Jump to content

Battery Gas Fire Warning!


mary ross

Recommended Posts

On our local TV news tonight, a man has been seriously burned and his caravan is a write off, seemingly because he had a spare battery stored under the caravan. The fire brigade believe gas from the battery seeped into the caravan, and when he lit a cigarette it exploded, blowing his roof vent off and destroying his caravan.

Only quick thinking fellow caravanners saved him from even worse consequences. They put out the fire with their own extinguishers, got the site fire hose and hosed down the caravan and the poor man. He is believed to have 3rd degree burns, and was airlifted to hospital.

So, watch those spare batteries!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On our local TV news tonight, a man has been seriously burned and his caravan is a write off, seemingly because he had a spare battery stored under the caravan.   The fire brigade believe gas from the battery seeped into the caravan, and when he lit a cigarette it exploded, blowing his roof vent off and destroying his caravan.

Only quick thinking fellow caravanners saved him from even worse consequences.   They put out the fire with their own extinguishers, got the site fire hose and hosed down the caravan and the poor man.   He is believed to have 3rd degree burns, and was airlifted to hospital.  

So, watch those spare batteries!

37049[/snapback]

 

 

Just a quick reply mary Thank you for you post for taking the effort to warn us what may happen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the warning but I very much doubt that it was gas from the battery under the van. Firstly gas is normally heavy than air and will sink to the ground. If the battery was under the caravan, then it is even more unlikely as the gas would have dispersed long before it got into the caravan and finaly the battery would have to give off a huge volume of gas to cause such a massive explosion.

 

The person probably had a gas leak in the caravan from the main bottles probably in the front locker. On the other hand maybe he was an evil poltter and blew himself up! :) We will not know until an investigation is doen by the proper people and not a hyped up mdeia journalist looking for sensationalism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest macSpot

I might be wrong about this, and I am sure somebody will correct me, but I thought that batteries only gave off gas when being charged. (??)

 

MacSpot

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I might be wrong about this, and I am sure somebody will correct me, but I thought that batteries only gave off gas when being charged. (??)

 

MacSpot

37129[/snapback]

 

And they may well have been and an old battery could have gassing excessively(why 2 batteries?). If so, the hydrogen IS lighter than air and it a very explosive mixture.

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I might be wrong about this, and I am sure somebody will correct me, but I thought that batteries only gave off gas when being charged. (??)

 

MacSpot

37129[/snapback]

 

For the most part you are correct as is Mike who says the gas is lighter than air and will rise not fall.

I read this warning and wondered myself as to what actually caused it but because a Fireman said it did. .. I would give it more than the benefit of the doubt until proved otherwise

gary1s.gif

 

Arc Systems are specialist Carver caravan product repairers, committed to providing a comprehensive service as well as spare parts for these popular heaters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...