

Which you just shot down in flames. . ;) hang on!... how do they know where you are resident you don't input that when buying on their website!! :ph34r:

G

Edited by chapmag

Val.

Save starting a new topic but we are using Brittany Ferries next year for one of our crossings and driving down through France. Do you know if the Clermont Ferand to Millau viaduct is still free from tolls. On my map on the summary page it shows it a different colour (free) but on the detailed page it is the same colours as the normal toll roads.

Thanks

Andrew

Wen we came northwards in 2008 the motorway was free but the bridge itself was a toll.

Yes, the autoroute itself from Clermont Ferrand to Millau is free - but then you have a toll to pay if you cross the viaduct - and then it's free as far as Montpellier or Beziers. You can avoid the viaduct toll by going down into Millau from the north, and then taking the old road back out of the town to the south - but it will add an hour or so to your journey!

Thanks for that. Last time we used it the Viaduct was still being built.

Andrew

Yes, the autoroute itself from Clermont Ferrand to Millau is free - but then you have a toll to pay if you cross the viaduct - and then it's free as far as Montpellier or Beziers. You can avoid the viaduct toll by going down into Millau from the north, and then taking the old road back out of the town to the south - but it will add an hour or so to your journey!

Personally, although I love Millau, I think the toll is worth it just for the experience. NB if you are travelling south come off at the services just before the bridge for the viewing area.

Chapmag

We have been quoted £298 for a return journey Portsmouth - Caen. Although we got the quote for June, I have been told by Camping Cheques that the fare is the same no matter what time of year we go.

The £290 you have been quoted for a single crossing seems very expensive! Maybe it is an overnight ferry and includes a cabin whereas our quote is for leaving in the afternoon. It gets into Caen about 9. 45pm and the campsites stay open to receive the ferry traffic. No need to unhook either. Just put the stays down and then there is little to do the next morning.

Quote: Personally, although I love Millau, I think the toll is worth it just for the experience. NB if you are travelling south come off at the services just before the bridge for the viewing area.

I agree the viaduct is definitely worth a drive over - but we were there when it opened in December 2004 - we drove across on the first day it was open to the public, having made a trip down specially to see the opening! (My OH is a structural engineer and the conception, planning and building of it fascinated us both for many years prior to the opening - we'd holidayed down there many times over the years - and we had predicted the planned route long before it was finalised). However, if you're only going to see it once then I'd definitely see it from underneath - only then do you get any real sense of just how high up you are! Then drive over it on the return journey and you appreciate what a feat of engineering it really is.

Edited by ValA

Chapmag

We have been quoted £298 for a return journey Portsmouth - Caen. Although we got the quote for June, I have been told by Camping Cheques that the fare is the same no matter what time of year we go.

The £290 you have been quoted for a single crossing seems very expensive! Maybe it is an overnight ferry and includes a cabin whereas our quote is for leaving in the afternoon. It gets into Caen about 9. 45pm and the campsites stay open to receive the ferry traffic. No need to unhook either. Just put the stays down and then there is little to do the next morning.

Thanks for that.

I wasn't trying to get the best priced crossing I was just trying to get a feel for what my outbound and inbound ferries might cost (using BF website) for comparison purposes with what the CC and others had to offer.

I've got a deal I'm happy with and it does include. ...

the "free caravan" ferry to Caen (though, for our comfort, we do like to include a day cabin as well)

overnight at Camping Pommiers

One weeks site fees in the Vendee

then 12 weeks ACSI/Camping Cheque sites and

coming back (last week of November 2012) Santander -> Portsmouth.

G.

I booked the same crossings when the 2012 listings first came out: Portsmouth - Caen and Santander - Portsmouth but for the start and end of August.

I tried all combinations, as I always do, but it came to the same price each time

• 1 month later...

Chapmag

we are going out on this crossing and require a late night stop any suggestios? we going in June

we are going out on this crossing and require a late night stop any suggestios? we going in June

We use a nice quiet site in Ranville, Des Capucines, some easy 6 km out of the port off the road signed to Cabourg. It is set up to accommodate late arrivals off the boat. This is best done by advance booking via email where you will get a barrier code and hopefully a 10% pre-booking discount. Late arrivals are done by creeping in and paying in the morning. System works well for the return leg if on the early boat.

Direct email: campingdescapucines. 14@orange. fr

see this for a bit of detail etc: http://www. eurocampings. co. uk/en/europe/france/lower-normandy/calvados/campsite-les-capucines-109842/

We use a nice quiet site in Ranville, Des Capucines, some easy 6 km out of the port off the road signed to Cabourg. It is set up to accommodate late arrivals off the boat. This is best done by advance booking via email where you will get a barrier code and hopefully a 10% pre-booking discount. Late arrivals are done by creeping in and paying in the morning. System works well for the return leg if on the early boat.

Direct email: campingdescapucines. 14@orange. fr

see this for a bit of detail etc: http://www. eurocampi. ..pucines-109842/

found it and I see it's an ACSI site which we use so good and thanks for that info

Hi,

Chris

I've booked from Santander to Plymouth with no problem, the outward leg is through the Camping Club.

Mike